Nathan Djerrkura article

Remove this Banner Ad

Just while we're on the topic of Djerkurra, would you say he's ahead of Varcoe at this stage, despite having a year less in the system? I didn't get to see the Port or Dees game and have only read multiple 'appraisals' of both players on BigFooty.

Just while we're on the topic of Djerkurra, would you say he's ahead of Varcoe at this stage, despite having a year less in the system? I didn't get to see the Port or Dees game and have only read multiple 'appraisals' of both players on BigFooty.

From what i've seen of Varcoe he is yet to impress. Djerkurra looks to be well ahead in skills and attitude. But thats just me :)

Oh Hi BTW, new here. :D

Yeah. He's physically bigger, apart from anything else.

Djerrkura is ahead at the moment, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, I don't think either are ready for the seniors yet. Selwood yes, but not those two.

Don't know but there's only about 5 months age difference.

From what I saw in the Brisbane game, yes.

From what i've seen of Varcoe he is yet to impress. Djerkurra looks to be well ahead in skills and attitude. But thats just me :)

Oh Hi BTW, new here. :D

Yeah. He's physically bigger, apart from anything else.

OK, thanks.

Hopefully they will be terrorising opposition defences together in 2008 and beyond.

let's not forget Varcoe has been overcoming a bad foot injury and this year has seen his first full pre-season training in about 2 years...while Djerkurra hasn't been incumbered with injury yet as far as I know.

Both will be good players for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

let's not forget Varcoe has been overcoming a bad foot injury and this year has seen his first full pre-season training in about 2 years...while Djerkurra hasn't been incumbered with injury yet as far as I know.

Both will be good players for us

I agree. I think Varcoe showed glimpses of what he could do in the VFL finals, as well as in the Brisbane game. Another interesting thing in the article I linked to in the OP was that the local senior team wanted Djerrkura to play with them when he was 12 or 13, but his mother refused to let him play, so Nathan was obviously very talented even at that age.

Much better than those excruciating Shakira jokes the commentators have been doing.

Yep definately cringe worthy. I put that up there with most things Rob Walls says. He needs to leave the nick names etc to Rex. And just do the special comments he is payed to do.

With reference to the thread topic, probably is ahead of Varcoe. BUT everytime Varcoe goes near the ball, he looks like he will do something special. Like against Brisbane where he just swooped the ball from behind the pack with one hand and had a shot for goal. Missed but just the attempt was breath taking.

Varcoe I think will be the kind of player who will never get 30 possies and kick 5 goals running around in the seconds. He will just fit with the tempo of the game. So I think if fit, put him in the seniors cause without SJ, he could do that 1 something special that could turn a game, or kick 3 goals in 5 minutes.

Varcoe did some things during the Brisbane game that made me sit up and take notice, he looks incredibly skilled with some freakish ability, wether he can be consistent....well the jury is out.

Djidi does not look quite as skilled but looks more mature and given his background will be a fantastic asset. Indigeonous leaders on the field and off are worth their weight in gold...ultimately I believe he will be the biggest asset.

But if varcoe can play for 10 minutes a game to the limit of his abilities then that would be worth the price of admission alone...I can't wait to see more.

Yep definately cringe worthy. I put that up there with most things Rob Walls says. He needs to leave the nick names etc to Rex. And just do the special comments he is payed to do.

With reference to the thread topic, probably is ahead of Varcoe. BUT everytime Varcoe goes near the ball, he looks like he will do something special. Like against Brisbane where he just swooped the ball from behind the pack with one hand and had a shot for goal. Missed but just the attempt was breath taking.

Varcoe I think will be the kind of player who will never get 30 possies and kick 5 goals running around in the seconds. He will just fit with the tempo of the game. So I think if fit, put him in the seniors cause without SJ, he could do that 1 something special that could turn a game, or kick 3 goals in 5 minutes.

That made me sit up and take notice. I'd love to see that more often. Djerkurra looks capable of doing that sort of thing too but he seems a different kind of player - more of an in-and-under, pack-breaking type than the usual greased lightning, where-did-he-come-from small aboriginal crumber.

totally agree. Varcoe is so fast and gets free so easily but in the vfl last year they couldnt get the ball to him fast enough when he was by himself. If they play him in the ones a bit this year I think we will see him get more of the ball because the better players will get the ball to him quickly when he is free.
It was also so good to see Djerrkura and Varcoe put the loins back line under huge pressure when they were trying to run the ball out of defense, they caused so many turn overs much the same way Aaron Davey does. If they both play together this year they will cause headaches for every defense in the comp. And to think they are only 18 years old, Im rapt we have some black magic in our side

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Djerrkura article

Remove this Banner Ad

Back