National Draft Selection #80 - Michael Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Essendon, Michael.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87128/default.aspx
Height: 184cm
Weight: 74kg
DOB: 16/09/91
Recruited from: Gippsland (VIC)

Bio: Creative midfielder/half-back who provided Gippsland with some much needed run and carry from defensive 50 in the latter half of the season. Has exceptional speed over 20 metres which gives him time and space to display his excellent foot skills off both sides.

In his own words
What type of player are you?
More of an outside player that can play inside. I like to run and create with the balls. I use the ball well with pretty good skills.

Which AFL player do you most resemble and why?
Ben Cousins. He gets the ball and runs and creates. He is also smart and uses the ball well.

What are your strengths as a footballer?

Pace, foot and hand skills, ability to read the play.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
My strengths- so I can be better in close at a pack.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Sydney Swans. My grandfather played for South Melbourne and North Melbourne. And my brother plays for them too.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far and why?

My grandfather. He has a great knowledge of the game and is always helping me out. My parents have also been good. They’re always doing everything they can to better my football.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87128/default.aspx

Interesting pick.

Can anyone tell me more about this kid? Who he plays like? Best attributes?

Re: National Draft Selection #80 -

Is this the same Ross formerly drafted by Richmond?

No. Michael is the brother of Ben Ross from North. The grandson of Max Papley, if anyone cares to google him...

Around these parts (Bunyip), Michael has generally been considered to be a better player than Ben. Taller, quicker and seems to have more time than most - always the sign of a good player.

Surprised that he didn't go in last year's draft, TBH.

No. Michael is the brother of Ben Ross from North. The grandson of Max Papley, if anyone cares to google him...

Around these parts (Bunyip), Michael has generally been considered to be a better player than Ben. Taller, quicker and seems to have more time than most - always the sign of a good player.

Welcome, and cheers for that. :D:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen this kid when I Watched a few power games this year and he is a gun! Uses the ball so well and looks to have so much time. He was an over age player this year so he is already 19. But could look like bargain in a few years time!

You involved with Bunyip footy club?

You involved with Bunyip footy club?

No, my son played for Longwarry (next town along the rail line) in Ben Ross' year. We'd usually be there to see most of the the early games.
Watching the younger kids go round was interesting. Michael was the go-to man in his age group. Actually, when games were tight, he would be expected to win it off his own boot. Often did, too. Seemed capable of some freakish stuff at times.
It was evident early on that he was going to be something if he worked at it. Which he has.
Nice kid, too. He's a friend of my daughter, who played netball for Bunyip, and she's always spoken highly of him.

I was hoping the Dogs would draft him, actually...

Remove this Banner Ad

National Draft Selection #80 - Michael Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

Back