Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Fighting the good fight
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts - St Kilda
Has it ever occured to anyone else that are forward line problems may in fact be linked to the quality and pace of our midfield?

Due to the sheer pace the ball is often cleared out of the midfield is it a possibility that that is why we seem to have a problem finding someone who can take a grab, contested or otherwise, in the forward 50? Time and time again ive rewatched 03/04/05 games and seen our midfield pump the ball into the forward line to a player who was either half on the lead, still in traffic or they have simply bombed it too a pack....Could the sheer pace of transition from the midfield to the forward line be whats causing the problems?

Just curious if anyone else had ever looked at it that way...

UNIT said:
Has it ever occured to anyone else that are forward line problems may in fact be linked to the quality and pace of our midfield?

Due to the sheer pace the ball is often cleared out of the midfield is it a possibility that that is why we seem to have a problem finding someone who can take a grab, contested or otherwise, in the forward 50? Time and time again ive rewatched 03/04/05 games and seen our midfield pump the ball into the forward line to a player who was either half on the lead, still in traffic or they have simply bombed it too a pack....Could the sheer pace of transition from the midfield to the forward line be whats causing the problems?

Nothing wrong with quick delivery to the forward line as long as its not too crowded and the forwards know where to lead and they don't have "butter fingers" or "rubber chests" (sorry Lynchy).

I think the main problem is the KP forwards are inexperienced and Matera would always seems to be in the spot where the KP forwards should lead.

UNIT, its not the pace out of the middle thats the problem.... its the "F*** what do I do with it now? Which Fwd crab wants it"? I know thats harsh and yes it will turn around sometime.... soon?

I would also say that our Forward Line problems were / are amplified by too many, tall timber bodies, at the same time in the Forward area.

Thats why Embley & Hunter going forward gave us more flexibility.

What we also seem to lack are Mid-Height Forwards or HFF. In the mould of a Brett Heady, Chris Lewis type. Hopefully McKinley alleviates this.

Theres not much variance in style of play if you bung Seaby / Gardiner / McDud / Lynch into there.

• Banned
TheReason said:
UNIT, its not the pace out of the middle thats the problem.... its the "F*** what do I do with it now? Which Fwd crab wants it"? I know thats harsh and yes it will turn around sometime.... soon?

I would also say that our Forward Line problems were / are amplified by too many, tall timber bodies, at the same time in the Forward area.

Thats why Embley & Hunter going forward gave us more flexibility.

What we also seem to lack are Mid-Height Forwards or HFF. In the mould of a Brett Heady, Chris Lewis type. Hopefully McKinley alleviates this.

Theres not much variance in style of play if you bung Seaby / Gardiner / McDud / Lynch into there.

Judd/Embley???

UNIT said:
Judd/Embley???
Seems like a sacrifice to take them out of the midfield, but we have so many midfielders....

Whatever makes us a better team.

P.S. I hope we one day see the best of Embley on a consistent basis. He can tear open a game on a given day. Hopefully he stays injury free this year.

I actually think that teams tend to automaticly drop numbers back into defense because of the strenght of our midfield

With Worsfolds man on man philosphy this leads to a congested forward line which then makes it harder for our KPP forwards to be isolated in a one on one contest. The fact that our talls are also fairly young and inexperienced also dosen't help

I think a big problem was no one played the crumbing role enough. How many times would Matera or Sampi go for a mark when it's the job of another big guy? Sure, they'd crumb sometimes, but too often they'd try and pull down a mark that wasn't theres. Add to that the "top heavyness" Woosha seemed to go for (like resting Seaby there along with Gardiner or Lynch) and it just looks too awkward. IMO, with Smith gone, play Hunter at FF full time, Hansen at CHF, and flank them with midsize players who can mark when needed but also crumb - Embley, McKinley, Waters, Sampi (although I reckon he needs a new role), Nickoski, and rest the midfielders down there - Judd, Cousins, Kerr, and even Cox (who seems to be great at roving the crumbs of packs). Throw Chick up there occassionally (although he's better down back at times) and I reckon we're onto a winner.

I think the Eagles liked to kick it long into the forward line as much to utilise Matera and Sampi on the ground as much as the key forwards. I think those two dropping off a tad with injuries and form were more of a problem than having Lynch or Doogs up forward.

The quick movement of the ball inside 50 is a lot harder to cope with for defenders and will probably generate more goals than a slower movement of the ball.

I think Lynch was a tad underrated last year. Sure the ball slipped through his fingers and bounced off his chest enough times to be embarassing but he was a target, he was difficult to man up with and was effective in many games. He did a lot of the 1%ers and the hard body work up forward which are easy to not appreciate but is painfully obvious when it is not there.

There are worse full forwards going around.

Tas said:
I think the Eagles liked to kick it long into the forward line as much to utilise Matera and Sampi on the ground as much as the key forwards. I think those two dropping off a tad with injuries and form were more of a problem than having Lynch or Doogs up forward.

The quick movement of the ball inside 50 is a lot harder to cope with for defenders and will probably generate more goals than a slower movement of the ball.

I think Lynch was a tad underrated last year. Sure the ball slipped through his fingers and bounced off his chest enough times to be embarassing but he was a target, he was difficult to man up with and was effective in many games. He did a lot of the 1%ers and the hard body work up forward which are easy to not appreciate but is painfully obvious when it is not there.

Yes have to agree with you regarding Lynch or as I prefer to call him now Lychee. He did do alot of the 1%ers as you say and thats probably why he played so many games during last year. He is frustrating because he can take a contested 1 handed finger tipper yet drop a bog standard chest mark. But it was his first year at FF and 31 goals against the no1 full back on each team could have been worse.

I think your right regarding the crumbing aspect, Matera also seem to like leading to positions which attracted the ball which detracted from the FF.

Tas said:

Hear! Hear! :thumbsu:

Totally agreed, give the Incredible Hulk a chance. Anyone who can drop Solomon and Zantuck with one arm is alright in my book, I'm sure the chop from the GF team will be inspiration everytime he goes for a chest mark.

I agree that we need a small forward who is content to crumb rather than lead. Much as I admired Phil Matera I often thought that his leads tended to get in the way of the tall forwards' and cause the bigger guys to become more tentative. I like the idea of a tall forward leading, another tall player in the square and a crumbing forward skulking around at ground level for anything that is dropped !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our midfield need to have a look at there delivery too, its never been too flash has it, kicking accuracy isnt our strength, most people would agree with that.

I too think Lynch was underrated, the reason he kicked 30 odd goals is cos he lead wayy too far, so many times he was taking his marks outside 50, and during the time Hansen was out he effectively played FF and CHF and did it quite well I think

We need someone willing to stay close to goal, Hunter looks like someone who could do that.

Good thread started here Unit. :)

Like the lateral thinking on your behalf. Keep it up. :thumbsu:

i no ben mckinleys cuzin.. he will b living with the family that took care of chris judd, his cuzin also sed he will b wear glen jackovichs number and that he will b takin materas place up forward so he must b pretti good.. got big shoes to fill.

collingwood4eva said:
i no ben mckinleys cuzin.. he will b living with the family that took care of chris judd, his cuzin also sed he will b wear glen jackovichs number and that he will b takin materas place up forward so he must b pretti good.. got big shoes to fill.
Leave the SMS talk for Mobile Phones.

Cheers

I think lack of experience is a big factor, and having a set forward line.
Our good defence has come about from sticking with the same back 6, you get to know who does what and where to be ion every situation. Also helps having heaps of experience in banners and wirra down there. Not to mention chicky pointing and shouting about where players should be.

UNIT said:

I see what your saying UNIT. maybe you need a full forward who is good at wrestling and taking grabs rather than leading. This will allow your midfielders to quickly pump the ball to a contest rather than having to wait for leads.

Reveler said:
I see what your saying UNIT. maybe you need a full forward who is good at wrestling and taking grabs rather than leading. This will allow your midfielders to quickly pump the ball to a contest rather than having to wait for leads.
Well Hansen can take a grab and Lynch is good at wrestling. Now if we can just combine the two. "Dr Moreau, paging Dr Moreau !":)

Remove this Banner Ad

My view of our forward line problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back