cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
What team do you want to see named for our first NAB cup game. I could be wrong, but i think it's 6 on the bench, and the only ones i'm going to say are unavailable are Winderlich and Prismall.

FB: Jarrod Atkinson - Michael Hurley - Tyson Slattery
HB: Courtenay Dempsey - Tayte Pears - David Myers
C: Bachar Houli - Heath Hocking - Patrick Ryder
HF: Darcy Daniher - Scott Gumbleton - David Zaharkis
FF: Cale Hooker - Jay Neagle - Leroy Jetta
FOLL: Jason Laycock - Hayden Skipworth - Kyle Reimers
INT: Tom Bellchambers - Jay Nash - John Williams - Rhys Magin - Ricky Dyson - ??

Some might argue that it is too inexperienced, and you need maybe a Welsh or McVeigh just to show a bit of leadership, but all these guys i think deserve a spot to show what they can do.

Some might question some of these so i'll try to explain a couple of my decisions.

Heath Hocking - Natural in and under ball winner, it is certainly one thing we don't lack, and i believe he can turn out to be what we wanted Hislop to be.

Patrick Ryder - On the wing. He has the natural ability, and i like him up the ground, but i didn't like him so much forward, didn't get into the game enough. I struggle to see anyone who can match up on him on the wing, and it will allow him to use his size and athleticism to its full potential.

Laycock over Bellchambers as #1 ruck - We need to show confidence in Jason. We have given him the 2 year deal, let's stand by him for those 2 years and support him. If he does nothing, well, you can say what a waste of time that was at the end of 2010, but for now, we really need him to come on, and we should give him every oppurtunity to do so. Tom will get his chance, he is still very young and raw.

Daniher and Hooker - I have heard we are trying to groom both of them as backmen, but i disagree with that idea. We are grooming Ryder, Hurley and Pears as backmen, we only have Neagle and Gumbleton as future key forwards, who look injury prone. I'm not so sure about Daniher, but Hooker to me, looked a natural forward for Bendigo. He just had a sense about him that you can see in natural forwards, and i think he definately had this about him.

Hayden Skipworth - On ball and possibly the most experienced player in the side shall help him continue his development with the younger players and also help him feel like he can contribute well to our side.

Well, if we were choosing a "play the most young'uns we can while being competitive" type of team I'd have something like this:

FB: Jarrod Atkinson - Michael Hurley - Tayte Pears
HB: Courtenay Dempsey - Patrick Ryder - David Myers
C: Bachar Houli - Heath Hocking - Kyle Reimers
HF: Alwyn Davey - Scott Gumbleton - David Zaharkis
FOLL: Jason Laycock - Hayden Skipworth - Sam Lonergan
INT: Tom Bellchambers - Jay Nash - Tyson Slattery - Ricky Dyson

This assumes that a few players increase their fitness over PS and Neagle isn't still having ankle problems. And I put Davey in there as coming of an injury that kept him out most of last season, assuming he is ready to play we need to keep getting AFL experience in to him even if he doesn't quite fit the "youth" profile.

Edit: Oh, and I only have 4 on the interchange, if it turns out NAB can have 6 I could modify it. Although now that I look at it it may be a little top heavy, and need another small player in there.

Double edit: Of course I doubt we will play a team like this, Knights will most likely have teams that have a mixture of youth and experience and then swap to different youth and experience the next week and then cycle like that throughout the whole bank cup spreading games around most of the list (that deserve it).

As close to full strength as we can possibly get.

While an entire youth team isn't realistic I doubt this is either, Knights will probably want to play some of last years later picks and some of this years picks too, allowing him to see if they could play some games in the actual season without risking an important match on untested selections.

B: Michael Hurley, Dustin Fletcher, Henry Slattery
HB: David Myers, Paddy Ryder, Tayte Pears
C: Bachar Houli, Jobe Watson, Courtenay Dempsey
HF: Alwyn Davey, Scott Gumbleton, Matthew Lloyd
F: Angus Monfries, Scott Lucas, Leroy Jetta

FOLL: David Hille, Brent Stanton, Mark McVeigh

I/C: Kyle Reimers, Jay Neagle, Andrew Welsh, Sam Lonergan, Jarrod Atkinson, Jason Laycock

While an entire youth team isn't realistic I doubt this is either, Knights will probably want to play some of last years later picks and some of this years picks too, allowing him to see if they could play some games in the actual season without risking an important match on untested selections.

Just look at the injury list we have right now and then pick the best possible side from those not on there. Those who had surgery at the end of the season: Laycock, Lucas, McPhee, Ryder, Watson, Prismall.

Therefore:

B: H. Slattery, Pears, Welsh
HB: Lovett-Murray, Daniher, Reimers
C: Winderlich, Stanton, Dyson
HF: Monfries, Gumbleton, Davey
F: Jetta, Lloyd, Lovett
R: Hille, Hocking, McVeigh
Int (6): Lonergan, Neagle, Bellchambers, Atkinson, Myers, Houli

Just look at the injury list we have right now and then pick the best possible side from those not on there. Those who had surgery at the end of the season: Laycock, Lucas, McPhee, Ryder, Watson, Prismall.

Therefore:

B: H. Slattery, Pears, Welsh
HB: Lovett-Murray, Daniher, Reimers
C: Winderlich, Stanton, Dyson
HF: Monfries, Gumbleton, Davey
F: Jetta, Lloyd, Lovett
R: Hille, Hocking, McVeigh
Int (6): Lonergan, Neagle, Bellchambers, Atkinson, Myers, Houli

Wow, you've sure used some imagination with that side. Great to see you've looked at it with an eye for the future.

IMO the post is redundant because the coaching team will rotate players through the first 3 rounds of the NAB Cup/Practice matches.

The thread is on the NAB cup side you want to see. I don't see how this is redundant. We're not asking what the side will or should be, just what you would like to see.

Lighten up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thread is on the NAB cup side you want to see. I don't see how this is redundant. We're not asking what the side will or should be, just what you would like to see.

Lighten up.

It is a purely hypothetical because the first 3 rounds of The NAB Cup are used to rotate players, unlike the first rounf of the AFL season.

So what? Lots of threads are hypotheticals.

The difference is that we could have a hypothetical competition for Round 1 of the AFL because they are trying to win, whereas the the first 3 rounds of the NAB Cup are used for development, fitness and fine tuning of the game plan.

Exactly... Like last year Knighta will want to get a certain number of games into each player (particularly ones that will be pushing for selection) when you combine practice matches/NAB cup/NAB challenge when/if we lose.

B: Slattery - Fletcher - Pears
HB: Dempsey - Ryder - Myers
C: Jetta - Watson - Stanton
HF: Davey - Gumbleton - Monfries
F: Lloyd - Neagle - Reimers
R: Laycock - Houli - Lonergan
INT: Bellchambers - Atkinson - Hurley - Hocking - Daniher - Hooker - Magin - Nash

Obviously the entire list will be under consideration against the Dogs in Rnd 1.

We still need to know a few things about certain players - Is Daniher a forward or back? Ditto Hooker

Notes:
Assuming Winders and Pris won't be fit to play
Assuming Knights will continue the policy from last year in rotating players each week

The difference is that we could have a hypothetical competition for Round 1 of the AFL because they are trying to win, whereas the the first 3 rounds of the NAB Cup are used for development, fitness and fine tuning of the game plan.

So a hypothetical based on picking a team with the aim of trying to win a game is fine, but you can't have a hypothetical based on a picking a team with the aim of trying to develop players, a game plan and maybe even win (because they would like too)? Why?

All you are doing is changing the variables, and that's the fun and challenge in hypotheticals.

Besides, development and fine-tuning game plans and even fitness will all come under consideration in picking a round 1 side too, unless Knights has a Grand Final pencilled in, winning will not be the only consideration. Does that mean no-one here should attempt to pick a team all year?

So a hypothetical based on picking a team with the aim of trying to win a game is fine, but you can't have a hypothetical based on a picking a team with the aim of trying to develop players, a game plan and maybe even win (because they would like too)? Why?

All you are doing is changing the variables, and that's the fun and challenge in hypotheticals.

Besides, development and fine-tuning game plans and even fitness will all come under consideration in picking a round 1 side too, unless Knights has a Grand Final pencilled in, winning will not be the only consideration. Does that mean no-one here should attempt to pick a team all year?

You could try to pick a team for the NAB Cup GF.

By this stage all players should have sufficient game time.

You usually find that teams play close to the best 22 in the final practice match.

Obviously everyone will get a go, but I wouldnt mind seeing this..

B - Pears - Hurley - Nash

HB - Myers - Ryder - Dempsey

C - Dyson - Lonergan - Jetta

HF - Reimers - Gumbleton - Lovett

F - Monfries - Neagle - Magin

R - Laycock - Hocking - Houli

INT - Atkinson - Bellchambers - Zakharakis (sp?) - Daniher - Hooker - H Slattery

B- Tyson Slattery / Michael Hurley / Henry Slatery
HB- David Myers / Patrick Ryder / Tayte Pears
C- Jason Winderlich / Sam Lonergan / Ricky Dyson
HF- Angus Monfries / Scott Gumbleton / Darcy Daniher
F- Leroy Jetta / Jay Neagle / Bryce Carroll
R- Tom Bellchambers / David Zaharakis / Hayden Skipworth
INT- Christian Bock / Cale Hooker / Michael Still / Heath Hocking / Jarrod Atkinson / Kade Klemke

Henry - Ryder - Tayte

Houli - Hurley - Dempsey

Reimers - Lonergun - Dyson

Davey - LLoyd - Lovett

Neagle - Gumbleton - Jetta

Laycock - Myers - Hocking

Bellchambers - McPhee - Zaharakis - Magin - Darcy - Natrat

Lloyd in the team for leadership and to get more use to playing chf
Have Davey and Lovett both on half forward - strike fear into the opposition with pure speed from behind and not to allow the opposition to create run of half back.

What team do you want to see named for our first NAB cup game. I could be wrong, but i think it's 6 on the bench, and the only ones i'm going to say are unavailable are Winderlich and Prismall.

FB: Jarrod Atkinson - Michael Hurley - Tyson Slattery
HB: Courtenay Dempsey - Tayte Pears - David Myers
C: Bachar Houli - Heath Hocking - Patrick Ryder
HF: Darcy Daniher - Scott Gumbleton - David Zaharkis
FOLL: Jason Laycock - Hayden Skipworth - Kyle Reimers
INT: Tom Bellchambers - Jay Nash - John Williams - Rhys Magin - Ricky Dyson - ??

Some might argue that it is too inexperienced, and you need maybe a Welsh or McVeigh just to show a bit of leadership, but all these guys i think deserve a spot to show what they can do.

Some might question some of these so i'll try to explain a couple of my decisions.

Heath Hocking - Natural in and under ball winner, it is certainly one thing we don't lack, and i believe he can turn out to be what we wanted Hislop to be.

Patrick Ryder - On the wing. He has the natural ability, and i like him up the ground, but i didn't like him so much forward, didn't get into the game enough. I struggle to see anyone who can match up on him on the wing, and it will allow him to use his size and athleticism to its full potential.

Laycock over Bellchambers as #1 ruck - We need to show confidence in Jason. We have given him the 2 year deal, let's stand by him for those 2 years and support him. If he does nothing, well, you can say what a waste of time that was at the end of 2010, but for now, we really need him to come on, and we should give him every oppurtunity to do so. Tom will get his chance, he is still very young and raw.

Daniher and Hooker - I have heard we are trying to groom both of them as backmen, but i disagree with that idea. We are grooming Ryder, Hurley and Pears as backmen, we only have Neagle and Gumbleton as future key forwards, who look injury prone. I'm not so sure about Daniher, but Hooker to me, looked a natural forward for Bendigo. He just had a sense about him that you can see in natural forwards, and i think he definately had this about him.

Hayden Skipworth - On ball and possibly the most experienced player in the side shall help him continue his development with the younger players and also help him feel like he can contribute well to our side.
i can't wait what a side this year, with Skipworth! every1 fit.. GO THE BOMBERS!!!!!! :thumbsu:no-one in the media will pick us again expecially that w***er Bereton . We will match those Hawkes with speed and accuracy. Premiership contender watch out copm, the baby bombers are back!!! :thumbsu:

Henry-Hurley-Tayte
Lovett-Ryder-Myers
Stanton(vc+)-Watson(c+)-Houli
Reimers-Gumbleton-Davey
Lucas-Neagle-Gus(vc+)
Laycock-Zaharakis-Winderlich*
Bellchambers-Dempsey-Jetta-Nash-DD-Lonergan

Williams*-NLM-Bock-Hooker*

*If Winderlich isn't fit, Lonners to go on ball, Williams to the bench, and Hooker as the emergency

+I've chosen these three as Captain and Vice-Captains because they are my future candidates for Captaincy when Lloydy, Spike and Hilley aren't around

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup side you want to see

Remove this Banner Ad

Back