Opinion Most underrated player(s) in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t know if this should be in most improved or underrated but Keane at Adelaide is genuinely playing very well in games I have seen. Thought he was unlikely to last in the afl when at Collingwood but looks like a very good kpd now.

Scrimshaw
Why are you laughing, Punts ?

Scrimshaw has been fantastic this year as a key defender. Probably our most consistent performer over the first half of the season. Not only stopping his opponent... but knowing exactly when to take the intercept mark, or play it safe and punch the ball away with authority. He is so cool and unflustered. So skillful..

I love the way he calmly sidesteps opponents deep in defence and spots up his teammates with precision passes. Very underrated footballer. He has bulked up a little, but he is still undersized for a KPD. He is an agile 193cm who weaves around better than most KPDs, but he has a good reach (long arms.) Rarely outmarked by his taller opponents.

By holding down a key defensive post, Scrim has also freed up Sicily to play his natural game of reading the play and intercepting the oppo's inside fifties. With Scrimshaw back there, it's like we now have two Sicily's. Both guys are in the AFL's top 10 for intercept possessions

This thread is for the most underrated players in AFL currently. Seems like a perfectly good shout from me, if I don't say so myself... Does your average footy fan even know Scrimshaw exists? I never hear anyone in the media showing him any love. Too busy crapping on about Darcy Moore and Ben McKay.

Who would you say are currently Hawthorn's most underrated players? I was also going to say Sam Frost, who has been consistently safe as houses in 2024. Enjoying the best year of his career. Him and Scrim are holding everything together back there.

Last edited:
Ah the Nic Newman thread.

Why are you laughing, Punts ?

Scrimshaw has been fantastic this year as a key defender. Probably our most consistent performer over the first half of the season. Not only stopping his opponent... but knowing exactly when to take the intercept mark, or play it safe and punch the ball away with authority. He is so cool and unflustered. So skillful..

I love the way he calmly sidesteps opponents deep in defence and spots up his teammates with precision passes. Very underrated footballer. He has bulked up a little, but he is still undersized for a KPD. He is an agile 193cm who weaves around better than most KPDs, but he has a good reach (long arms.) Rarely outmarked by his taller opponents.

By holding down a key defensive post, Scrim has also freed up Sicily to play his natural game of reading the play and intercepting the oppo's inside fifties. With Scrimshaw back there, it's like we now have two Sicily's. Both guys are in the AFL's top 10 for intercept possessions

This thread is for the most underrated players in AFL currently. Seems like a perfectly good shout from me, if I don't say so myself... Does your average footy fan even know Scrimshaw exists? I never hear anyone in the media showing him any love. Too busy crapping on about Darcy Moore and Ben McKay.

Who would you say are currently Hawthorn's most underrated players? I was also going to say Sam Frost, who has been consistently safe as houses in 2024. Enjoying the best year of his career. Him and Scrim are holding everything together back there.

Frost, Scrimshaw and D'Ambrosio are having fantastic years - and none have ever been talked up.

Frost, Scrimshaw and D'Ambrosio are having fantastic years - and none have ever been talked up.
Even when the Hawks were playing like shite earlier on the season, our defence wasn't the problem. They actually kept us competitive in many of those losses. The issue we had was our forward line was in complete disarray - absolutely dysfunctional - and our midfield was getting their arses handed to them every week. Worst in the AFL. Opposition mids were repeatedly strolling forwards unopposed towards goal from centre bounces.

The defence was the one area of the ground where we had the ascendancy, although it can be difficult to see it that way when we concede high scores because of the ineptitude & total lack of defensive pressure from the forwards and mids.

But the coaches & players have fixed things over the past 5 or 6 weeks. Our backline is being protected better by the mids and has looked impregnable (admittedly against some weakened opposition. This Saturday's game vs GWS will provide a sterner test.)

Last edited:
Josh Treacy …. Big grabs and a beautiful kick
It's hard to gauge how the rest of the AFL world rates him at the moment but it feels like if he was a top 10 pick instead of a rookie pick there would be more hype around him.
He's currently 8th in the Coleman whilst having to backup in the ruck for a significant chunk of the year.

It's hard to gauge how the rest of the AFL world rates him at the moment but it feels like if he was a top 10 pick instead of a rookie pick there would be more hype around him.
He's currently 8th in the Coleman whilst having to backup in the ruck for a significant chunk of the year.
Goal kicking accuracy : 80%

Purely based on this season will have to say Sam Frost. In previous seasons I've wanted him out of the team/club for being crap and making stupid decisions over and over again.

This year I've had to eat my hat coz he's a completely different player. He's much more composed, makes good decisions and has rarely been beaten by his opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jye Caldwell.
J.E.T.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back