Casey, Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manly Sea Eagles, Wrexham AFC
Shattered Muir quits
By DEAN RITCHIE
August 07, 2002

A HEARTBROKEN South Sydney captain Adam Muir yesterday quit rugby league after being dumped to first division in the aftermath of last Sunday's 50-point thrashing from Wests Tigers.

Muir, 30, made a plea to Souths officials not be chosen in first division just four games short of his retirement after 11 years of first grade football.

Club officials then asked the veteran secondrower to stand down for this Saturday's match against Parramatta at Parramatta Stadium.

"It is a bitter pill," Muir told The Daily Telegraph yesterday.

"It is disappointing and I would like to have gone out in a semi-final but you don't always go out the way you want.

"I've got four games left and didn't want to finish playing reserve grade (sic). There's nothing wrong with reserve grade but at this stage of my career, it's not the way I deserve to go out.

"It wasn't much of a choice but I stood down.

"So I have retired and played my last game of rugby league."

Muir's shock announcement comes on a day when Souths coach Craig Coleman made 11 changes – most positional – to the side belted 50-4 by the Tigers .

Australian captain Andrew Johns last night paid tribute to his former Newcastle teammate.

"I can remember 'Hurtsie' (Muir) single-handedly taking teams apart on the edge of the ruck," Johns said.

"He built up more of a combination with Matthew (Johns) than me. He played his best football at Newcastle – Adam should be proud of everything he's done."

Souths chief executive Paul Dunn was last night hoping to persuade Muir into returning for the final two or three matches of the season.

"Adam's mentally tired," he said.

"I'd like to see him play the last couple of games and go out a winner. He wasn't happy to be dropped. He may play again but there's a chance he won't. Losing 50-4 isn't the way he should go out."

Muir played 182 first grade games at Newcastle, Norths, the Northern Eagles and Souths. He also played three Tests and 13 State of Origin games for NSW.

Muir said he was "blessed" to have won a premiership with the Knights and played representative football.

"I know my form hasn't been great but the Cronulla game was one of my better ones. But Souths want to go in a different direction," Muir said.

"It was always going to be tough at Souths but I did captain them in their first year back."

Asked was it difficult dropping Muir, Coleman said: "It's always tough dropping a player – it's not something you enjoy but that's football. Some great footballers have been dropped over the years.

"But we have four games to go and I wanted to start looking at some blokes who will be here next year. We didn't play well last week and some changes had to be made."

Coleman also dropped Russell Richardson, Andrew King and Joven Clarke to first division.

The three players to gain promotion are Andrew Hinson, John Olzard and Nathan DeBartolo.

i see you have been reading news ltd again. muir has not retired, but that didnt stop them for spending an entire front page saying how he did. secondly i was listening to 2ue (assuming what the tele said was fact) and they were talking to 'tugga' coleman, and he said that muir had not even contacted the club about retiring and it was the first that he'd heard of it (upon reading the telegraph).

no surprises today to hear that muir is infact only being rested for a week, then will play out the rest of the reason.

Quite amazing that the Tele can get away with printing stuff like that, but you're right. I can't believe I actually believed something written in that rag....

Briedis and Nicholas

Seems to me there's something going on behind the scenes...
By the way, thanks for posting the telegraphs story.....we only get a snippet on the news here unless you have Fox.

I am really surprised about the fall from grace with Richardson, because he had a huge year last year with the Sharks.....could be struggling in a poorer team.

Can someone tell me his age pls. Surely he's got something left in him?

Re: Briedis and Nicholas

Originally posted by Ms.Storm
Seems to me there's something going on behind the scenes...
By the way, thanks for posting the telegraphs story.....we only get a snippet on the news here unless you have Fox.

I am really surprised about the fall from grace with Richardson, because he had a huge year last year with the Sharks.....could be struggling in a poorer team.

Can someone tell me his age pls. Surely he's got something left in him?

Only 24. Played for Australia at 21. And his last year at Cronulla (2001) was fairly crap - he was dropped to 1st division in Round 16 and never returned.

Latrobe.....

Thanks for that info....as I was too lazy to look it up.

I really must say, I was surprised that he was only 24.....was it right that I heard that the Rabbits weren't going to perserve with Richardson too.....or was that just Muir.

:p I'm giving you heaps of work, Latrobe:p

Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Muir sacked - and then retires!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back