Nachoes Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to Silks in Moe on Friday night with the wife and kids.

Had the Chicken Neptune.

Chicken breast strips smothered in a creamy sauce filled with scallops, prawns and calamari, all on a bed of rice with a garden salad on the side. It was, fair dinkum falling off the plate, there was that much. I couldnt eat it all.

But that wasnt the best. A friend of mine was there, at another table and he had this absolutely massive Seafood Platter. Now I know what you are thinking, "Oh yeah, just another platter" but this was huge. Im gonna go there in a couple of weeks and get one.

It's $45 and you have to speak to the chef earlier in the day so he can get all the seafood in fresh. I will take a photo of it and photobucket it for you all to see.

Well I spose it kinda was. It used to be in the RSL as their resturaunt. On a Saturday night they would throw a band in there and get a few along. Too many problems so the pulled the plug on it.

The owner reopened it in the same building (partitioned) as Michaels Golden Hen. Then Chicken Mick gave him the ass and is operating it on his own. Always does a good feed, Chicken Mick.

Well I spose it kinda was. It used to be in the RSL as their resturaunt. On a Saturday night they would throw a band in there and get a few along. Too many problems so the pulled the plug on it.

The owner reopened it in the same building (partitioned) as Michaels Golden Hen. Then Chicken Mick gave him the ass and is operating it on his own. Always does a good feed, Chicken Mick.
Nah. When I went there it was a fully blown goog-city with rave floor.

Yeah the food is top notch. Probably in my top 3 or 4 thai restaurants.

I think just the fact it is revs puts a lot of people off though.

Thoughts on who is going to win masterchef?

I kind of lost interest after Fiona got eliminated, but I reckon the asian dude will win (Adam?).

What beers is everyone drinking at the moment?

I don't exactly confess to being a beer connoisseur but am really enjoying James Squire Golden Ale at the moment.

Anyone got any recommendations of similar tasting beers that I might like.

Dunno whether it is a similar tasting beer, but some boutique beer sellers (or cellars) may have a little drop called Grand Ridge Pilsner.

Made at the Grand Ridge Brewery in Mirboo Nth.

Great drop. Especially on tap at the brewery. My fav beer when up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gingerboy definitely confirmed it's place in my top 5 Melbourne restaurants last night. Gingerboy is a south-east asian inspired restaurant based on the street market/hawker foods. They bring out all the dishes for everyone to share - all up we would have shared around 7 snacks, 4 mains and 5 desserts. Was so full afterwards and came to a reasonable $70 a head.

Snacks
Will rate from favourite to least favourite for you.

1 - Coconut marinated kingfish with peanut taramind dressing and crispy noodles - Kingfish is probably my favourite kind of sashimi so I often order it. This is probably equal with the press club as the best kingfish I have ever had.

2 - Crispy salt and chilli cuttlefish - Was my first time eating cuttlefish. Very similar taste and texture to calamari, possibly even a little bit nicer.

3 - Son in law eggs with chilli jam - This is their signature dish. Eggs are soft boiled and then deep fried. They recommend you to eat the egg whole as the yolk is still runny. Tasted great with the chilli jam.

4 - Prawn and ginger dumplings with some vinegar dipping sauce - Was expecting a lot from these. Were good but did not blow me away.

5 - Grilled lamb in la lot leaves with corriander and mint relish - The relish had quite a kick to it but was delicious when served with the lamb.

6 - Some sort of duck with asian salad (not on the menu) - Duck was nice and went well with salad. Not outstanding however compared to some of the other snacks.

7 - Some sort of rice in a lettuce leaf - Similar concept to san choi bao. Again was nice but not outstanding.

Shared Dishes
Again rated in order.

1 - crispy braised pork cheek with red onion and blood orange salad and sauce (not on the menu) - This was the highlight for me. Could very well be the nicest dish I have ever ate. There were 7 pieces of pork between the 5 of us and there was nearly a punch on about who got the second bit. Thats how good it was. Just melted in the mouth.

2 - Pan fried barramundi (also not on the menu) - Top notch. Dad used to get barramundi brought down from the NT so I have tasted some top notch barramundi in my time and this is right up there with the best. Went exceptionally well with a little bit of coconut rice.

3 - Red duck leg curry - Again meant to be one of their signature dishes. Mum is a huge duck curry fan so she was especially looking forward to this dish however she said whilst it was nice it wasn't outstanding.

4 - Some sort of chicken curry (wasn't on the actual menu) - Shit house. Way too hot for my liking.

DESSERTS
We got 2 sharing plates to share between the 5 of us. Will rank them in order for you from favourite to least favourite.

1 - White Chocolate Tofu Cheesecake with passionfruit jelly and vanilla fairy floss - This was unbelievable. If you ever go to gingerboy make sure you save room for this because it is to die for.

2 - Mango crumble with chili with some sort of icecream (can't remember - maybe coconut?) - Delicious. Softness of the icecream set off the spicy crumble beautifully.

3 - Cinnamon sugared Pineapple fritter with chilli icecream. Was a little suss about what the chili icecream would be like but have to say I loved it. Fritter was well cooked and not too heavy like is often the case.

4. Some rice pudding thing - Meh

5 - Peppermint sorbet with watermelon - THis was my least favourite but my brother said it was his favourite. Personal choices I guess.

Total score
Food - 8/10 - Delicious. See Above
Service - 4/5 - Professional but still with personality.
Drink - 3/5 - Great cocktail list however wine list overpriced
Decor - 3/5 - Awesome vibe to the place. Bamboo across the roof with little spot lights made it feel like you were under the stars. However loses a point for the $600 chairs which were uncomfortable and another point for the music being slightly loud.
Value - 3/5 - Some may find $70 a head somewhat excessive for market style food however when compared to many of melbourne's other 1 hat restaurants it was quite reasonable. Definitely wasn't hungry when I left.

TOTAL = 21/30

Gingerboy definitely confirmed it's place in my top 5 Melbourne restaurants last night. Gingerboy is a south-east asian inspired restaurant based on the street market/hawker foods. They bring out all the dishes for everyone to share - all up we would have shared around 7 snacks, 4 mains and 5 desserts. Was so full afterwards and came to a reasonable $70 a head.

Snacks
Will rate from favourite to least favourite for you.

1 - Coconut marinated kingfish with peanut taramind dressing and crispy noodles - Kingfish is probably my favourite kind of sashimi so I often order it. This is probably equal with the press club as the best kingfish I have ever had.

2 - Crispy salt and chilli cuttlefish - Was my first time eating cuttlefish. Very similar taste and texture to calamari, possibly even a little bit nicer.

3 - Son in law eggs with chilli jam - This is their signature dish. Eggs are soft boiled and then deep fried. They recommend you to eat the egg whole as the yolk is still runny. Tasted great with the chilli jam.

4 - Prawn and ginger dumplings with some vinegar dipping sauce - Was expecting a lot from these. Were good but did not blow me away.

5 - Grilled lamb in la lot leaves with corriander and mint relish - The relish had quite a kick to it but was delicious when served with the lamb.

6 - Some sort of duck with asian salad (not on the menu) - Duck was nice and went well with salad. Not outstanding however compared to some of the other snacks.

7 - Some sort of rice in a lettuce leaf - Similar concept to san choi bao. Again was nice but not outstanding.

Shared Dishes
Again rated in order.

1 - crispy braised pork cheek with red onion and blood orange salad and sauce (not on the menu) - This was the highlight for me. Could very well be the nicest dish I have ever ate. There were 7 pieces of pork between the 5 of us and there was nearly a punch on about who got the second bit. Thats how good it was. Just melted in the mouth.

2 - Pan fried barramundi (also not on the menu) - Top notch. Dad used to get barramundi brought down from the NT so I have tasted some top notch barramundi in my time and this is right up there with the best. Went exceptionally well with a little bit of coconut rice.

3 - Red duck leg curry - Again meant to be one of their signature dishes. Mum is a huge duck curry fan so she was especially looking forward to this dish however she said whilst it was nice it wasn't outstanding.

4 - Some sort of chicken curry (wasn't on the actual menu) - Shit house. Way too hot for my liking.

DESSERTS
We got 2 sharing plates to share between the 5 of us. Will rank them in order for you from favourite to least favourite.

1 - White Chocolate Tofu Cheesecake with passionfruit jelly and vanilla fairy floss - This was unbelievable. If you ever go to gingerboy make sure you save room for this because it is to die for.

2 - Mango crumble with chili with some sort of icecream (can't remember - maybe coconut?) - Delicious. Softness of the icecream set off the spicy crumble beautifully.

3 - Cinnamon sugared Pineapple fritter with chilli icecream. Was a little suss about what the chili icecream would be like but have to say I loved it. Fritter was well cooked and not too heavy like is often the case.

4. Some rice pudding thing - Meh

5 - Peppermint sorbet with watermelon - THis was my least favourite but my brother said it was his favourite. Personal choices I guess.

Total score
Food - 8/10 - Delicious. See Above
Service - 4/5 - Professional but still with personality.
Drink - 3/5 - Great cocktail list however wine list overpriced
Decor - 3/5 - Awesome vibe to the place. Bamboo across the roof with little spot lights made it feel like you were under the stars. However loses a point for the $600 chairs which were uncomfortable and another point for the music being slightly loud.
Value - 3/5 - Some may find $70 a head somewhat excessive for market style food however when compared to many of melbourne's other 1 hat restaurants it was quite reasonable. Definitely wasn't hungry when I left.

TOTAL = 21/30

2 points. Firstly, you say it is in your top 5 Melb restaurants, yet you only rate it 21/30. Tough marker, haha. I would hate to see the score of your 29th fav restaurant.

Secondly, I have spent a bit of time in South East Asia, and not much of that food seems like authentic South East Asian cuisine, I am not arguing that it is a nice restaurant, but, as to it's authenticity, that I might argue. It seems to have been ritzed up a little bit to suit the local market. As for your reference to street market food, it couldn't be any further from it.

Great review though, sounds like a place I would love to have a meal at! Just makes me miss actually eating in Asia though, having to pay $70 per head (which is only nominal really), when you can get the real thing for $10 - $20 a head in their country and the food is a lot more "authentic".

Secondly, I have spent a bit of time in South East Asia, and not much of that food seems like authentic South East Asian cuisine, I am not arguing that it is a nice restaurant, but, as to it's authenticity, that I might argue. It seems to have been ritzed up a little bit to suit the local market. As for your reference to street market food, it couldn't be any further from it.

I haven't been to Asia mayhem so I can't really comment on it's authenticity, however like you say I don't think it is trying to create an exact replica of the markets of south east asia but instead try and incorporate some of their ideas about food to a slightly up market Australian market.

Probably a bit harsh with my scoring too. Could have easily gave it an extra point for food, drink, atmosphere and value which would have bumped it up to a 25.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nachoes Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back