Nathan Ablett

Remove this Banner Ad

how crap is this guy?

6 goals in 3 finals

27 goals in 18 afl games.

he surely would not get a game at any other club!!

I don't need to say anything... these stats speak for themselves. Westhoff is a first year player and kicked 34 goals from 16 games, Ablett is in his 3rd season + Geelong scored a lot more goals for the year / more opportunity... just as a comparison...

Anyone who says the team isn't carrying him in the hope he produces down the track is delusional. Hawkins will be breathing down his neck very, very soon... he'd better pull his thumb out in '08..

I don't need to say anything... these stats speak for themselves. Westhoff is a first year player and kicked 34 goals from 16 games, Ablett is in his 3rd season + Geelong scored a lot more goals for the year / more opportunity... just as a comparison...

Anyone who says the team isn't carrying him in the hope he produces down the track is delusional. Hawkins will be breathing down his neck very, very soon... he'd better pull his thumb out in '08..

You've got a great point there, marty - I mean, just look at the massive amount of goals Hawkins kicked in the VFL this year..... :D

You've got a great point there, marty - I mean, just look at the massive amount of goals Hawkins kicked in the VFL this year..... :D

OK, so all the fanboys have moved away from trying to defend N.Ablett and rather have a crack at other similar position players who may take his spot... Bravo.. :eek:

While it may be Westhoffs first season in the AFL he is only a month younger than Nathan and has been playing in the SANFL.

Marty, you really need to take a deep breath. Over the year you've been consistently wrong about pretty much every player you've had an opinion on.

Corey Enright
"The most overrated player on our list"
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333695
(he's the guy that won the coach's award last night, so I'm guessing someone who may know a thing or two has a high opinion of him)

Joel Corey
"Corey and Enright... are overrated"
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321548&page=2

"Joel Corey is overrated... no doubt about it. He doesn't have the respect of the opposition and will never be tagged."
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321548&page=3

(Joel Corey - All Australian team 2007 - obviously overrated)

Tom Harley
"Tom 'Passenger' Harley is going to by chafing my arse for the rest of the season now" (sic)
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334658&page=6

(Tom Harley - Premiership Captain 2007)

Those are just the quotes I found in ten minutes.

I'm sure our season would have gone much better without these guys in the team.:rolleyes: Now, you're not the first bloke to be wrong about a player, but I would have thought you might have learned a thing or two from experience.

Aside from Chapman, G. Ablett and Scarlett, is there anybody on our list who meets your standards? Seriously. Because most objective exercises give us the best list in the competition by a fair margin.

If you had any clue you would know I love getting reactions from people on here. Yourself as an example.
Seriously, who bothers to read through numerous posts from another member going back to the start of the season to find weaknesses in them? You honestly have nothing else better to do with your time? Normally I just get the hook and line bitten, you my friend got the sinker too.. Congrats :thumbsu:

By the way... I'll bet all those were written within the first 5 rounds when everyone was having a crack at the side... I can't believe someone actually dedicated a good portion of their time trying to dig those out... pretty sad..

Back to the topic.... Nathan. Weakest link in our side?

If you had any clue you would know I love getting reactions from people on here.

Firstly, why do you need the reaction? just seems kinda sad.

secondly, ATM, Nathan is the weakest link in our side, I have faith he'll become a better player still next year though.

If you had any clue you would know I love getting reactions from people on here. Yourself as an example.
Seriously, who bothers to read through numerous posts from another member going back to the start of the season to find weaknesses in them? You honestly have nothing else better to do with your time?
You love getting reactions from people on here, have YOU got nothing better to do with your time?
Lol, recationz ova intarwebz awsum!111 :rolleyes:

He isn't, yes we do have high hopes for him but this is justified.
He has shown potential, he just has to live up to the high expectations people have of him now.
And, as much as I hate it, I think Shannon Byrnes has the title of weakest link in our side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before the Grand Final I was thinking about how Westhoff would get exploited badly by us...and he did.

16 games for 34 goals is a great result for the kid but when push comes to shove he needs to bulk up. There is no question Nathan is much stronger in the body than Westhoff and always will be. Thats a pretty important ingredient for a forward I would have thought. Westhoff will always be quicker...and I guess if you are running away from the footy rather than towards it pace is a handy asset also...On top of that I have never seen Nathan 'take a look' in his life...You wont find that same trait with Westhoff.

Nathan's finals series was fine by me. His home and away season was patchy I agree...but his overall ability to bring other players into the game because of his smart play will get him picked more often than not again next season.

Seriously, who bothers to read through numerous posts from another member going back to the start of the season to find weaknesses in them? You honestly have nothing else better to do with your time? Normally I just get the hook and line bitten, you my friend got the sinker too.. Congrats :thumbsu:

By the way... I'll bet all those were written within the first 5 rounds when everyone was having a crack at the side... I can't believe someone actually dedicated a good portion of their time trying to dig those out... pretty sad..

Regardless of when they were written you were wrong, and not just a bit wrong, but plenty wrong. It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, but you're neither.

As for this post, I'd argue the opposite of whatever you do - given your record, I'm bound to be right.

Have you heard the latest?

Nablett to quit the AFL and become a Christian Minister. It is true that he has not participated at all in the celebrations (drink, drink) with the rest of the boys, but some of the sh1t that is rumoured around this time of the year.
One thing I will say is that if he does want to continue playing AFL, he'd better pull his finger out as the Tomahawk will be breathing down his neck.

Agreed... Why do you need to get a reaction for? Does it make you feel good about yourself being an ass?

You'll find that when I had a crack at Corey and Enright they were playing crap, which they were. It is true that opposition do not rate either enough to tag. Harley came back too early into the side when there were in form defenders ready to go, obviously because he was captain.. etc, etc. In the scheme of things N.Ablett has had the worst season in the team for a player that played the majority of games (excl Byrnes,Tenace).

Everyone avoids being critical of the players on here unless it is blatantly obvious, the reason I like seeing peoples reactions when I go against the grain. Otherwise everyone just gets on here and pats each other on the back... how boring...

For the record, as much as Joel Corey had a great season... as a stand alone player I found it hard seeing his AA selection over the likes of Hodge and Foley.

IIRC Kangaroos tagged Joel Corey in the QF.

Run with / Tag - 2 different things. Rawlings is the only genuine tagger in that side... as Ling is for us. Maybe Rawlings went to Corey for a while in this game, but in such a one sided contest it really doesn't mean a hell of a lot.

Corey got tagged(K.Cornes) in 1 game I can ever recall from memory, that was Geel V Port at Skilled when they beat us this year as Bartel wasn't there. No point tagging Ablett cause he breaks it anyway. Cornes gave Corey an absolute lesson...

You'll find that when I had a crack at Corey and Enright they were playing crap, which they were. It is true that opposition do not rate either enough to tag. Harley came back too early into the side when there were in form defenders ready to go, obviously because he was captain.. etc, etc. In the scheme of things N.Ablett has had the worst season in the team for a player that played the majority of games (excl Byrnes,Tenace).

Everyone avoids being critical of the players on here unless it is blatantly obvious, the reason I like seeing peoples reactions when I go against the grain. Otherwise everyone just gets on here and pats each other on the back... how boring...

For the record, as much as Joel Corey had a great season... as a stand alone player I found it hard seeing his AA selection over the likes of Hodge and Foley.

That's fair enough. I disagree on Harls, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Corey has been tagged a couple of times this season. He doesn't handle it well, but then nor does Hodge. Foley was good but I think what held him back is the need to have at least one previous good year, plus he might have fallen away a bit later in the year.

N Ablett is a work in progress. Given he didn't come through the TAC cup route - with all the professionalism that entails - he'll always be 40 odd games behind most of his contemporaries. I think the choice of him for the finals was good but it will be a more difficult choice next year (especially later in the year). I don't like the idea of playing 3 talls up forward, although that might be something you'd do against teams with weaker defences.

To his credit Nate does seem to be working hard: crashing packs, chasing, and so on, and he does a lot of one percenters that aren't reflected in his stats. Of interest is that this season he's actually done well in some of the games when he might not have been expected to. For instance he kicked 3 against Port in the loss, 3 against West Coast and 3 against the Bulldogs (in our round 1 loss). He also kicked 3 against the Kangas in the QF and 3 against Port in the GF. That is, his form against the final top 4 sides (plus the Dogs, then close to Flag favorites) tends to suggest he might be able to play a bit.

N Ablett is a work in progress. Given he didn't come through the TAC cup route - with all the professionalism that entails - he'll always be 40 odd games behind most of his contemporaries. I think the choice of him for the finals was good but it will be a more difficult choice next year (especially later in the year). I don't like the idea of playing 3 talls up forward, although that might be something you'd do against teams with weaker defences.

To his credit Nate does seem to be working hard: crashing packs, chasing, and so on, and he does a lot of one percenters that aren't reflected in his stats. Of interest is that this season he's actually done well in some of the games when he might not have been expected to. For instance he kicked 3 against Port in the loss, 3 against West Coast and 3 against the Bulldogs (in our round 1 loss). He also kicked 3 against the Kangas in the QF and 3 against Port in the GF. That is, his form against the final top 4 sides (plus the Dogs, then close to Flag favorites) tends to suggest he might be able to play a bit.

Look... I'm the first one that would love to see the boy succeed, I just think he needs a flogging over summer and to be less reliant on his confidence. He seems to be very much a confidence player, as shown in the GF after he kicked his first goal... to me he just hasn't shown the determination that will get him kicking 50+ goals.
What I want to see is a Reiwoldt type game for him... Lots of leads, lots of MARKS. Obviously he's way off as far as fitness is concerned. Mooney can then just sit in the square with Hawkins.

Look... I'm the first one that would love to see the boy succeed, I just think he needs a flogging over summer and to be less reliant on his confidence. He seems to be very much a confidence player, as shown in the GF after he kicked his first goal... to me he just hasn't shown the determination that will get him kicking 50+ goals.
What I want to see is a Reiwoldt type game for him... Lots of leads, lots of MARKS. Obviously he's way off as far as fitness is concerned. Mooney can then just sit in the square with Hawkins.

All young players are the same with confidence, barring a very few elite players. I suspect the scrutiny he's gotten from day 1 because of his surname doesn't help. Gary Jr for instance has really only turned the confidence thing around this year - previously if someone sat on him, he'd generally fold.

Not sure I see him as a CHF, I think he's better as a FF but to have two (or more) players that could do both would be a terrific asset to us and very, very difficult for any other team to match up on.

I was fairly impressed with his fitness (endurance) in the finals, but he still seems a bit slow. Still, like I said, at least two years before I expect him to reach his peak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Ablett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back