Preview NAB 1 Port vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Outside of the usual suspects:

Players who I thought did well: Krakouer, Amon and Clurey.
Players who I thought were disappointing: Sam Gray, Alipate Carlile and Andrew Moore

17 possessions, 3 marks, 4 tackles and a goal is disappointing? o_O

I wasn't at the game but there seems to be mix feelings over how well Clurey played.
He doesn't strike me as a lockdown defender type. Seems to lack anticipation and not sure his speed is good enough but hope I'm wrong as we need quality tall defenders in the near future to keep improving. Missed Hombsch today, essential player for our defence and loved Jonas game as usual

He doesn't strike me as a lockdown defender type. Seems to lack anticipation and not sure his speed is good enough but hope I'm wrong as we need quality tall defenders in the near future to keep improving. Missed Hombsch today, essential player for our defence and loved Jonas game as usual

Bang on! I think he will be ok, but has a lot of improving to do yet! Needs to play CHB in the Magoos this year, not on the last line, get him moving more and trying to read the play unfolding

I thought it was impressive considering Beoadbent, Wingard, Polec, Hombsch, Ryder, Trengrove and Monfries were not playing.

With all those out people were still saying we're almost full strength, lol at those who said this.

big room for improvement still.

if you's don't have money on us to be Freo rnd 1, do so now! :D

I think the disappointment with Clurey, Moore, Butch, S.Gray and other fringe players is that they don't look any better than last year. With Moore you'd like to see some M.Voss influence rub off on him but hes still a vanilla link up player in Tarzans body.

You're right. I misread it as "to" when it was actually "at". Anyway, Richmond fans could have been forgiven for getting ahead of themselves when they beat us, whereas touting a pre-season victory as proof positive of world superiority is something best done by the lovely boys.
Point taken but Richmond are shyte anyway

I would not worry too much about our first hit out at Norwood.
Geez that ground is bloody small and no wonder our players had trouble with their set ups etc etc.
Norwood 165m x 110 .. they moved the boundary in 2m along the wall which made it even smaller
Adelaide 183m x 134m much better ....with room to move and spread lol

Moore looked real good. Can't see any negativity there.

Overall the thing that left me the most impressed is that without a third of our best side (+ Hartlett for 3 qtrs), and without another few from the next tier who would've gotten a game we still dominated. Not just won, but controlled that game bar the last half of the first and first half of the second quarters.

Considering the Eagles had already had 2 competitive games against an opposition and blown out the cobwebs it makes it even more impressive as that alone should've had a massive impact.

So clearly for me what that shows is that, in terms of training, our intensity must be right up there at game level and the quality of our list must be at a level that is forcing us to train harder than other sides.

From an eagles perspective you wouldn't be too worried, it was preseason, they have some good kids and saw some good stuff but at the same time they'd probably be realising they are a fair way off that top 4 bracket.

From our perspective we'd like to hope that with one game in the bank we will start to improve our decision making and ball use, which was extremely poor and lucky to go unpunished. Overall we did well to win, but we played quite badly at times and hopefully we can only improve from here.

Only really saw the last half of the game on the stream but I thought Amon, Krakouer and Clurey all showed good signs for the future.

I also thought Butcher & Moore played well.

What was Butcher doing in the ruck on the last quarter? Had he been doing that all game or just towards the end?

Moore looked real good. Can't see any negativity there.

Overall the thing that left me the most impressed is that without a third of our best side (+ Hartlett for 3 qtrs), and without another few from the next tier who would've gotten a game we still dominated. Not just won, but controlled that game bar the last half of the first and first half of the second quarters.

Considering the Eagles had already had 2 competitive games against an opposition and blown out the cobwebs it makes it even more impressive as that alone should've had a massive impact.

So clearly for me what that shows is that, in terms of training, our intensity must be right up there at game level and the quality of our list must be at a level that is forcing us to train harder than other sides.

From an eagles perspective you wouldn't be too worried, it was preseason, they have some good kids and saw some good stuff but at the same time they'd probably be realising they are a fair way off that top 4 bracket.

From our perspective we'd like to hope that with one game in the bank we will start to improve our decision making and ball use, which was extremely poor and lucky to go unpunished. Overall we did well to win, but we played quite badly at times and hopefully we can only improve from here.
We didn't have our X factor players this game. Polec, Chad and Monfries. They just spark things up, it was a great solid workmanlike pre season performance.

Only really saw the last half of the game on the stream but I thought Amon, Krakouer and Clurey all showed good signs for the future.

I also thought Butcher & Moore played well.

What was Butcher doing in the ruck on the last quarter? Had he been doing that all game or just towards the end?
He went in there a bit in the last quarter, didn't do too much while in there. I don't think it is something we would like to try in the actual season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest issue with Sam Gray is that hes too slow mentally to play AFL, he cannot make a split second decision and often will have his kicked smothered, be tackled or just kick (a hospital kick) to a contest because he has given everyone enough time to get back. Alipate Carlile is a different kettle of fish, Kennedy started to beat him quiet easily in contests and he is still massively awkward when the ball hits the ground. I dont understand the love people have for him on here, he just seems lazy and is often lead to the ball by his direct opponent.

Do you have disposal efficiency? Tell the full story, not half of it!

76.5%. Better than Young, Amon, Ebert, Boak, Mitchell or Neade. You like that full story? :)

The biggest issue with Sam Gray is that hes too slow mentally to play AFL, he cannot make a split second decision and often will have his kicked smothered, be tackled or just kick (a hospital kick) to a contest because he has given everyone enough time to get back. Alipate Carlile is a different kettle of fish, Kennedy started to beat him quiet easily in contests and he is still massively awkward when the ball hits the ground. I dont understand the love people have for him on here, he just seems lazy and is often lead to the ball by his direct opponent.
Meh ... He had some amazing games last year, and even had the media talking about AA selection mid season. He has some days when certain opponents give him the slip. When that happens a switch with Jonas or Hombsch provides a fix. Love him against the bigger bodied forwards ... Dont knock the Pate!!!

What annoys me about Carlile are the soft efforts he gives sometimes. Occasionally he will be running back to a loose ball near the goal line he will need to kill, and another player would generally dive and punch it through. Carlile however is the type that would start a slight jog to it thinking he has time, open palm tap the ball towards the line, and the ball will either not make the line before the opposition player pinches it, or it only just creeps over.

That's my issue with Carlile. He is too relaxed and nowhere near stingy enough. He is a good player but I wish he had the mongrel of Jonas or Trengove. Thats why for me I would like to see Carlile, in time, as the player Clurey replaces.

If anyone wants evidence of this sort of Carlile stuff go back and watch our game V Gold Coast from last year. Gave up 2 goals in short time from these exact types of efforts.

What annoys me about Carlile are the soft efforts he gives sometimes. Occasionally he will be running back to a loose ball near the goal line he will need to kill, and another player would generally dive and punch it through. Carlile however is the type that would start a slight jog to it thinking he has time, open palm tap the ball towards the line, and the ball will either not make the line before the opposition player pinches it, or it only just creeps over.

That's my issue with Carlile. He is too relaxed and nowhere near stingy enough. He is a good player but I wish he had the mongrel of Jonas or Trengove. Thats why for me I would like to see Carlile, in time, as the player Clurey replaces.

If anyone wants evidence of this sort of Carlile stuff go back and watch our game V Gold Coast from last year. Gave up 2 goals in short time from these exact types of efforts.
Given the ages of the three true KPDs it will be Carlile replaced. Trengove has 6-8 years and Hombsch 8-10.

I think the disappointment with Clurey, Moore, Butch, S.Gray and other fringe players is that they don't look any better than last year. With Moore you'd like to see some M.Voss influence rub off on him but hes still a vanilla link up player in Tarzans body.

Far out, that's harsh in the first trial game of the year. Except for Butch, who still cant kick unfortunately.
Keep in mind they are playing without their key play makers off half back such as Broady and Trengove. And they were also putting into motion new tweaks to the game plan.
Given the rusty nature of any team's first game for the season, I thought they did pretty well.
Butch however...

For 2015, I like the way Kenny decided not to play any debutants, cause he knows they must hit the ground running in round 1, given the big challenge in our first 5 games.
I expect the Adelaide game will be approached like it was round 1, so a good game to benchmark where we're at.

Understand the criticism of his lack of desperation, but Carlile is the only player in our squad I'm comfortable with standing next to the gorilla forwards (Cloke, Hawkins etc.).

Clurey is the likely replacement with his size and possibility of tacking on mass, but would it then reduce his running capacity which is his greatest asset?

I guess it depends on what happens with the game reducing interchanges. Will KPFs be required to spend more time around the ground, favouring the fit types (Roughead/Riewoldt). Or will the reduced interchanges mean KPFs stay in the 50 for longer?

If it's the former, then Clurey will be a massive asset with his running capacity, and would slot in after/in place of Carlile seemlessly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview NAB 1 Port vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back