Nab Cup Final= Boring!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Paralowiepower said:
So you should, I mean I would rather see us win and play a boring style of football, than play attractive football and lose.

I guess we won by 85 or whatever points, byt playing a shut down, flooding, boring style of play, just liek the 2 thrashing ins the preseason Cup to date.
:rolleyes:

pjcrows said:
guys, this 'you flood/they flood/who floods' discussion is just childish. at different times throughout a season, a coach will employ flooding-style tactics. ALL sides do it. and dont say 'my team doesnt do it' because YES, YES THEY DO. it has become a part of the modern game and all teams practice for it and execute it.

where i differentiate between a 'modern defensive style' and a 'flooding style' is this: if you have, for example, a team coming from their defensive 50, through the middle of the ground, the opposing team usually drops 2 or 3 men back. it is what happens next that defines positive or negative play to watch.

if the defending team is swift in their posession and uses their skill to get the ball ON THE REBOUND, this is a 'modern defensive style'. all premiership sides of the last 10 years have had this, and it is only now that it has been called 'flooding'.

it becomes a 'negative flooding style' when you have 6 men at ball-ups in your defensive half, and 2 or 3 extra men in your defensive 50 but NO GAME PLAN OR SKILL to execute swift movement and turn it into an attack. this is the 'flooding' that has ruined our game. it is a damge control tactic that employs the idea that 'its better if we lose by 3 goals rather than 10'.
Good post.
I think the crows and the Bulldogs are experts in this type of football but play different styles. The Bulldogs seem to be alot quicker and run more on the rebound, which does lead for an exciting brand of football.

Paralowiepower said:
Good post.
I think the crows and the Bulldogs are experts in this type of football but play different styles. The Bulldogs seem to be alot quicker and run more on the rebound, which does lead for an exciting brand of football.

Anyone can make up statistics, in fact 2 out of 3 people know this.

Paralowiepower said:
Good post.

essendon and brisbane won 90% of their games with the exact game plan i described and it was 'genius'... now people hate it. meh.

Paralowiepower said:
Good post.

I sense you're just taking the p|ss out of us now arent you ?

Bulldogs = exciting but Crows = boring ?

Alberton_Magpie said:
Just my opinion I would of prefferd any other game out of-

Melbourne v Geelong
Adelaide v Fremantle
Melbourne v Fremantle

this is not a thread to bag Adelaide or Geelong i just believe that Geelong and Adelaide Compliment each others boring sides of the game!

I'd like Melbourne vs Fremantle or Adelaide vs Fremantle...but it can't be helped. The two side's earned the right.

Go Cats for Saturday, bring some silverware back to Victoria!;)

xyakks said:
Let's just thank the footy gods that Melbourne didn't fluke through. I don't think I could have watched another match with the Dee's kicking every ball inside 50 to Neitz who has looked a lame duck so far this season.

He'd better come right, or the Dee's are in trouble.

The season hasn't started yet, but thanks for the insight.

A team kicking the ball to their leading forward!? NO WAY!!

pjcrows said:
essendon and brisbane won 90% of their games with the exact game plan i described and it was 'genius'... now people hate it. meh.

If you think the crows play the same style of footy which won brisbane 3 flags then you are an idiot.
There are absoloutely no similarities between the two styles, they are polar opposites.

Jumbo said:
I hav'nt seen the Cats play much yet this season but the Crows are awful (but very effective) to watch. They have mastered the flood with all 18 players on the field being defenders who run forward with the ball. When the other clubs have the same fitness to also play this game style for a whole season it's not going to be pretty for AFL!

If your team was well prepared physically and mentally enough to play this style of game, you would be trumpeting their greatness and heralding the innovative coaching staff at the Power.

Your bias against the Crows is so seethrough as to be laughable and your jealousy is palpable. To smash Port and then to get past Hawthorn who were intent on over posessing the ball and then to smash Melbourne, hardly smells of a side that is boring to watch, unless you are on the receiving end of course. Obviously it can get a little boring whne your team can't touch the ball for love or money, but that's hardly our problem...:)

You do what you have to do to win I suppose. Just like Port Power get Tredrea to take as many chest marks as possible because that's part of their game plan.

Paralowiepower said:
What's with crow fans all of a sudden trying to say the team don't flood? :eek:
I even hear Neil Craig and the players try to deny it.
Alot of the media have said it is an awful style of football and not good to watch, but it is very effective and the crows have got it down to a tee.

They don't flood and yet they do.

Adelaide play their entire side mostly within two-thirds of the ground (just not the same two thirds at all times). They get numbers to the ball that way, but it involves running both forward of and behind the ball. This is very hard both to achieve and to to combat, but it requires the side to be very fit (and the Adelaide coaching staff know how to achieve exactly that). If the ball is deep in Adelaide's forward line (as it is more often than not in most of Adelaide's games) then all of Adelaide's players are likely to be found either in Adelaide's forward 50 or across the middle of the ground - virtually none in Adelaide's backline. This BTW is the exact opposite of a flood - when the ball is in Adelaide's hands.

When the opposition are moving the ball forward, then Adelaide run back. In most games, this state is considerably less than half the time. Most games most of the time see Adelaide trying to move it to advantage into their forward 50, and then having a wall of players across the middle to stop it coming back out.

BTW, I didn't say Adelaide don't flood. I said that Craig wouldn't deliberately start a player at a bounce uncontested and backwards of centre ... well most of the time he wouldn't. A couple of times a season he has, when he needed to stop a run on by the opposition ... but for the most part this wouldn't happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HAHAHA, Port fans need to take this comedy show on the road. To think, the fans from the team that plays possession football like no other has the nerve to call other teams boring. I have to admit, the jealousy complex is hillarious, i guess the ether burns slow, the Semi final was months ago and it still hurts em.

Alberton_Magpie said:

Melbourne v Geelong
Adelaide v Fremantle
Melbourne v Fremantle

this is not a thread to bag Adelaide or Geelong i just believe that Geelong and Adelaide Compliment each others boring sides of the game!

Oh dear. Sour grapes already and the season hasn't even started.

You say it isn't a thread to bag them but if you call either of these sides boring then obviously you are a troll. Geelong and Adelaide are both exicting teams and it could well be the Grand Final preview.

Now just woddle back to Alberton and begin your 5 year rebuilding phase thanks.

rayven said:
How about a name change that suits this style of thread you created?
Instead of Alberton_Magpie, the user name Iraqi information minister_magpie would be more appropriate.

You leave the Iraqi information minister alone.

Remember this-----

Poll from rove live:
The poll was who would you prefer as opposition leader:

52% - Kim Bezzzzzley
41% - The Iraqi Information minister
7% - Simon Crean

This was funny.........

Alberton_Magpie said:

Melbourne v Geelong
Adelaide v Fremantle
Melbourne v Fremantle

R U FOR REAL!!!
they are in the best 5 teams in the afl, both can kick 20 goals failry easily and both have outstading midfields

5107power said:
Its about time the cats made a grand final of some sort!

They made last seasons pre-season grand final. where have you been hiding ? under your mom's dress like always ?

port game plan Vs. the crows this years NAB cup/last years semi...

go backwards handball to man in trouble hit the outer boundry line with kicks to no one (probably due to the flood being employed BY PORT leaving no one up the ground to kick to) only to lose the clearance resulting an an avalanche of goals...

sound about right to me.

2notepockets said:
port game plan Vs. the crows this years NAB cup/last years semi...

go backwards handball to man in trouble hit the outer boundry line with kicks to no one (probably due to the flood being employed BY PORT leaving no one up the ground to kick to) only to lose the clearance resulting an an avalanche of goals...

sound about right to me.

Yes, wasn't it in last years semi-final at one stage in the 3rd quarter when we led by about 7 goals that Bassett was all by his lonesome in defence at the centre bounce. Not sure how they expected to kick any goals.

To those Power people in denial, we whipped you sorry arses by 80 odd points last September then followed it up with another flogging this year and we do that by flooding. Yeh, right.

PS : Interesting that whilst you have the greater the no of wins in showdowns, our average winning margin is a lot higher than yours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nab Cup Final= Boring!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back