My last Fitzroy Memory

Remove this Banner Ad

dees01

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2000
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Firstly enjoy your board Fitzroy supporters. My last memory of Fitzroy was when I attended Fitzroy's last game in Melbourne at the MCG. It was one of the most one sided games I have seen but I have never been to such an emotional day. From when they ran out on to the ground till when they did the lap of honour at the end. I had tears in my eyes by the end and I barrack for Melbourne! I would be interested to hear your memories of that day.

I was standing in the sports department of Myer Melbourne watching the final moments on TV. It was a Sunday afternoon. The game was against Freo Dockers.

The siren went, Drew Morphett yelled "Goodbye Fitzroy" and I collapsed to the floor. My feet went from under me.

My mate who was a Richmond supporter was standing beside me and he laughed as I lay on the ground motionless. I think he thought I did it on purpose, but I didn't..it just happened.

Then I got up and I saw some guy with a Fitzroy flag running a lap of the ground. I will never forget that day. I felt a piece of me was missing, that the AFL had taken away something that belonged to me...I still do to an extent.

Anyway, ghost is meant to be on a long holiday, I'm outta here.

The last game against Freo. I just sat there, in all my gear, in front of the TV, I cheered my head off for them for most of the game, then as I realised it was coming to an end, that it really was the last few minutes of our team, I spent a few quiet minutes silently praying for that game to keep going, just for a little while longer. I was amazingly proud that we outscored them in the last quarter, one last act of defiance.
smile.gif
I was in tears well before the final siren. Very emotional day.

The week before was probably more emotional, being at the MCG for the Roys last game in Melbourne. I dreaded that game, the whole morning I had spent trying to convince myself it was better not to go. But it didn't work, I just had to be there. I went alone - usually I could rely on folks to come along to the games, but not for that game. I understand why I guess, besides, I don't think anyone could have fully shared that moment with me. I had a few laughs, but it was mostly tears, and LOTS of them. (First time I ever went to the footy with a box of Kleenex, LOL) I have never watched that game again, I would like to, but haven't really wanted to yet.

------------------
*the one and only lioness*

I know I haven't finished that post yet, got as far as I could before I got all down. Never fear, I'll go back and finish it later.
smile.gif

------------------
*the one and only lioness*

Roys last game ever against freo at Subi. I was sitting behind the goals wearing a Lions scarf I had just bought.
Went to the wake after at the Brissie hotel, there were hundreds there & not a dry eye in the house. Not being a Roys supporter I didn't expect to be that upset, but I kept crying everytime some one talked to me.
I never want any supporter to have to go through what the Fitroy people went through that day.

------------------
mantis

The Richmond game was a shocker.

I went to the Freo game as well & it was a much better send-off. I think Ron Alexander might have had some influence there. Even the black bombers were decent blokes.

I saw some friends straight after the game & went up to say hello, but none of us could speak. It was an incredibly emotional time.

Then I walked over to Ian McCulloch's pub, ironically named the Brisbane Hotel. By the time I got there, the place was packed & Kevin Murray MBE was reliving his 1969 Brownlow speech. It was a really good night, like a wake should be. We celebrated the culmination of 113 years of Fitzroy.

FP,

If Kev was repeating his 69 Brownlow speech, it's a miracle that you were able to leave the joint before Y2K. What a rave - talk about free association.

My mum was particularly taken by Kev's saluatory tale concerning teenage tatooing. "See", she said, " don't EVER let that happen to you. You'll never get on." I must say that , until that time , I hadn't thought of 'getting ink done' ( hip ! ), but if it meant getting a Brownlow, it was worth considering. I think he also discussed dental surgery and traversed the whole oral hygiene catastrophe ( amongst othert things), with Mum nodding vigorously. I wonder if the full text of that speech exists - it put Johnny Platten's to shame !

I can still see The Mighty Lion seated in the school bus with what could only be described as a 'square' haircut ( kind of pre sharpie look ), singing along with Tuddy, the Little Chimp and Capt'n Blood - "... Oh what a lovely pie, me lads.. ". Hasn't endorsement come a long way - well, there was that Hardware ad. last year with dorky blue jumpers , so maybe not.

We watched the last match against Freo.
We all had a little cry. We were Bears supporters. It was very sad.
I thought what Fremantle did that day was absolutely terrific. Thats why they are now our second team. They were very sensitive.
I would hate for any supporter to go through what all Roys and Bears went through in 1996.

Kevin Murray tells the tale of being winded, while playing one of his 1st matches for East Perth & losing his chewy in the mud. Syd Jackson took the chewy from his own mouth, broke it in 2 & gave half to Murray. Murray accepted the chewy & reckons this helped him be accepted into his new club.

Kevin was obviously a sensational footballer, but I wouldn't ask him for advce on oral hygiene.

Kevin Murray tells the tale of being winded, while playing one of his 1st matches for East Perth & losing his chewy in the mud. Syd Jackson took the chewy from his own mouth, broke it in 2 & gave half to Murray. Murray accepted the chewy & reckons this helped him be accepted into his new club.

Kevin was obviously a sensational footballer, but I wouldn't ask him for advce on oral hygiene.

My recollections of the last game are very vague but, having a beer with Duckworth and McCulloch the day before at Ians pub and running through history, was up there.
Watching the final parts of the game through tear drenched eyes, next to the ledgendary Jeannie Chaundy, plus others.
Down to the Brisbane and getting every player to sign my Fitzroy jumper (Peter Satori's) inc Alan Mc Connell (sic), who was brilliant in coping with adversity at Fitzroy.
And to make it better I got Zanotts last jumper and autographed,but s**t the WA beer is crap at the footy Swan Gold never again.

fitzroy's last game - a subiaco oval tale

i was at the fateful last game v fremantle at the subi oval. ensconced behind the goal in the terraces at the city end, we managed to land a few verbal blows despite the score. i was pleased with the quality of the banter, but even more pleasing was the blank stares of the freo supporters when confronted with sledges such as the one directed at andrew wills - "willsy, you've really gone downhill since your starring role playing the banjo in 'deliverance' ". now anyone worth their salt remembers the dodgy looking 12 year old country kid sitting on the porch playing "duelling banjos", apparently not in perth.....what a waste.

anyone who has the video of the last roys game, see if you can pick up our melodic rendition of "ross oakley takes it up the arse doo dah doo dah" as some moose of an opera singer sings in a token afl gesture after the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Fat Pizza

Do you know the story of how he got the name "Bulldog"?:p

8-ace I love it are you named after that guy in Viz? (Let me in-I want to see my bairns) What a funny character.

Didn't Freo refuse a request to swap the games though? I mean to have the last round game in melbourne and the mid-year game in Peerth so that the Fitzroy people could say good-bye to their footy team?

Originally posted by localyokel

Didn't Freo refuse a request to swap the games though? I mean to have the last round game in melbourne and the mid-year game in Peerth so that the Fitzroy people could say good-bye to their footy team?

No, when Fitzroy played (& defeated) Freo in May, it hadn't been confirmed that 1996 would be Fitzroy's last year in the AFL.

Originally posted by Fat Pizza

No, how did he get the name "Bulldog"?

From "Mongrels I have Met" by Mal Brown 1995:

"Guess how he got his tag of Bulldog?
Back in his pre sophistication days
and before he became a gentleman
and an icon He had a great trick at
all-male smoke nights.

He woulds get on the stage naked
with a full frontal view and say 'man'.
He would then spin around tucking
away some relevant parts and turn
back and say 'woman'. Finally,he
would turn around and bend over
and growl- 'Bulldog'......"
:eek: :eek: :eek:

i believe you are correct - there was a request to move the last game to melbourne (it may have been halfway through the year once it had become clear that the roys were to be shafted by year end) and freo refused to move it cos it might have upset their bid to leap from 13th to 14th place on the ladder and hence they were understandably reluctant to give up home ground advantage for this crucial game from their perspective.

8 ace
wot's that smell?
it's nowt luv, j-juss a bit of spew.....
that's not spew yer lyin bastod, it's creosote! yer've been sleepin' in anotheh wummin's shed!

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
I was at the Fitzroy Club Hotel for the last match, and was close to the action in the public bar when for Auld Lang Syne was sung. Was anyone else witness to the liverpool kiss discussion of the appropriateness of that song?

Yes, the Liverpool kiss, I was in the middle of that, a mate of mine (who follows Geelong) had a dig at the guys ragging the Roys, the guy came over, I was sitting and was holding the guys away from my mate, then came the Headbutt... The guy was a fool, gving the Roys a hard time in our last game...

i thought freo thought it was a good idea to transfer as well but the AFL denied it due to scheduling issues. Freo weren't going to lose a lot of money or cred by moving it hence they thought it was ok to play it here, but Oakley and co said no.

And while I've got your attention:

Round 21 vs Richmond - took my Mum to the game. Her first Roys match since we used to go weekly in the 80s with the whole family when I was a kid. I'm a bloke, but I'll admit I cried all afternoon. I couldn't sing the song - I couldn't do it. Couldn't get it out. There was an old bloke in his 70s sitting in front of me who was in full Roys gear with a flag, waving and singing, tears streaming down his cheeks. All I could think was this poor old bugger had probably been watching the Roys since the 1930s, probably down at Brunnie St watching the likes of Bunton through Ruthven through Murray, probably then through the years at the Junction and Wilson and Roos, then through the nomadic years.... he'd seen this beautiful part of his life that he'd known since he was a kid taken away from him basically due to money (not enough of it). Seeing it all end in front of him an old man. That made it worse. I'd been thorugh thick and thin for 24 yrs at that stage and it was tough, but imagine seeing it taken away after 70 years. It was gut wrenching. There was humour there as well though. Being 25 goals down and then finally kicking a goal, with Roys supporters yelling "percentage Lions!". But mostly there was gut wrenching pain.

Round 22 vs Freo - watched it at home, cos couldn't face the pain of watching it in front of other people or making the trek across the country to see something die - the same decision that people make when some one near and dear to them is dying a horrible death due to illness - do you go and see them in hospital, or choose to remember them when they were in their prime? I sat at home and watched it on TV. The pain on the faces of the players at the end - a mixture of pain and relief. They may have been 'ordinary' compared to other team's players but gee they represented the jumper well that day. And that feeling when the final siren sounded. You wanted that last quarter to go on forever, but you also almost wanted it to be over as well. I sobbed relentlessly at the end. I remember distinctly that an ex girlfriend rang me 5 minutes after the game. She knew how important the Roys were and wanted to know I was alright! An ex! Nice girl though, no animosity, but thought it was funny that an ex watching the game and watching the Roys last hurrah felt strongly enough to ring the only Roy fan she knew. Couldn't speak to her though. Couldn't speak at all.

By the way. Is this an old post thats been moved to the top, or a newie??

Remove this Banner Ad

My last Fitzroy Memory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back