My Very Unique Aussie/U.S. experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
AFL Club
North Melbourne
First, let me start off with a quick background about myself; please comment on my story, it's pretty unique.

I was born in Venezuela and lived there the first five years of my life. Obiviously, I learned Spanish those five years.

At the time, my father was heading the product assurance department at his firm. When I was five years old, my father's job took him to Australia as his firm was opening up a new plant in Brisbane. Because of this, I resided in Brisbane for a while. I started to pick up the accent very well due to the fact that I first was taught English down under. The funny thing is that as I was learning english at such a young age at school, my parents were at the same time teaching me spanish so my accent was definitely my own and no one else seemed to have my kind of accent. Needless to say, my aussie experience was def an amazing one, even though I don't recall much of it. It all came to an end when my father's job took him to the USA when I was 10 years old.

This move was the worst part of my childhood because I left all of my aus'mates i made after five years. So when I got to the USA and started to attend school, all of the ruggers started to make fun of the way I spoke. They would think I was cursing at them when I called them blokes, mates, or sheilas. Even my teachers would say, "A is pronounced "ey" not "ai (aye)". It was not a good experience due to the fact that I spoke very funny from everyone else.

Throughout the years, I've begun to lose my aussie accent I picked up a long time ago. At first, i was very anxious to make aussie friends in the US. The thing is that most weren't kind to me. They would say things like, "Why do you speak weird?" or "Why are you pretending to have an aussie accent?" or "Why don't you fully understand our slang". My rebuttal would be to tell them my story so that they would understand, but they resisted to believe me. After some years of trying to meet aussies in the US, I have given up trying to find someone who will not accuse of me trying to be an aussie, when in reality, I can't help the way I talk. Last year, I overheard a group of aussies standing behind me in a theater but I didnt bother saying G'day knowing the kind of response I might get. The funny thing is that When I speak with other Spanish speakers, they accuse me of the same thing, because my aussie part gets in the way when I speak Spanish. Is there anywhere in the world where I won't be looked at funny when I speak? :)

Anyway, that's my story. I speak more like an aussie than I do like a Venezuelan so perhaps I should move back down under and learn to pick it up again, even though I might get several funny looks when I talk. I realise aussies are very protective of their "Aussie English".

This makes me, ME, but quiet a dilemma aye?

Thats kinda weird, usually aussies lose thier accent pretty quick. And its good to no that you were only in australia 5 years and you still joined an afl chat site.

I went to live in the States when I was 8. My brother who is six got the American accent within 6 weeks. I took longer - I wanted to keep my accent as long as I could.

Lets just say the Yanks love our accent

To the OP, I think you just have to have confidence in you. Know you have a unique story, and be proud of your accent, as it's unique, and by no means does it make the accent 'bad' in any way.

Of course people are going to be used to how the Aussie/American/Spanish accent sounds in these respective countries, and so sometimes people will make fun of your accent or refuse to believe your story. These people are idiots and you shouldn't waste any of your energy worrying about them. If you see Aussies in Texas, don't be afraid to get to know them. Tell them that you spent 5 yrs of your childhood in Australia, love the country and learnt English here. It will not only demonstrate your fondness of the country, but why you speak the way you do, and you may make some friends out of the situation.

lol what happened to this thread, it's like someone deleted all the negative replies

Quite a few of those negative posters were actually quite mean to this young fellow. It was a little rough on the OP.

Why does an accent matter? I would of thought having a different accent to everyone else would be awesome? Why would people not like you just for that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol what happened to this thread, it's like someone deleted all the negative replies

The moderators of course.

Accents are awesome and didn't mean for it to sound like I was whinging. Just wanted to share my story.

Chris Footy, An accent shouldn't matter. Some peeps are a-holes enough to not like you for that sole reason. I've definitely had a lot more peeps enjoy the accent than hate it.

Anyway, there has got to be more people out there that have their own unique dinkum accent because they've lived in places other than AUS?

This board is not Bay 13 or The Limbo Club.

Treat people with respect on this board.

Remove this Banner Ad

My Very Unique Aussie/U.S. experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Back