Traded Nathan Djerrkura (2007-2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tigers originally had him pencilled in for their 2nd round, apparently Miller was dissappointed when you guys pipped him at the post for his services.

I actually predicted just before our pick 25, that we would take Shane Edwards, so I think you guys have done well with that selection anyway.

That said, very happy we ended up with Djerrkura, and he could end up being one of the steals of the draft.

Howdy,

Heard a nice piece on ABC's AM program this morning about one of your draftees and thought it may be of interest. Obviously a nice feeling story, but I for one will watch him and wish him well...

Footy player from Arnhem Land picked for Geelong Cats

AM - Thursday, 30 November , 2006 08:28:00
Reporter: Alison Caldwell
TONY EASTLEY: A lot of young Aboriginal AFL footy players in the Top End dream of making it to the big time, but few make it.

But over the years those that have made it to the big league have become important role models for their communities.

Among the faces in the most recent draft of 80 young AFL players was 18-year-old Nathan Djerrkura from Arnhem Land.

He's the son of one of the most prominent Aboriginal activists, a former ATSIC (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Committee) Chairman who died two years ago.

The father always wanted the son to play football. He knew the value of Aborigines seeing and experiencing success in the wider community.

And next year it might just come true for Nathan Djerrkura, after he was picked up by the Geelong Cats.

AM's Alison Caldwell reports from Melbourne.

ALISON CALDWELL: This time last week, Nathan Djerrkura was spear-fishing in the warm, clear waters of the Arafura Sea, near his home in Arnhem Land.

NATHAN DJERRKURA: You could, you know, stand in one spot all day, just waiting for the right moment, waiting for the right fish to come to come past, but when they do come, you've got to make the most of it.

ALISON CALDWELL: By Saturday he was back in Melbourne with his uncle and sister, sitting by a radio tuned to the broadcast of next year's all-important AFL draft picks.

NATHAN DJERRKURA: It was up to 24 and we had no idea that I was going to come up next, and... because we were actually waiting for around the 30s or something, and next minute, Nathan Djerrkura, my name came up, and I was speechless.

I didn't really know what to do. My uncle and sister came up and gave me a big hug and stuff. It was a great day, yeah.

ALISON CALDWELL: Has it sunk in yet?

NATHAN DJERRKURA: Nah, it hasn't sunk in at all. My life has changed just in a blink of an eye.

ALISON CALDWELL: Nathan Djerrkura was chosen by the Geelong Cats, something his famous father would've been proud about. AM can't identify him for cultural reasons. Two years ago the former ATSIC Chairman died suddenly after a heart attack.

(To Nathan Djerrkura) I once spoke to your father about you. You were a very little boy, but he spoke about how you might have a career one day in football. I just thought that was his imaginings, his dreamings, his hopes, but he was right, wasn't he?

NATHAN DJERRKURA: Yeah, he sure was. Oh, that's always been his dream for me, to play AFL footy, and I guess that inspired me so much that I really wanted to fulfil his dream.

I've done it for him, yeah. Not only for him, but for his people as well, our people. That's one of the reasons, my main reason for me to play AFL footy, is so that I can become a good role model for not only my people, but all the Indigenous kids around Australia.

If they see that I can make it to the top level, hopefully they can see that they can make it as well.

ALISON CALDWELL: And as if football weren't enough, Nathan Djerrkura is also a talented painter. He's hoping to win a scholarship to study fine arts at Melbourne University. It's his back-up plan in case he's injured playing football.

His family's totem is the Giant Trevally, a fish that features in most of his paintings.

NATHAN DJERRKURA: It's like the prince of the sea. It sort of guides us through life and looks after us. I only ever paint who I am and where I come from. That's the saltwater people.

ALISON CALDWELL: For now, Nathan Djerrkura's excited about his future in football, known for his lightning speed and instinctive skills. He's a small forward who starts in the centre.

Being chosen by Geelong is just magic, according to his uncle, Banambi Wunungmurra; he played two seasons with the club in the mid-70s, alongside the great 'Polly' Farmer.

When Nathan's feeling nervous and homesick, his uncle tells him to focus on his new career.

BANAMBI WUNUNGMURRA: And I said look, there's your career now, my boy, you know, don't think about us, think about the football. Don't be scared, you know, you are there, you'll be a tough man as a role model for the East Arnhem people, where we come from. You know, that's where your goal is. Don't think about us, we'll think about you.

TONY EASTLEY: They certainly will. Nathan Djerrkura's uncle, Banambi Wunungmurra, speaking to Alison Caldwell.

ALISON CALDWELL: Nathan Djerrkura was chosen by the Geelong Cats, something his famous father would've been proud about. AM can't identify him for cultural reasons. Two years ago the former ATSIC Chairman died suddenly after a heart attack.
That's good of the ABC to follow protocol. Had anyone else noted that the article a little while back in the Age where Nathan was at scotch that they followed protocol carefully. But then when Nathan was selected The Age splashed the old fella's name around?

That's good of the ABC to follow protocol. Had anyone else noted that the article a little while back in the Age where Nathan was at scotch that they followed protocol carefully. But then when Nathan was selected The Age splashed the old fella's name around?

Yeah I've seen his name quoted in a few places.

Just popped over to see what you people are saying about Djerrkura. I heard the same piece as uptheguts on ABC radio this morning about him. Comes across as a very interesting young guy who is steeped in his culture and wants to do well for himself and his people. Think you've got a good pickup there.

Just popped over to see what you people are saying about Djerrkura. I heard the same piece as uptheguts on ABC radio this morning about him. Comes across as a very interesting young guy who is steeped in his culture and wants to do well for himself and his people. Think you've got a good pickup there.

Yeah I hope he succeeds with his footy as he seems to be very assured of himself and his culture while retaining some humility and grounding. Those traits are going to be great in a few years time when he is able to be a rolemodel to other youngplayers at geelong. I think him, selwood and hawkins are all future leaders of the club (maybe not in captaincy but in the way they approach their footy)

Went to training today to check up on the boys, making sure that they are working hard. They did heaps of set plays (sort of thing) and Nathan D starred in many of them. I am so excited now after seeing this guy train. He was SOOO fast and had a good kick running into goal. Can't WAIT till we see him play in the big league! His gonna be a star. :) YAY!

Can someone explain 'Protocol'. Is it sort of like the photography thing?

There is no golden rule. The protocal varies from community to community but generally there is a period (perhaps indefinte) during which you should not refer to the deceased by name or show images of the deceased (whislt they were still alive)

There is no golden rule. The protocal varies from community to community but generally there is a period (perhaps indefinte) during which you should not refer to the deceased by name or show images of the deceased (whislt they were still alive)

Thanks Jim Boy. 6 years of tertiary education and I never knew that's how it went.

I hope he sticks around. Seems to have his head screwed on too well to play with some of our boys. I mean I like Ling, Kelly, Johno and such, but sometimes they just seem like arrogant, head in the clouds turds. I hope none of these new lads turn out like that and they can hang out together and become mature football stars.

I mean the likes of Buckley, Hird, Voss, Grant and Harvey didn't become superstars by going out and using their celebrity and being up themselves and not caring enough about their football. They worked their guts out to be superstars, and I hope Nathan keeps that attitude of his. The guys I mentioned earlier should take a leaf out of his book, and see how lucky they are to be where they are.

Nathan_Djerrkura_small.jpg

Nathan Djerrkura

Fast Facts

Jumper No: 18
Height: 186 cm
Weight: 80 kg
DOB: 19 September 1988
Recruited From: Scotch College

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: No. 18 Nathan Djerrkura

Geelong Advertiser - 21 March 2007
A magical voyage to the top - Nathan Djerkurra
Michael Auciello
21Mar07
51nath3.jpg

Nathan Djerkurra and his mum, Jenny at home in Yirrkala.

Star Geelong recruit Nathan Djerrkura has come a long way, both geographically and personally, before arriving at Skilled Stadium. Reporter MICHAEL AUCIELLO discovered on a trip to the Top End, the 18-year-old's life experiences will stand him in good stead for the rigors of the AFL.
IT'S late November, and Nathan Djerrkura is sitting in the inner sanctum of the Geelong Football Club with his new teammates.
He has recently been recruited by the Cats with pick 25 in the draft and the wonder of an AFL career is all before him.
His fellow recruits sit with him, excited, nervous and anxious about the start of their new lives as league footballers.
One by one they introduce themselves to their teammates _ who they are, where they're from.
When it comes time to divulge their nicknames, there is a certain lack of originality.
Joel Selwood says people call him Joel. Jason Davenport's mates call him Jase. It's hardly ground-breaking stuff.
Then comes Djerrkura's turn.
``My nickname's Djidi,'' he tells them. ``It means black magic.''
Skilled Stadium is a long way from Yirrkala _ the small Aboriginal community on the east coast of Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory's Top End that Djerrkura calls home.
But talent doesn't discriminate on the basis of geography. When you've got it, you've got it, no matter where you're from.
Djerrkura's mum Jenny, along with the rest of the community, knew her son had it from a very young age.
``I'll never forget the time when they were playing senior football out here and Nathan was only probably 11 or 12 and the team wanted him to play senior football,'' she said.
``I just put my foot down and said, `I'm not having my little boy out there with all the big boys' and Nathan was just very, very angry with me over that, but I could just see that he just wasn't built. Nothing was prepared for him to be playing senior football.''
But, boys being boys, they found a way.
``I think they did sneak him on for a quarter,'' she said.
She need not worry about him being pushed around anymore.
Djerrkura came to Geelong a ready-made footballer. Built, fast and skilful.
``His father was a footballer, his brother was a footballer to some extent and he (Nathan) always loved watching football,'' Jenny said.
``He excels at any sport, like a lot of the Yolngu people do. But Aussie rules has always been his passion.''
To understand Nathan Djerrkura, you have to understand his past, his land and his people.
Yirrkala has belonged to Djerrkura's people, the Yolngu, for more than 40,000 years.
Before British settlement of Australia, they happily traded with the Dutch for many years, despite the obvious communication problems.
They have a long, proud and traditional history.
When the aluminium ore bauxite was discovered in the area 50 years ago, they fought long and hard to stop the development of a mine.
Ultimately they failed, and the Alcan mine that has been in operation since 1971 is currently undergoing a $2 billion expansion.
But their fight paved the way for future land rights claims around the country.
It is a fight that lives on a generation or two later in Djerrkura.
The 18-year-old is not a great fan of the mine, or the changes it makes to the landscape of the striking terrain of his homeland.
Sure, the trees that are knocked down are replaced when the mine moves to another area, but every time a tree is taken, so too is a piece of the Yirrkala people's history.
It is a history, a community and a people Djerrkura is extremely proud of. He lives for his people, and it is the good and bad in life in Yirrkala that drives him in his quest to be a top-rate senior footballer.
But Nathan Djerrkura won't be defined by things he can't control.
They will shape him, and his AFL career, but they won't make or break him.
His father died a little more than two years ago. It is a defining moment in any teenager's life, let alone when he was a community elder and influential spokesman for his people.
``Dad always took me out bush with him, out to the rural Aboriginal communities. He was teaching me all the stuff I needed to know,'' Djerrkura said.
``He taught me all about culture and he spoke to me in our language, and he just taught me all about what I need to know to survive out bush, and all the fishing, spear fishing.''
Dreaming stories were part of that traditional upbringing as well. But he says it's impossible to name one that means the most to him.
``There's so many. Usually we'd just sit around the campfire and he'd tell stories and play traditional songs,'' he said.
A heart attack struck the former ATSIC chairman at the age of just 54 _ unfortunately a common occurrence among Aboriginal men _ and sent a family, community and race into mourning.
``It was a shock and it really did impact on the kids in a big way, he was a great father figure, he loved his kids and he was just a great man,'' Jenny Djerrkura said.
``He was a great leader, he was very passionate about the development of his own people, especially in community development, so he had a lot of respect and we were all very proud of him.
``We were all very protective of Nathan after his dad died. We all felt it, but life had to go on, and we talked about that and we just realised we had to do the best that we could, especially Nathan, who was still at school, and he was comfortable with getting on with life.''
Djerrkura followed his older siblings Damien and Fiona in going to Kormilda College in Darwin for two years, before jumping at the chance to take a footy scholarship at Scotch College in Melbourne.
The first year away at Scotch was tough for Djerrkura, but once he embraced the new lifestyle, the school community embraced him and his culture.
Jenny Djerrkura was concerned about the level of media attention Nathan attracted when he was first drafted, having come from a prominent indigenous family.
She worried there might be too much expectation and pressure put on a boy of just 18 from the Top End.
But everything Djerrkura has done since arriving at Skilled Stadium has shown nothing but maturity and an understanding that while he has come this far, all the work is still ahead of him.
``He is a very focused person, but he's also got a real passion for his community and I think he's been able to balance that between what he wants to achieve himself, but also what he wants to be in regards to his own peers,'' Jenny Djerrkura said.
``Seeing the drugs and the alcohol abuse in the community is something that he would really love to change.
``He is a good role model, he always has been a good role model in the community and, OK, we've helped him along, but he's always certainly had that maturity about him that he's not going to get stuck into the substance abuse issues that's just so prevalent out here.''
Around him, Djerrkura saw childhood friends slip down the path of drugs and alcohol that is all too common in an Aboriginal community.
He has made no secret of his desire to use his status as an AFL footballer to rid his town of a problem that ruins so many lives in the outback.
Stuart Kellaway is a music teacher at the Yirrkala Community School, and is a member of Australia's most recognised indigenous band, Yothu Yindi.
Djerrkura's recent visit to his hometown with teammates Jimmy Bartel and Joel Corey will do wonders for kids that might be headed down a dangerous path, he says.
``Things like this visit are perfect. It's like gold. It shows the kids that this is where you can get, and the kids are seeing that they're not just on TV, the players are real,'' he said.
``That's something you can't buy mate _ those role models _ it's just gold. This will be talked about for the next few months.''
Djerrkura's rise through footy ranks to the AFL level won't just help youngsters face drug and alcohol problems. It teaches them fundamental principles to help get them through life, such as hard work and dedication.
``It's a complicated society, some out here still live the full traditional life. When you talk about an indigenous person getting into the professional side (of sport), you have to make a commitment, and it's not easy, they get homesick,'' Kellaway said.
``You could be about to play the most important game of your life and you get called back for a ceremony.''
The choice between tradition and a future outside the community is something Djerrkura's uncle Banambi Wunungmurra knows all about.
He did a pre-season with Geelong before the 1976 season, training alongside arguably the greatest Aboriginal player ever, Polly Farmer.
Wunungmurra's father died while he was playing footy in Brisbane and with the club unable to send him there and back for the funeral, he missed it and kept following his dream.
When he got to Geelong that dream was closer than ever, but he was struck a cruel blow when his mother died, and he was then faced with a gut-wrenching decision _ stay and try and fulfil his dreams and become an icon for his people back home, or return to attend the funeral ceremony.
``When I went to Melbourne to play at Geelong I thought `here we are, I'm going to be a star', but my mum passed away and I had to go back home because I missed my dad's funeral, I couldn't miss my mum's funeral as well,'' he said.
The pressure to be with family took away his last chance at making it in the big time.
Jenny Djerrkura says her son won't have that pressure, and, if necessary, Nathan will be brought home for a funeral at the last minute. His career will come first.
For Wunungmurra, Djerrkura's drafting will give him a chance to live out the senior career he never got to enjoy.
``I was hoping to become a role model for my people from this area, but it was tough, it was challenging for me. But looking now at my young boy Nathan, he has taken over. I'm proud of him,'' he said.
Wunungmurra was with Djerrkura in Melbourne when the youngster's name was called out during the national draft.
It was a moment no one associated with the family will ever forget.
``Oh, my tears just came out,'' he said. ``I couldn't even believe it. I cried with pride, tears of pride came out.''
Djerrkura's mum sat in the stands at TIO Stadium in Darwin a couple of weeks ago when the number 18 ran onto the ground for the first time as a Cat.
Not for the first time in the young man's journey, though, tears were involved.
It was one of those moments in life that are too good to describe. It's surreal when you live out the moment you have been imagining for years.
``I was very nervous, and when he came off the bench for his first run out it was too much, I cried, I just cried,'' she said.
``I just thought `here we are, we've achieved this first step of his dream' and it was just heart-wrenching really.''
She knows Djerrkura has a lot on his shoulders, bearing his family name and the natural expectations that come to a draftee at any AFL club around the country.
But he doesn't just have one family behind him. The whole of Yirrkala will be Djerrkura's personal coach, giving him a pep talk when he's down and a standing ovation when he's up, even all those thousands of kilometres away.
``Everyone is just extremely proud. I guess the community more than the main town, he's just, how can I describe it, it's because of his father, and the standing he had in the community, that's progressed down the line to Damien, Fiona and Nathan _ Damien and Nathan in particular because they are the males,'' she said.
``So Nathan's just like a son to all of them and he's actually got that hero factor now.
``Not to the extent their father had, but they do take it seriously, both Damien and Nathan, and they are both very aware of the issues in the community and they want to make a difference.''
Wunungmurra says Djerrkura will never be short of inspiration if times get tough during his career.
``(His father's) not around, he would have been more proud than ever, but I think Nathan has given something for his dad,'' he said.
``Nathan is a really bright person and the way that he reacted (to his father's death), he steadies his mind and his body, and that's how he is, he's a bright young fella and I think he's really determined in his ambition.
``Nathan has the determination to do it. And he will. He will do it. We've got confidence he can make it.''

VFL - 9th June Report

Was very in and out of the game today. However this was to be expected after coming back from injury. Looked pretty speedy and sharp and showed nothing of his Quad injury. Will be better for the run.

VFL - 9th June Report

Was very in and out of the game today. However this was to be expected after coming back from injury. Looked pretty speedy and sharp and showed nothing of his Quad injury. Will be better for the run.
Liked the look of him, drifted down the ground a few times and also kicked a couple of goals.

Nathan Djerrkura (Wanderers)

176/77 mid-age right foot HBF/ onball / utility.

*STYLE LIKE: Pickett/Wirrpanda

*MY RANKING (not meant to reflect appropriate draft pick to use): 9

*PROBABILITY OF AFL CAREER: Definite. Ready year 1.

- Within an AFL team list, could prove capable of SUSTAINING a ranking of 5-10.

*HURT FACTORS (Offensive/Defensive/Negative): M-H / H / L-M

*TRADEMARK:

- Come from nowhere to run opponent down with excellent closing speed and fierce tackle.
- Take-them-on dash then kick into forward 50 (assuming not nailed in the process).

*MAIN SELLING POINTS:

- Pace
- Physicality
- Ball carrier
- X-factor
- Intensity
- Balance
- Contested ball ability
- Agility
- Endurance
- Consistency
- Used to living away from home

*MAIN QUERY:

- Gives away an avg 3 frees per game through being over zealous or over ambitious.

*SUMMARY ASSESSMENT, RECOMMENDATION:

- Only 176cm but electrifying, fierce, dynamic. Quick, relentless runner. The silent assassin. Exhilarating, dashing, daring, powerful, aggressive, purposeful, deadly. Byron Picket with some Wirrpanda. Breaks the play open. Exciting combination of speed, motor, attack, physicality and natural footballer ability.

Despite his height, I think this kid is likely to be something special.

- Here's 3 examples from his '06 games that, apart from kicking to a contest, sum up much of his style, ethic and capability:-
1. "Came from nowhere with excellent closing speed and launched himself at Urquhart (who had the ball) and brought him down with a fierce tackle".
2. "Kicked 35m to a contest then sprinted so hard he managed to collect the spill off that pack then charged away, brushing off 3 tackles".
3. "Took the ball at half-back, took them on, had a 3-bounce dash, sold the dummy beautifully, then a very good longish running goal under a little pressure".

- Has been schooling in Vic recently (Scotch) and was at boarding school for a couple of years before that so there is not the query re settling in that a couple of his "competitors" might have hanging over them. That's a very important factor in his favour, especially compared to some other (including highly-rated) kids in this draft.

- He is as quick as any draft candidate. He is as good and at least as reliable in the air as most of the other good smalls/mediums who are good overhead. He takes them on and regularly carries the ball. He is usually a good kick and his disposals often hurt. Djerrkura has the dash, daring and hurt factor you want from an outside player, the hardness and in-close ability you want from an inside player, plays tall, is versatile, is footballer and athlete in equal doses, is a great kid who will be very coachable, and he doesn't have a go home query. Add endurance, physicality and ethic to that and IMHO no other kid in this draft can lay better claim to that package of traits.

I'm less hung up on height than many people are. Recent AFL premiership teams, Brownlow Medal high voters and AA teams prove that that there is always a place for a smaller player if he is special enough in certain areas or as a package. I rate Djerrkura as qualifying for both those descriptions.

- I rate him quite a lot earlier than he will go but am very confident he will be a very good AFL player. Except for (arguably) height, he is made for today's game. And he should be virtually plug 'n play.

*DISPOSAL:

- Kicking accuracy is not fool-proof and he does the occasional floater but I would describe him as a "good" kick with often high hurt factor. Good depth and power.

- Doesn't spend a lot of time near goals but I'd back him to kick accurately a good percentage of the time when charging through the 50m arc from a comfortable angle.

- Usually reliable by hand, regardless of pressure. (Did have one slight off day in a TAC trial). Quick hands, good power.

- Fairly healthy mix of kicks to feeds. A little on the high side in some games for someone his height but that is more due to his maximising the opportunities to carry the ball and break up the play, rather than not choosing to feed when he should.

- Official stats for his disposal effectiveness are a bit misleading as, due to his competitiveness, he regularly gets contested ball (not just hardball gets per se) and is more often under the inherent pressure from that than many other kids of his size are due to the amount of contesting he does.

*DECISION-MAKING, SMARTS:

- Genuine footballer, despite his athletic qualities. Routinely looks for options, regardless of pressure. Displays good vision, including on the run. Usually make the right decisions. (Main exception is sometimes being a bit over-confident in backing himself to take them on). Reads play and ball very well.

- Very good in-close ... and he is a First Dibs type, which scores higher points from me than being a Predator.

- Regularly loves to back his pace and take them on. Sometimes bites off more than he can chew but when he gets away with it (which is the majority of the time), he can be scintillating.

- Very sharp evasion. Sells the dummy really well. Very good traffic management.

- Currently gives away an avg 3 frees per game. Virtually all are through either ambitiously taking opponents on and getting nailed, or through over-zealous tackles. He's a smart kid and I'm confident he will learn to be more judicious. Regardless, even though 3 FAs a game is not what a coach would normally like to see, I think it is more than balanced by the pressure he puts opponents under (a la Davey, but with brutality) and the number of times he is actually successful in breaking the play open with his daring. i.e. If you want the benefits of his attack on the man and opening up of the play, you should expect to have to wear occasional slip-ups. Benefit greatly outweighs cost in Djerrkura's case.

- Bit of a knack of stealing the ball.

*HANDS:

- Usually very clean at all levels, sometimes especially so (including on the run).

*OVERHEAD MARKING:

- Strong overhead for his size. Attacks his marks fearlessly and with purpose and physicality. Usually clean hands. Judges well. Holds his ground. Can mark from any position including in pack contests. It's not so much that he is special overhead. He isn't (although he can take a screamer). However, he is so competitive that when he doesn't mark, he usually manages to stop the opponent taking the mark, even an opponent some centimetres taller.

*ATHLETICISM:

- Excellent combination of speed and motor and makes the most of both.

- Extremely quick, both off the mark and over ground. Seems to have an extra gear. Excellent closing speed. Excellent running technique.

- Cat-like recovery agility.

- Excellent balance in every aspect. Keeps his feet, rides bumps, shrugs tackles. Balanced runner and mover also.

- Very good endurance.

- Will have excellent build for AFL. Very strong, in the Pickett mould.

*INTENSITY, ETHIC:

- Terrific intensity and ethic. Plays like a natural on-field lead-from-the-front leader.

- Runs hard and aggressively and in both directions. Chases hard. Runs hard and often to create an option. Runs on. No better example than the one mentioned above (#2) (You can go to umpteen games at any level and not see that happen).

- Attacks the man with ferocity (often launching himself after coming from nowhere). Effective tackler. Takes no prisoners. Like Byron Pickett, will give away some frees (avg 3.0 FA per game in '06 U18 Champs) for throwing an opponent to the ground after the opponent has disposed but I can accept that as a by-product cost of his intimidating ferocity and physicality. (Unlike Pickett, no problem with head-high charging though).

- Courageous and plays with desperation and purpose.

- Attacks the ball. Gets plenty of hard ball and isn't often beaten in a 1-1 contest of any sort.

- Quiet personality but quality kid off-field. Likely to get the most out of himself.

*CONSISTENCY:

- Very consistent. He plays in such a full-on manner that he'll give you something virtually "every" quarter of "every" game.

*AFL VERSATILITY:

- Only 176cm but plays fairly tall and could play anywhere down the flanks. Probably best suited to HBF or wing in his early AFL days. Could play BP too but I believe his talents are best utilised where he can afford to take more risks. In the backline, will be able to supply both Pickett-like pressure as well as plenty of run out of defence and hardball get ability.

- Down the track (and possibly not too far down) I think he could be a good AFL onballer. Has the capacity to potentially be a run-with or even an inside mid. No doubts about his tank or speed or hardness and he is quite clean under pressure (both getting and disposing).

*CSI (COMPARATIVE SCOPE for IMPROVEMENT):

- No special factors.

*SOME STATS:

- Stats summary '06 TAC:
Averaged 25 disposals in 1 TAC game (ranking No.14 in comp). 1.0 contested markes. 5.0 tackles. Total goals 1-1 .
15 kicks per 20 disposals.
Ineffective kicks: 3.2 per 10 kicks.
Ineff handballs: 6.7 per 10 handballs.
Ineffective disposals: 8.0 per 20 disp.
HandBall Receives: 6.4 per 20 disp. Uncontested marks: 2.4 per 20 disp. HR+UM: 8.8 per 20 disp.
Contested Marks: 0.8 per 20 disp.

- Stats summary '06 U18 Champs:
Averaged 22 disposals and 5.7 marks in his 3 games. (Best TD 24). (Tot TOG 93%).
Averaged 13 kicks per 20 disposals.
Kicks long vs short: 12-21 (4 long per 10 kicks).
Ineffective kicks: 10/44 (2.3 per 10 kicks), incl 3 clangers (0.7 per 10 kicks).
Ineff handballs: 5/22 (2.3 per 10 handballs), incl 1 clangers (0.5/10 hb).
Ineffective disposals: 15/66 (4.5 per 20 disp), incl 4 clangers (1.2 per 20 disp).
HandBall Receives: 19/66 (5.8 per 20 disp). Uncontested marks: 14/66 (4.2 per 20 disp). HR+UM: 33/66 (10.0 per 20 disp).
Contested marks: 3 (0.9 per 20 disp).
Hardball gets: 8/66 (2.4 per 20 disp).
SP Clears: 7/66 (2.1 per 20 disp), incl 3 CBC (0.9/20 disp) and 1 other BU (0.3/20 disp).
Tackles: 11 (Avg 3.7 per game).
Frees against: Avg 3.0 per game.

*OTHER STUFF:

- All Aust TY.
- 2 Morrish Medal votes '06 (polled in 1 games).
- 3 Coaches Award votes '06 (polled in 1 games).
- Mainly school footy '06 (+U18 Champs & trials).
- NT MVP '06 U18 Champs.

Very good summary by wiz. Love the way djidi plays. His attack on the man is probably better then varcoe. Would love to see him turn into a dashing HBFer.

Geez lot of info in there, good find mate thanks for that
Interesting to see Wiz rates him above Selwood

In the mould of Wirrapanda? Has anyone else got that impression?
Yep. I also see a lot of johncock. Dashing defender who can go up forward and bag a few!

I saw this gun with Varcoe, Bedford, D Johnson, Reynolds, Hawkins and some other player before the game in their suits on the ground and he can juggle the footy very well with his feet, him and Varcoe were doing soccer juggles to each other like Martin Clarke did, looks very skilled :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back