Nathan Murphy retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who says that the game has "gone soft" can honestly go and do one. I'd phrase it differently, but for swear filters...

It does make me wonder how many players in years gone by should have retired, but kept playing on and on and just made their brain injuries worse.

This stuff is just such a time bomb for AFL (and the Rugby codes) at all levels - there's no easy solution, and it turns parents away in droves. If I had a kid, I would seriously think twice about letting them play.

Will be a huge loss for the Pies, he was very good last year.
He allowed Moore to play a bit more free, as the Pies knew that Murphy would do the job in the backline.
I reckon some of the reason that Moore has struggled this year is because he has to be more accountable because Murphy isn't there.

But this is 100% the right call, and i wish him well going forward.

He allowed Moore to play a bit more free, as the Pies knew that Murphy would do the job in the backline.
I reckon some of the reason that Moore has struggled this year is because he has to be more accountable because Murphy isn't there.

I agree, re Moore, I have said the same.

all the best Murph, having a cry right now, even though it was inevitable, Just an awesome guy, always ready with a Hi and a smile. You will be so so missed, hopefully a goodbye lap this weekend. cheers xx

It’s good that Collingwood recently extended his deal and added a year for 2025. Will get paid out by the AFL in full, which he deserves. Hopefully he is able to live a healthy life.

That's a shame. He reminded me a lot of David Astbury. Not overly athletic, no frills, but super competitive, reliable and consistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy seemed to be the only defender on the same wavelength as Moore.

Anyone who says that the game has "gone soft" can honestly go and do one. I'd phrase it differently, but for swear filters...

It does make me wonder how many players in years gone by should have retired, but kept playing on and on and just made their brain injuries worse.

This stuff is just such a time bomb for AFL (and the Rugby codes) at all levels - there's no easy solution, and it turns parents away in droves. If I had a kid, I would seriously think twice about letting them play.
Players know the risks though and get paid a pretty penny to walk on the field. Bigger issue in lower leagues where the reward doesn’t outweigh the risk but the elite guys know what they’re getting themselves into and get fairly compensated for it

Players know the risks though and get paid a pretty penny to walk on the field. Bigger issue in lower leagues where the reward doesn’t outweigh the risk but the elite guys know what they’re getting themselves into and get fairly compensated for it
Experts don’t really know the risks, much less teenagers.

Brave or reckless ? So many of his concussions were easily avoidable. His choices may well have halved his career.
At the same time a lot of his concussions were a bit innocuous and didn't really look that bad at the time. Whether that was due to earlier concussions or he was a bit more fragile than most when it came to head high hits.

Leaving a premiership player probably makes the decision to retire slightly easier than a few others who have had to make the decision. He played a big part in it and I thought we were in a bit of trouble when he was subbed out.

Hopefully he doesn't have to deal with too many issues from it over the rest of his life.

I really do worry about what folks like Joel Selwood will be like in years to come, with the amount of damage he took to his head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Murphy retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back