Remove this Banner Ad

Gas Man

Draftee
Oct 3, 2003
Motlop walks out on Kangaroos

Exclusive
By Michael Gleeson
September 20, 2005

Young star Daniel Motlop has indicated he would like to move interstate to be closer to his family.
Photo: Getty Images

EXCITING Kangaroos forward Daniel Motlop has quit the club, declaring he wants to be traded interstate to be closer to his family in the Northern Territory.

The out-of-contract 23-year-old has tired of life in Melbourne after a year spent battling shoulder and hamstring injuries and believes he needs a fresh start interstate.

The gifted forward had a meeting with Kangaroos coach Dean Laidley and football manager Tim Harrington yesterday morning to inform them of his decision. It is believed the pair were surprised and disappointed by the news, believing Motlop had been close to signing a lucrative deal to stay at the club.

Motlop's manager Alex McDonald of Flying Start last night admitted his client had quit the Kangaroos and said the young player did not have a club in mind in declaring he wanted to be traded.

"It's family reasons, it is not about the Kangaroos because Daniel has been very happy at the Kangaroos and they have been very good for him, but he misses his family in Darwin and would like the opportunity to be closer to home," McDonald said.

That leaves a move interstate likely with the Adelaide clubs, Sydney and the Brisbane Lions the likely destinations — though the Adelaide clubs would seem the most logical move. Motlop is known to be good friends with Peter Burgoyne and it is believed the Power and Adelaide have expressed interest in Motlop in the past.

The Kangaroos had been expecting Motlop to sign a new contract and had been extremely patient and accommodating of the young player through an injury plagued season. The club allowed him to fly home to Darwin for several weeks during this rehab period from shoulder surgery.

Upon returning earlier than expected from the pre-season shoulder injury, Motlop managed three games in rounds 12-14 before straining a hamstring. Days before he was due to make his comeback to the seniors, he again strained the same hamstring, ruling him out for the rest of the year.

Motlop was the great hope for the Roos for next season. The flashy forward with the booming kick and ability to do the unpredictable had emerged as a danger player.

Motlop was taken by the Roos in the first round (pick No. 8 overall) in the 2000 national draft and joined his brother Shannon at Arden Street. Shannon, who played in the Roos' 1999 premiership side in his first year with the club, was cut by the Roos and only this year selected by Melbourne as a replacement for Troy Broadbridge.

Laidley this year was under no misapprehension of the value of the player who last year kicked 34 goals and emerged as one of the few Kangaroos with the rare ability to change a game.

"I think we have missed him enormously over the first part of the year because of that X-factor, and you just don't know what he is going to do sometimes," Laidley said, before Motlop's surprise early return in round 12.

our up and coming future centre half forward is as good as gone as well.. u might have heard of him - Fergus Watts.. hes victorian and seems to want to return to victoria, we picked him with our first-rounder a couple of years ago and on the weekend he kicked 10 goals in a final in the SANFL.. maybe a straight swap could be done here

HeLMie said:
No joke their is a ********en tear in my eye, why break the news my friend why

No tears for me- love him as a plyer, but anyone who "walks out" twice in 2 years is better off somewhere else.

Am optimistic that we can get someone good for him

James23 said:
our up and coming future centre half forward is as good as gone as well.. u might have heard of him - Fergus Watts.. hes victorian and seems to want to return to victoria, we picked him with our first-rounder a couple of years ago and on the weekend he kicked 10 goals in a final in the SANFL.. maybe a straight swap could be done here

No we'd like to take young Reilly, Van berlo, Bock, Rutten, Skipworth, thompson, Basset and why not Riccuito to complet the package, oh and aswell as Watts 10 goals in a GF means he can handle the pressure.

Oh and to make it even we will chuck in Picioane, Watson and Stevens.

hAVE FUN NEXT YEAR WITH YOUR SUPERSTARS.

Well they've directly quoted his manager.

I want Watts, but we'll get Salopek - just watch.

HeLMie said:
lets just hope 'The Age' is doing a 'Herald Sun' to try and compete with them. This must just be propaganda like all of the 'Suns' stories.

Doubt it, because quotes were used from his manager. Despite being a Bulldogs supporter, that sucks. Thought he showed he would be a quality player this year, so to lose him is a big blow. As somebody mentioned above, a deal with Watts might be on the cards. Could see something like that happening.

Thewlis Dish said:
Well they've directly quoted his manager.

I want Watts, but we'll get Salopek - just watch.
A trade to port looks on the cards so a salopek could be done, i hope you dont get watts ;)

There would have to be plenty of room in the cap now for grant.

HeLMie said:
lets just hope 'The Age' is doing a 'Herald Sun' to try and compete with them. This must just be propaganda like all of the 'Suns' stories.
No propaganda this time. The real thing. I'm over it already. Junior needs his family and that's the bottom line. I can respect that but can't understand why he chose to blackmail the club for a better contract. :mad:

Well we'll only be a chance at Watts if he refuses to sign a new deal and wants to come hoem, otherwise Adelaide would be stupid to let him go, even for Junior.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope I don't come across as some racist but you have to wonder about drafting young Aboriginal kids from outside Victoria - it just never seems to work. They're big on family and that's cool, don't get me wrong but Junior was a top 10 pick and that sucks that he will be leaving.

I'm not saying this doesn't happy to Anglo players as well, hey I miss my family too (I'm in London at the mo') but it just seems to be more prevalent with Aboriginal players.

I hope we can get Fergie in the trade but I'm not hopeful.

jonty12 said:
I hope I don't come across as some racist but you have to wonder about drafting young Aboriginal kids from outside Victoria - it just never seems to work. They're big on family and that's cool, don't get me wrong but Junior was a top 10 pick and that sucks that he will be leaving.

I'm not saying this doesn't happy to Anglo players as well, hey I miss my family too (I'm in London at the mo') but it just seems to be more prevalent with Aboriginal players.

I hope we can get Fergie in the trade but I'm not hopeful.

You're spot on - they are always closer with family than most. That's not racist, that's just how it is.

We'll only get Watts if he refuses to re-sign, and a lot of clubs will want him if that happens.

I'm not totally convinced about this one, given that his brother has been in Melbourne this year. Wouldn't that classify as being "closer with your family" ?

My immediate concern is how his defection will affect Wells ?

Forget about Pickett. He left the Roos for the same reason so I don't see his motivation for coming back. Not that we need him anyway.

Attempting to be objective.. :(

It seems to me that Watts is more of a key forward than a key backman.. tell me if I am wrong..

And that isn't really what we need (ChJones, Thompson, Sav, Hale, McIntosh, Petrie {on a good day} ).. we need a key defender..

Go Roos

James23 said:

You probably dont know what he has meant to the Roos in the past 4 years and following Adelaide thats fair enough but there would need to be more involved to land Motlop than that...a hell of a lot more

I really really hope we dont lose out on this trade! I would have loved Motlop to stay but since is leaving we better get an adequate return for him!

Disappointing but not surprising. As for Wells, his friendship obviously doesn't mean that much to Motlop, so I don't see why Wells would go following him all over the country. Wells is mature enough to make his own decisions on his career, so I have no problems that'll he'll stay with us for the long haul.

I actually feel sorry for Laidley and the club, who have aobviously tried very hard to keep him happy and satisfied, but some people you just can't please. I know he wants to be closer to family, and respect that, but I don't think he's shown a lot of respect back to the club. Maybe I'm just biased.

Just got to get a great deal done now, but I suspect like others that he'll end up at Port Adelaide, so could miss out a little. How about Salopek and Gilham? Is that too much to ask? Any South Aussies seen much of Gilham, how does he go in defense? Is he a KPP?

Anyway, time will tell. At least by wanting to go interstate will guarantee he doesn't go into the PSD....so that's something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Motlop: G.O.N.E

Remove this Banner Ad

Back