Mysterious bottle from Mexico sets off alarm - Baker and McKenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

And for all those taken in by the story this morning (by the way Santa Claus isn't real either) here is somethign from Mr Dank today.

STEPHEN Dank has laughed off claims Essendon players were administered with a mysterious substance from Mexico.

Bombers coach James Hird today fired his first legal salvo to beat AFL charges, claiming the supplements investigation report was an attempt to "stitch him up".

In a scathing letter to the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, the Essendon coach's lawyers have questioned the legitimacy of a 400-page ASADA document they believe forms the basis of the AFL's charges against him and other club officials.

Today Dank said claims a number of Bombers players were injected with the substance during the middle of 2012 were ''comical''.

Essendon's former sports scientist said the claims would be added to his growing list of defamation claims he has prepared throughout the joint ASADA-AFL investigation into Essendon's supplement program.

''Would I get the players to ingest any drugs from Mexico ... please,'' Dank told the Herald Sun.

''The only two things I would think to import from Mexico would be tequila or chocolate.

''Do you think I'm taking this seriously?

''Drugs from Mexico ... this sounds like something from a Bourne Identity movie. My barristers had a good laugh this morning.''

Just get yourself an ABN and let them come to you.

iPOnh.jpg

The B is for Banned substances.

It certainly would not have been corticosteroids. Much cheaper and easier to obtain in Australia than to take a flight to Mexico to pick it up. Also, given that it's some wanky chiropractor and not a real doctor, I'm imagining some alternative medicine mumbo jumbo and the promise of a miracle cure. Corticosteroids are for symptomatic treatment, and generally only in short courses to avoid the slew of nasty side-effects (I recommend the mnemonic CUSHINGOID for anyone who wants to memorise).

I'm imagining either anabolic steroids or stem cells. There is some work going on with antisense therapy (essentially, strands of DNA that block disease DNA), but even if available in Mexico, a grown man who can get on a plane to Mexico would likely have Becker'sMD, and definitely not Duchenne's MD, making antisense therapy irrelevant. Anabolic steroids or stem cells seem like the most likely culprits. There are some other drugs being researched with particularly gruesome side-effect profiles, but I seriously doubt they would be obtainable in Mexico.

And for all those taken in by the story this morning (by the way Santa Claus isn't real either) here is somethign from Mr Dank today.

It's a shame Dank won't speak with ASADA and clear all this mess up.

I would have thought Essendon would be getting him to talk so they can be cleared and get back to playing footy.

Definitely. The club will be well aware that if things went to court, the standards are suddenly raised. Need to provide greater proof as well as be under the threat of perjury.

Remember Dank is also considering/threatening legal action against reporters. All his public statements will be considered in his case against them. I doubt he'd flat out lie, when if caught out this will lessen/throw out his case for slander once legally tested.

I can't work out whether Essendon think Dank is a hero or a villain.

Either this whole shambles is his idea and poor ole Jimmy Hird is the innocent party #standbyhird

Or Dank is the cleanskin because Essendon supporters rely on his letter, his assertions that nothing improper went on etc etc

Boy who cried wolf. He's threatened to sue everyone involved in the saga at one point or another. His claim against two identities involved in the rugby league coverage was struck out. It's something of a default refrain these days. Quote Robert Hughes of Hey Dad! when the allegations of his sexual misconduct became public: 'everything now is in the hands of defamation lawyers'. How's that going?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The man has a 0% chance of gaining mainstream employment. He is on a defamation bender to gain a source of income. He will deny anything if it means he can get a defamation case out of it. All of his actions are clearly attributable to his now untenable position. He is a desperate man trying to salvage whatever he can. By siding with Essendon, he has simply made a bet on which side will win. It's not based on morals or facts, just a bet on how he can make it out of this situation with the most money possible.

If this is true and they have evidence then my take (and I LOVE Essendon) is that al four charged should be sacked immediately and we lose draft picks and points for the next 2 years. I am embarrassed to be an Essendon supporter
You Sir are a credit to AFL fans everywhere .... Nice to see some EFC supporters starting to see what the rest of us have.

Essendon club officials have been unable to tell ASADA or their players what drugs some of them were given when they were injected with a substance bought in Mexico by a Melbourne man suffering from muscular dystrophy.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...-could-be-the-next-big-thing-in-sports-doping
Research intended to help people with muscle-wasting diseases could be about to launch a new era in performance-enhancing drugs.
The research has produced several muscle-building drugs now being tested in people with medical problems, including muscular dystrophy, cancer and kidney disease. The drugs all work by blocking a substance called that the body normally produces to keep muscles from getting too big.
It's likely that at least one of the drugs will receive FDA approval in the next few years, researchers say.
"When the myostatin inhibitors come along, they'll be abused," says , a bodybuilder and a physician in Greenwich, Conn., who works with professional athletes. "There's no question in my mind."
One reason is that athletes and bodybuilders have seen pictures of animals like Belgian Blue bulls, which naturally lack myostatin and appear to be made of muscle. "They're huge," Colker says. "I mean they're ridiculous looking."

If myostatin inhibitors do catch on as performance-enhancing drugs, they will become part of a larger trend in sports doping. A decade ago, performance-enhancing drugs often came from rogue chemists in unregulated labs. These days, athletes are using FDA-approved products from major pharmaceutical companies.

Do any of you foamers even stop to think logically about some of these claims or do you just believe whatever presents itself in size 40 font on the front of your newspapers each day.

Absoloutly hilarious that people fall for this. IIRC most of those on this thread fell for good old Roarser's little tweet last week too.

I find it amusing how everything Hispanic or Mexican seems to evoke tremendous amount of fear in White folk to assume the worst case scenario.

It harks back to U.S government changing the name of Cannabis in the 1930's to the Mexican/Hispanic sounding term "Marijuana" in a political attempt to arise extraordinary fear out of the general public through all facets of media.

I think some people need to calm down.
I always wondered what ever happened to the Iraqi minister for information , and here you are posting on Big Footy ;)

Sports Science is evolving everyday. I'm sure there is plenty of it that you know nothing about. People that think that Essendon are the devil and are the only team "pushing the boundaries" need to pull their head out of the sand.

Geelong Football Club used "blood-spinning" therapy to help heal injuries in the past and this has since been banned. Athletes in the past have even used bronchodialators (for asthmatics) to stimulate fat loss. There are many "dubious methods" that athletes use that, when looking from the outside in, would appear "dangerous to health", but the fact is, if it:

a) Isn't banned under anti-doping laws
b) Is accessible

Athletes are going to use them.
It's not the point that we don't know what it is in terms of effects, cause etc. Its that WE DON"T KNOW WHAT IT IS - or that is what the claim is anyway, that someone could be injected with an unknown substance is utterly astonishing - so grotesque that surely any competent sport scientist, Dank inlcuded, chiropractor included, would know what they are injecting, or believe to know what it is, obviously you cannot always know whats in the bottle, just trust the label, but still. Therefore in my mind there are two options.
1) They did not trust the label enough to say what they were categorically injecting
2) They know what it is, but they now know it is, illegal, dangerous, performance ebhancing or any combination of all three.

Remember Dank is also considering/threatening legal action against reporters. All his public statements will be considered in his case against them. I doubt he'd flat out lie, when if caught out this will lessen/throw out his case for slander once legally tested.

3 of his cases have been tested in court. Two have been thrown out of court (one against Professor Kenneth Ho and the other against Dr Peter Larkins), with the third against News Ltd them for writing that their was "apparent causal link" between the administering of peptides and the cancer death of Jon Mannah.

With the judge saying in regards to his other defamation claims: "I would urge the plaintiff to give careful consideration to the way in which the claims are submitted with a view to bringing to the court a report . . . [dealing with] the real issues."

http://www.murraymail.com.au/story/1689677/court-warns-dank-starting-something-of-a-juggernaut/

Yep, he has done a real good job so far:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mysterious bottle from Mexico sets off alarm - Baker and McKenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back