Mpox: did the world learn anything from Covid ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
The World Health Organisation has got around to issuing a Health warning over the latest outbreak of mpox in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). This is a new and more fatal strain of mpox. The new strain designated clade 1b, has become the dominant strain. Overnight the first case of the new 1b strain was reported outside of Africa when an infection was detected in Sweden . Mpox has been around since 1958 and was formerly know as monkey pox but as stated this is a new variant and apparently more deadly.

Unlike the first signs of Covid there is a vaccine for mpox but alas there is not enough of it to effectively treat the DRC population. At present only two companies produce the vaccine and the WHO appears unable to interest more vaccine manufacturers in producing vaccine. The other difference between mpox and Covid is that mpox is spread through close personal contact including sexual activity where as covid was airborne.

This may be a storm in a teacup but Covid started in an obscure wet market in Wusan China and no one was too bothered while it stayed in China.

If there are further cases reported outside of Africa it will be interesting to see how the world reacts.

Last edited:
I think one of the biggest things learned was that the more deadly a virus is, the less of an existential threat it is. The biggest threat to the current world is a virus that can spread asymptomatically and only kills around 1-2% of those who get it. Those are the ones that are impossible to stop spreading and which have exponential impacts on populations, as well as the potential to decimate healthcare systems.

So now when I hear "this is more deadly", my first thought is that, shit its terrible and we should fund whatever we can to help those suffering, but realistically we should also probably be far less afraid of it as humans globally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mpox: did the world learn anything from Covid ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back