MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Rd 23 - The Derby Dustup

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it possible for all the clubs to come together and vote "no confidence" for this current admin and boot them out?

It’s “possible” in a theoretical/philosophical sense, but it won’t happen in reality.

It’s just a business now.

Is a player 100% in control of any tackling situation?

Not really.

Cameron simply didn't need to drive with his legs nor drive his body weight in the last motion that caused the dangerous situation and resulting injury.

I saw you said earlier you played suburban footy or something so everyone should give your opinions more weight. I’ve played 307 games of afl footy, won a Brownlow and a purple heart. So your opinion is irrelevant.

Based on the reasoning in Charlie’s hearing Bedford will go as well. Both arms pinned which means he can’t brace and hits his head.

If they do uphold the Bedford appeal they are going to have to be so careful with their wording.

At least with Charlie there was a way to pretend that he was the one doing the driving action and then gaslighting everyone into believing it.

With Bedford, Taranto’s momentum is such a massive contributor and Bedford’s only alternative was not to tackle. Is that really the precedent the AFL want to formalise tonight?

I saw you said earlier you played suburban footy or something so everyone should give your opinions more weight. I’ve played 307 games of afl footy, won a Brownlow and a purple heart. So your opinion is irrelevant.

Yeah but does your dad rate you?

Wrong. In a tackle you drive forward using little steps. Cameron did that.

And he exagerated the motion and 8ntent in the last movement landing on top of Duggan slaming him to the ground.

Anyone with a brain can see you have natural bias towards your player avoiding a suspension.
Suggest you're in the minority here.

Maybe you have 'natural bias' as a West Coast player was injured?

It's ironical that the AFL lectures us about respect for umpires.

Before they recently shut up shop about commenting on individual decisions, they even came up a few novel explanations for one or two blatant howlers

Luke the cringeworthy snow job Laura Kane tried on for the egregiously bad non call of a 50 m penalty in the death throes of the Collingwood/North game.

Yet here they are refusing to accept the decision of their own umpires

The umpire who right on the spot, decided that the Cameron tackle wasn't "dangerous" and didn't even warrant a free kick.

And the umpire in the Richmond/GWS game who couldn't find a free against Bedford.

The AFL is essentially implying that those two umpires are incompetent

If that's the case both should be dropped next week.

Reckon that will happen? FAT chance

The hypocrisy is astounding

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Umpires still need to be better on the Cameron one. I’m a local umpire and you can spot those situations a mile away.
Clear no prior. Clear clean tackle so blow the whistle before these things happen. It’s even at a point where I’m blowing the whistle and yelling STOP at the same time. Prevent the dump before it happens.

Umpires still need to be better on the Cameron one. I’m a local umpire and you can spot those situations a mile away.
Clear no prior. Clear clean tackle so blow the whistle before these things happen. It’s even at a point where I’m blowing the whistle and yelling STOP at the same time. Prevent the dump before it happens.
This is a really good point, and obviously coming from a voice of experience.

Do you think the new 'interpretation' of holding the ball has had an influence on this?

I'll be watching a game and a player will be tackled with no prior, and 50% of the time the umpire will blow the whistle quickly and call a ball up, and the other 50% of time the umpire will wait a little longer and if the player doesn't attempt to dispose of the ball (even if he physically can't do it legally), he'll be pinged.

If they do uphold the Bedford appeal they are going to have to be so careful with their wording.

At least with Charlie there was a way to pretend that he was the one doing the driving action and then gaslighting everyone into believing it.

With Bedford, Taranto’s momentum is such a massive contributor and Bedford’s only alternative was not to tackle. Is that really the precedent the AFL want to formalise tonight?
They don't have to be careful with anything. They do what they like, when they like and are supported by the general AFL community who are turning up to games in record numbers.

I know it’s almost a meme at this point, but how the hell did Maynard get to play in the grand final?
Because a smother is a football action and the contact unavoidable, and these tackles isn’t one of those two things apparently?
(AFL interpretation)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a really good point, and obviously coming from a voice of experience.

Do you think the new 'interpretation' of holding the ball has had an influence on this?

I'll be watching a game and a player will be tackled with no prior, and 50% of the time the umpire will blow the whistle quickly and call a ball up, and the other 50% of time the umpire will wait a little longer and if the player doesn't attempt to dispose of the ball (even if he physically can't do it legally), he'll be pinged.

I feel like the new interpretation has given me the green light to do exactly what I said above. Players are more accepting of a quick ball up.
I assume you were talking about the daicos one. Personally I felt it was the correct decision albeit extremely unlucky on nicks part. Under the rules he has to try (I acknowledge it was impossible for him)
There was one shortly after with Steele that bothered me more. Umpire took forever to blow the whistle, Steele did the right thing and tried to get it out and got pinged for incorrect disposal. Should have been a quick ball up for mine.

I feel like the new interpretation has given me the green light to do exactly what I said above. Players are more accepting of a quick ball up.
I assume you were talking about the daicos one. Personally I felt it was the correct decision albeit extremely unlucky on nicks part. Under the rules he has to try (I acknowledge it was impossible for him)
There was one shortly after with Steele that bothered me more. Umpire took forever to blow the whistle, Steele did the right thing and tried to get it out and got pinged for incorrect disposal. Should have been a quick ball up for mine.
I wasn't referring to any specific example.

It's completely inconsistent when you're watching a game when some umpires sometimes immediately blow the whistle for a ball up, and other times let the tackle linger and ping the player for holding the ball.

Maybe it's different umpires applying the rules differently?

I'd like to see all umpires consistently do what you do, and blow the whistle quickly when a player is tackled without prior opportunity, and when they have prior opportunity give them the opportunity to release the ball legally (and ping them if they don't or can't).

I wouldn't be surprised if the AFL is looking at the ladder and this finals series worried that it is likely that only 3 Victorian teams could make the 8, potentially only 2 as well.

AFL trying to tell players how to tackle after springing this on them with no consultation. 3 weeks for Toby Bedford is just outrageous.

I watched Geelong on the weekend grabbing one arm and holding them still.

Our game is under ****ed. Laura Kane needs to be sacked.

And then they still want to keep the 'fairest' component on the Brownlow.

Awkward Episode 1 GIF by The Office

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Rd 23 - The Derby Dustup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back