Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2006
Western
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Hey all

I'm looking at getting an MP3 player and was at a bit of a loss in what to get. I've already decided I don't want an iPod... but what I mainly want is a decent quality MP3 player (maybe $200-$300) that has good recording capabilities. I want to be able to bootleg (shhh!) concerts in good quality. I'm kind of leaning towards an iRiver but I don't really know what they're like for recording.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Why are they the best? What do they do better than a Zen or a iRiver?

The wonders of money and good marketing make them the best!!!!

Personally, have an iriver 40GB, have no dramas with it, easy to use and put music onto. Was warned against the ipod when purhasing an mp3 player.

Cheers

Exactly what i was thinking.... iPod are best sellars because they are the best. It's simple logic.

No it's not

Britney Spears having a top selling album wouldn't mean she's the best musician going around now, would she?

Depends on what you need from your MP3 players, I have a Zen Vision: M and it's simply superb, especially for someone like me who watches a lot of video.

sounds like that's something against ipods?

how so? Ipods are fads. Plenty of things are fads. I have nothing against that. Wouldn't buy an ipod though, because they just aren't the best.

The only categories ipods have a significant advantage over anybody is marketing and 'ipods as fashion'. They are the supreme kings there. Kudos to them.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2005/10/6/1439
http://johnzeratsky.com/archives/000386.php
http://blogs.zdnet.com/carroll/?p=1536
http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,63423,00.html
http://www.thedartmouth.com/article.php?aid=2004043005010

My fave:
http://www.istyles.com/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm a little closer to making my decision. Hooray!
Exactly what i was thinking.... iPod are best sellars because they are the best. It's simple logic.
I disagree. They are one of the worst apparently for recording... and that's one of my highest priorities.

No they aren't they sell more because they are marketed the best, i went to JB to buy an MP3 player, and was told by the people at the shop not to get an iPod and instead get an iRiver because they are just heaps better, iPods are ********

I have an iRiver and the Sony Walkman both 1gb and bother were under $160 when I got them. The iRiver is solid offer good sound with added eq. Includes FM radio and has recording capabilities. The Sony is slimmer and has similar features but no record from memory (I don't use the record feature anyway). Both can hold around 200 songs and are good enough that you do not have to listen to the same song twice in a week (8 hours a day). The iRiver uses a AA battery while the Sony is charged when plugged into the USB port.

Both have their own software for managing music files from your computer the Sony will scan your drives and get all the music you have on your PC even music from games. So for around $150 you can get 1GB or about $200 wll get you 2GB.

hm, i must admit, ipods did have some failures, but their marketing strategy jus impresses me, which even if i know there were a few cases of ipod failures, i'll still get it. At least its better than sony products. All products will have some failures, but i personally have a nano and a shuffle, my sister has the first generation of the ipods and they are all still working fine and never had to fix it. I dropped my nano twice onto concrete floor, and it works fine and nocracks..so as you can all see, i am pretty impress by that, so why not get an ipod?

hm, i must admit, ipods did have some failures, but their marketing strategy jus impresses me, which even if i know there were a few cases of ipod failures, i'll still get it. At least its better than sony products. All products will have some failures, but i personally have a nano and a shuffle, my sister has the first generation of the ipods and they are all still working fine and never had to fix it. I dropped my nano twice onto concrete floor, and it works fine and nocracks..so as you can all see, i am pretty impress by that, so why not get an ipod?

sony products are superior to apple products

my 20gb sony holds 13,000 songs due to the superior sony program called sonicstage, which for the uneducated creates smaller files than mp3 files and the sound quality is much better than mp3 files aswell

where as the 20gb ipod only holds 5000 songs

no more to it, iPods suck!!

marketing strats arent everything, even if you can market a product, it doesnt mean the quality is better!!!!

I also have a 20 gig Sony mp3 player. One of the main reasons I chose it over the iPod was due to it's 40 hour battery life.

Sonicstage changes your mp3 files into the atrac format, but it is a smaller bitrate, so it will affect the overall clarity.

sony products are superior to apple products

my 20gb sony holds 13,000 songs due to the superior sony program called sonicstage, which for the uneducated creates smaller files than mp3 files and the sound quality is much better than mp3 files aswell

where as the 20gb ipod only holds 5000 songs

no more to it, iPods suck!!

marketing strats arent everything, even if you can market a product, it doesnt mean the quality is better!!!!

Not to get into an argument, but apples standard with iTunes and the iPod isn't mp3, it's mp4 (but it still plays mp3), which is an updated mp3, obviously. Simply put mp4 offers smaller files, and better quality at the same bit rate. I'm not going to get into a mp4 vs Atrac debate here, can't be bothered just thought i'd point that out.

I've stayed out of this debate, since the poster said he doesn't want an iPod, thats what i have, so i'll be of lttle use to the thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

MP3 players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back