MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Rd 23 - The Derby Dustup

Remove this Banner Ad

They’ll rightly let Bedford off which will be enough to satiate the masses but still achieve the AFL’s goal of keeping the system ambiguous and indecipherable enough to keep doing whatever they want.

The game is utterly rooted. It’s just a corporation run by lawyers and MBAs.

The game is cooked.
I weep for the sport we now watch. This IS NOT the sport I fell in love with growing up.
Unrecognisable to it, and for the most part not for the better.

Now we wait to see Bedford get screwed over. The AFL set the precedent 2 weeks ago with a similar tackle deeming that only Dangerfield trying to pull his opponent up prevented suspension so Toby's probably ****ed here for a tackle that shouldn't see a suspension.

I weep for the sport we now watch. This IS NOT the sport I fell in love with growing up.
Unrecognisable to it, and for the most part not for the better.

Now we wait to see Bedford get screwed over. The AFL set the precedent 2 weeks ago with a similar tackle deeming that only Dangerfield trying to pull his opponent up prevented suspension so Toby's probably ****ed here for a tackle that shouldn't see a suspension.

Bedford will get off. It’s all predetermined. They were going to punish one and free the other to appease both sides.

Anyone with a brain can see that Cameron was not creating a driving action.

It was an obvious show trial with a predetermined result because the tribunal basically had to come up with their own justification and ignored the awful arguments made by the AFL counsel.

So you’re agreeing with me then that a mitigating factor is Duggans movement in the tackle and that Cameron doesn’t have 100% control over the tackle to hold the tackle up like the AFL will argue.

Is a player 100% in control of any tackling situation?

Not really.

Cameron simply didn't need to drive with his legs nor drive his body weight in the last motion that caused the dangerous situation and resulting injury.

Are these people morons. You can see that Duggans angular momentum is what brings Cameron forward. He simply rides the momentum, you can maybe argue he should have tried harder to stand his ground but that’s a stretch. + the feet entanglement. How can they come to a verdict that Cameron forced him down.

The my team is playing your team this weekend …. Your player should
Be banned rose glasses…. Cool story bro

Hardly relevant and I didn’t see you guys whinging when our bloke was suspended last week anyway.

Fact of the matter is he had options, that was the tribunal case tonight. Did he provide the best duty of care towards Duggan, debateable when there’s 4 steps involved it was basically a rugby league tackle.

Bedford will get off. It’s all predetermined. They were going to punish one and free the other to appease both sides.

It was an obvious show trial with a predetermined result because the tribunal basically had to come up with their own justification and ignored the awful arguments made by the AFL counsel.

Wrong. In a tackle you drive forward using little steps. Cameron did that.

And he exagerated the motion and 8ntent in the last movement landing on top of Duggan slaming him to the ground.

Anyone with a brain can see you have natural bias towards your player avoiding a suspension.

Wrong. In a tackle you drive forward using little steps. Cameron did that.

And he exagerated the motion and 8ntent in the last movement landing on top of Duggan slaming him to the ground.

Anyone with a brain can see you have natural bias towards your player avoiding a suspension.

Lol, are Elliott Yeo, Tim Kelly and Nathan Buckley all naturally biased too?

Look around. You’re on an island here, with a bunch of lawyers and John Ralph.

Everyone who actually understands the game are shaking their heads in dismay. But hey, maybe your dad will tell you how clever you are again. My mum used to tell me that the other kids called me a ranga because they were jealous of my red hair.

Was always going to be upheld

Bedford is a lot more likely
I'm not even sure why Bedford had been cited. Seems a standard run down tackle to me. Free kick at most as he did get both arms.
And I'm certainly no GWS lover

Lawyers are the problem. They have rules set in stone with carefully chosen wording, and then analyse decision in slow motion and use the meanings of these 'wordings' to determine if a player should have made a different decision at a split second's notice.

Peter Wright was a poor suspension. He went to contest the ball in the air and in a split second decision chose to protect himself. If he follows through arms extended in a spoil/marking position and left himself wide open he'd likely have got away with a free kick at worst... But left himself open to injury.

Heeney last week was nonsense.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure why Bedford had been cited. Seems a standard run down tackle to me. Free kick at most as he did get both arms.

Free kick for me that’s it though head hits ground so it’s a free that’s it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardly relevant and I didn’t see you guys whinging when our bloke was suspended last week anyway.

Fact of the matter is he had options, that was the tribunal case tonight. Did he provide the best duty of care towards Duggan, debateable when there’s 4 steps involved it was basically a rugby league tackle.
You guys ? It don’t affect us last week … I didn’t comment so not sure what that argument was. About as relevant as rocket science to football. Nice job 👍

Don’t these threads essentially reinforce that

• the game of Aussie Rules Football as it was played decades ago and how we mostly want to see it played, and
  • modern understanding of head injuries, concussion and long term impacts and the legal ramifications therein

are incompatible?

Bit-piece changes and knee-jerk rule change reactions to incidents are not leading us towards a sport that makes sense in the way it is played in a natural, consistent fashion.

And if so, our only option is to redesign the game, its rules and its interpretations, from the ground up, in an attempt to save it.

Because outcome.

I didn’t see you guys whinging when our bloke was suspended last week anyway.
Actually, many of us hold the opnion that it shouldnt have been suspended. Probably that same number again didn't feel the need to post (or in your words "whinge") about it. Doesn't mean we didn't think it was bollocks.

Last edited:
Can Brisbane appeal again? Got to be one of the worst suspensions ever. How are you supposed to tackle someone? Ridiculous outcome

We can but the second appeal is a high bar to clear. You can’t present new evidence. It’s not a fresh new hearing.

You basically have to prove there was an error of law or that the decision was so egregiously wrong that no other tribunal could have possibly come to the same conclusion.

The tribunal’s decision is awful and utterly lacking in an understanding of the game, but it’s very hard to prove beyond doubt that they were acting “unreasonably”. They had reasons, just bad ones.

Duggan is twisting sideways attempting to get out of the tackle.

Cameron does drive Duggan backwards in a different direction of motion to that.

Anyone with a brain can see that.

Duggan is twisting sideways attempting to get out of the tackle.

Cameron does drive Duggan backwards in a different direction of motion to that.

Anyone with a brain can see that.

Driving with zero traction, legs flailing and being pulled off balance by Duggan losing his footing.

Okay mate. 👍

Based on the reasoning in Charlie’s hearing Bedford will go as well. Both arms pinned which means he can’t brace and hits his head.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Rd 23 - The Derby Dustup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back