MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Rd 16

Remove this Banner Ad

Mansell's head would have been a lot higher... hmmm, yeah nah.

Here's two stills from the video on the AFL website (https://www.afl.com.au/news/1163056/blues-defender-learns-fate-at). Mansell is at his highest point before lowering his head. Both players are moving towards each other, what do you think the closing speed would be? If Mansell goes to raise then his face or head is making contact with Boyd's upper chest/torso, or worse, Boyd's shoulder. There is no way known he is raising his head above impact in the split second from the moment of these stills to the point of impact.

View attachment 2037175
View attachment 2037178

I'm also curious about you claim that Boyd planted his feet and reached out with his arms to soften the contact.
These stills indicate nothing of the sort. It was only after contact that Boyd planted his feet and reached out.
View attachment 2037186
View attachment 2037189
So he can get his head from Boyd's neck height to stomach in a split second, which involves a change of direction, but he can't get it from shoulder height to head height in the same time by continuing his original motion?

Regardless of whether he was trying to draw a free, or instinctively went down to protect himself in a way that left him more vulnerable, his actions contributed to the contact. That doesn't absolve Boyd from his actions, or poor technique, but it removes part of the blame.

Anyway, turns out that automatically grading low impact hits as medium impact doesn't work and they came to the right result.

1719964850064.png

Tribunal had 2 possible outcomes - they chose the 3rd.
What were your 2 possible outcomes, if this was the 3rd?
I would've thought the only possible outcomes were 1 week upheld, or downgraded to a fine.

Good to see this result brings out all the Carlton haters though. Gotta give you guys something to do.

Short memory, last week - danger on Walsh, I think you know what I meant

Well then, you're just being ridiculous in that case. Walsh didn't do anything except get tackled. You and BT can go sit in a corner and tell lies to each other to your heart's content.

Perfect summation. IMO, it was never about trying to get Boyd 'off' but the grading of the impact. That was always the end game. There's simply no way he was getting off the charge and a fine is completely reasonable.

This finding though, shows that the system where they automatically grade any head contact as medium force, even if it isn't, is completely flawed and easily argued against.

Any contact to any part of the body, at any force level, has the potential to cause serious injury. As we've seen in recent weeks with a couple of knees to the mid sections of players. So just grade each one on merits as they come.

I think the narrative needs to shift from 'how good are Carlton's lawyers' to 'how bad is Michael Christian, and does he have a bias towards Carlton players?' If we can easily and successfully get most of our reports downgraded, then it suggests that he's grading them too high to begin with.
I mean the guy threatened to quit over the Maynard thing, but he has no bias at all...
don’t agree Christian has negative bias towards Carlton players…I agree he’s not up to standard…his interpretation of many charges are way off mark…it’s time the afl look to someone else.

Perfect summation. IMO, it was never about trying to get Boyd 'off' but the grading of the impact. That was always the end game. There's simply no way he was getting off the charge and a fine is completely reasonable.

This finding though, shows that the system where they automatically grade any head contact as medium force, even if it isn't, is completely flawed and easily argued against.

Any contact to any part of the body, at any force level, has the potential to cause serious injury. As we've seen in recent weeks with a couple of knees to the mid sections of players. So just grade each one on merits as they come.

I think the narrative needs to shift from 'how good are Carlton's lawyers' to 'how bad is Michael Christian, and does he have a bias towards Carlton players?' If we can easily and successfully get most of our reports downgraded, then it suggests that he's grading them too high to begin with.
I mean the guy threatened to quit over the Maynard thing, but he has no bias at all...
On reading that transcript the afl legals argument were hypotheticals rather that facts as O’Farrell stated.

So he can get his head from Boyd's neck height to stomach in a split second, which involves a change of direction, but he can't get it from shoulder height to head height in the same time by continuing his original motion?

Regardless of whether he was trying to draw a free, or instinctively went down to protect himself in a way that left him more vulnerable, his actions contributed to the contact. That doesn't absolve Boyd from his actions, or poor technique, but it removes part of the blame.

Anyway, turns out that automatically grading low impact hits as medium impact doesn't work and they came to the right result.

View attachment 2037310
Because lowering his head in a split second was a movement generated mostly from the neck. To raise his head would have required raising of the torso. One is a bigger action and requires a longer movement (both distance and time), think waving from the wrist or waving from the elbow/shoulder.

Anyway, right result for Boyd, poor of the Carlton lawyer and support base to be blaming Mansell.

Because lowering his head in a split second was a movement generated mostly from the neck. To raise his head would have required raising of the torso. One is a bigger action and requires a longer movement (both distance and time), think waving from the wrist or waving from the elbow/shoulder.

Anyway, right result for Boyd, poor of the Carlton lawyer and support base to be blaming Mansell.

Why are so many Richmond fans & media personnel taking this as a personal attack on Mansell?

It’s not a character flaw. It’s not an attack. It’s not “victim blaming” for ****s sake - he wasn’t a “victim” even if he got hit high without ducking.

Mansell ducked, like hundreds of players before him. That’s NOT an attack. He contributed to the head high contact. That’s NOT an attack. If this was Selwood/Ginnivan/Lindsay Thomas, no one would have blinked at the defence. Instead we have Jack Riewoldt, Sam Landsberger & you all in tears that someone said “hey, the contact was partly Mansells fault” when it’s the complete truth and just an act that happened on a footy field, not some sort of huge personal character flaw.

Toughen up.

It's the correct call, come off it why are fans (both sides) wanting every unfortunate action a suspension. Suspend the poor ones and I'm a big supporter of the dangerous tackles being suspended. However can we not suspend these types, it's a clumsy action, if he was fined on Monday would anyone have cared? I don't love Carlton and I sure want Boyd out of the team this week so it's easier for the Giants but come off it it's not worth a suspension.

Post season I want them to look at this though, we have way too many players every week missing for lets just say it minor infractions, I'd honestly be happy with every 1 weeker right now being a fine. Anything more suspend them but as fans do we not want more players actually available?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back