Player Watch Nathan Kreuger

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d watch McStays effort against Oscar McInerney before calling him a better ruckman than anyone. But even he is being a bees dick better than Kreuger for 5 minutes a quarter in the ruck doesn’t warrant the loss of quality in the forwardline.

I dunno, I might suggest you watch McStay's efforts in the last quarter of the '22 Final against Max Gawn??

I don't wanna see McStay or Kreuger 2nd rucking. This season thats Cox's job.

People really overrating the need for a genuine second ruck in here. All we need from a second ruck is a contest. Then we do what we did against Melbourne and Gawn. Assume we’ll lose the hitout and set up accordingly. Yes, it’s nice to have a second ruck who can act as a first ruck, but it doesn’t outweigh what Freddy brings to the table as a forward/ruck imo, both from an offensive and forward defensive perspective.

People really overrating the need for a genuine second ruck in here. All we need from a second ruck is a contest.
giphy.gif

Cats did just fine with Hawkins playing ruck inside 50m for a long, long time there.

People really overrating the need for a genuine second ruck in here. All we need from a second ruck is a contest. Then we do what we did against Melbourne and Gawn. Assume we’ll lose the hitout and set up accordingly. Yes, it’s nice to have a second ruck who can act as a first ruck, but it doesn’t outweigh what Freddy brings to the table as a forward/ruck imo, both from an offensive and forward defensive perspective.
Richmond won a flag with 190cm Shaun Grigg doing stuff all as a second ruck

I dunno, I might suggest you watch McStay's efforts in the last quarter of the '22 Final against Max Gawn??

A game where he attended a total of zero ruck contests and won zero hit outs?

I’d rather neither ruck and Cox get the second ruck role as well, but in the situation in which Kreuger, McStay and Mihocek are in the same team I’d prefer the second ruck to be Kreuger.

A game where he attended a total of zero ruck contests and won zero hit outs?

I’d rather neither ruck and Cox get the second ruck role as well, but in the situation in which Kreuger, McStay and Mihocek are in the same team I’d prefer the second ruck to be Kreuger.
With McStay coming off a reco, I reckon we would be very hesitant to give him ruck time. I hope that freddy continues to improve and would like to go with freddy and Cameron. The problem is can we go with Mihocek, freddy and McStay in the same side

There’s a passage of play late in Q3 versus the Kangas not long after Freddie kicked his goal where he dropped an easy mark from a McCreery kick out of D50, Naicos gathered and handballed it forward into Freddie’s path and he ran and tapped it forward a couple of times under pressure then soccered it into F50 and then sprinted away from his opponent to lay a great tackle on McDonald.

So it started with an error but I loved the 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts, as well as remarkable acceleration and agility for such a big bloke.

I reckon there’s huge upside to Freddie if he can finally get an extended run at it. I hope we keep playing him until he either becomes a Best 23 lock or breaks down again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Be lucky to get one effort from AJ, let alone a 2nd or a 3rd.

A concern though is what happens if Cameron is not going well like in last year’s GF? Without Cox’s ruck work we wouldn’t be premiers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott was the ultimate fool soldier. Such a great player

He and Lee Walker used to live 3 doors down from me

My little brother and I used to go over there a fair bit back in the day

They had a poster of Daicos above the doorway to their kitchen with “Little Tangles” written on it lol

Is Kroog a competent ruckman, no. But I don't think McStay is great either. At their best, they are just barely good enough for a true 2nd ruckman.
However, we also don't need 20+ hitouts from wither of them either.
DC has been solid and could carry 70% of the ruck duties and filling defensive holes behind play.
If we got 15% ruck duties out of both of Kroog and D-Mac, it'll be better for our forward structure.
Then we won't have to bring in AJ as a small key position forward who can't ruck at all.

Our ruck and KPF setup will again be an interesting watch. There's a lot to consider, not the least the toll on Cameron with only part time backups. Grundy thrived under the extra load, Cameron not so sure.

The ruck quality of the second rucks isn't much of a concern to me. If they're significantly better forwards and around the ground contesters, then it's a clear win. Cox only has 3 goals this year and even his rucking is below what it was last season.

Cox has unique attributes and will surely be given a chance to produce, unless Kreuger's fotm is too good to ignore.

. The problem is can we go with Mihocek, freddy and McStay in the same side
We can go with those 3 if Cox isn't fit ... Freddy essentially playing the 2nd ruck forward role replacing Cox. Last years prelim we had Cameron ,Cox, McStay and Checkers .

That said it'll be a bloody miracle if we at any stage have Cameron, Cox, Freddy , Checkers and McStay all fit at once . I doubt we'll ever be lucky enough to have that selection dilemma . Here's hoping at least 4 out of 5 are fit .

Is Kroog a competent ruckman, no. But I don't think McStay is great either. At their best, they are just barely good enough for a true 2nd ruckman.
However, we also don't need 20+ hitouts from wither of them either.
DC has been solid and could carry 70% of the ruck duties and filling defensive holes behind play.
If we got 15% ruck duties out of both of Kroog and D-Mac, it'll be better for our forward structure.
Then we won't have to bring in AJ as a small key position forward who can't ruck at all.

If McStay plays this year it will be a faster-than-usual return from an ACL. That in itself is risky, so I doubt they’d compound that risk by asking him to do any ruck work.

Normally i'd agree....except our gamestyle isn't that of other teams.

We are clearly a better team with Cox/Cameron playing well ("well" being the key point!).

Cox/cameron don't do 5 mins in the ruck....they share the load and overpower others.
Don't think its a co-incidence that Cox best quarters are 4th qtrs.
That's what we do when we don't have two competent ruckman.

As for Melb and Gawn.....because you know, they won't go to school on that.....or they don't kick themselves out of that game.
That game said far more about Melb than it did about us.

If we go with Freddy....i'm ok with it as i agree with you on what he brings.
Just don't think its our best structure.

Good thing is Freddy has 5 weeks to force himself into the best team and he's started well.

A concern though is what happens if Cameron is not going well like in last year’s GF? Without Cox’s ruck work we wouldn’t be premiers.
I’m not sure you can definitively say that. Cox’s ruck work was certainly handy to have, but I’m not sure it was match winning. As already stated, if we’re expecting to lose a ruck contest we can always set up accordingly. The KB game was a perfect example of this. Gawn absolutely destroyed Cameron, and the club expected it, yet because we set up for that eventuality we ended up winning clearances convincingly.

It wasn't just the final quarter - he had a ripping game in the ruck after their ruck got injured and was a solid chop out ruck for the Lions all of that year.

I doubt they'll bring him back into the ruck straight after getting back from an ACL however, so not really relevant. As you've pointed out, it will most likely be Coxy, as long as he plays some decent footy when he returns.

Last edited:
Gawn absolutely destroyed Cameron, and the club expected it, yet because we set up for that eventuality we ended up winning clearances convincingly.
Cameron’s job was essentially to give enough of a contest that Gawn had an incentive to keep hitting to his preferred/easier side rather than letting him get cute. Beating him or even matching him was unnecessary. Mischief managed.

Fly is pretty much on record saying he’s not married to the two ruck concept. He experiments with different setups and goes with what’s working and who is in form.

If Kreuger is playing well, giving us a target and providing pressure and a serviceable-at-best second ruck option, they won’t push him out simply because we “have to have” two genuine ruckmen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nathan Kreuger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back