Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Durham was 300th for kicking efficiency this year, Caldwell about 370th. Durham 192nd for goal assist average, Caldwell 181st. Late July Champion data released a list that had Caldwell as the 9th worst kick inside 50 in the competition. These guys are not what I'm talking about. Good enough to not be liabilities but we need actually damaging players.
Compare them to midfielders mate

There is also much more to it than KE% as the below shows

Theyre both well ahead of Naicos, Bont and Gulden. Durham ahead of Zerrett and Dawson

All 5 id consider the absolute elite kicks of the comp

The eye test says differently aswell, as it does for the above 5 names

Last edited:

Compare them to midfielders mate

There is also much more to it than KE% as the below shows

Theyre both well ahead of Naicos, Bont and Gulden. Durham ahead of Zerrett and Dawson

All 5 id consider the absolute elite kicks of the comp

The eye test says differently aswell, as it does for the above 5 names

I agree that there's context in everything. but that includes that Durham and Caldwell aren't getting tagged, they aren't winning the same amount of contested ball, they aren't taking the high risk reward kicks. They are using the ball at slightly higher percentage, but are getting way less bang for their buck in the way of scores and assists.

They are what they are and that is very good quality support players, but they are not highly damaging stars.

It's strange that people are advocating for blokes that are having 30 less combined goals and assists than the best players in the comp and saying they are sufficient enough midfield talent going forward.

This is not to speak down about these improved players, but that we still need to seriously invest in the midfield.

Last edited:
I agree that there's context in everything. but that includes that Durham and Caldwell aren't getting tagged, they aren't winning the same amount of contested ball, they aren't taking the high risk reward kicks. So they are using the ball at slightly higher percentage despite all that and getting way less bang for their buck in the way of scores and assists.

They are what they are and that is very good quality support players, but they are not highly damaging stars.

It's strange that people are advocating for blokes that are having 30 less combined goals and assists than the best players in the comp and saying they are sufficient enough midfield talent going forward.

This not to speak down about these improved players but the context is we still need to seriously invest in the midfield.

Yeh i probably wouldnt pick a KPF at our current 1st pick if it were me

I just dont think their just at minimal afl standard by foot

There next step is to improve that SI by 1 a game each, but a decent forward line would also aid in that

I see Caldwell and Durham as defensive midfielders. Sometimes both and certainly Caldwell did jobs most weeks for the first half of the year

Durhams first year onball, hes far from the end product. He took a while to get his head around the onball craft when you consider PS and the opening 4-5 weeks. He got better as the year went on

But i think its clear we need better players, if we didnt, we would be where Sydney are. Those guys come from the pointy end of the draft usually

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back