NCFL Central discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely you’d know, you have an opinion on every league and player/coach in the state by your post history?

Stick to the Addy front page

I’m fortunate enough to have been involved in country footy all my life and that combined with many people o have met along the way means I have gathered some knowledge.

Haha was waiting for a cheap shot.

Last edited:
I’m fortunate enough to have been involved in country footy all my life and that combined with many people o have met along the way means I have gathered some knowledge.

Haha was waiting for a cheap shot.
Just as cheap potting someone you don’t know or have never seen play outside of the AFL system. Don’t judge what you are read or told eh?

A few paper bags up here.

On SM-S911B using BigFooty.com mobile app
This article reflects very poorly on Madigan and shows his complete ignorance around country footy. A lot of these clubs that are paying top dollar simply don’t have juniors to develop. If these clubs stopped payments they wouldn’t have a club. And the gall of the gisborne bloke, living in a town of 20,000 on the doorstep of Melbourne. A real ‘pulling the ladder up behind us’ mentality.

Just get rid of the ridiculous and unenforceable salary cap. It’s done way more harm than good.

A VCFL that is run by the country leagues, for the country leagues is the only solution. An AFL run organisation, headed by a metro-centric, private schooler, with no knowledge of country footy is never going to work.

This article reflects very poorly on Madigan and shows his complete ignorance around country footy. A lot of these clubs that are paying top dollar simply don’t have juniors to develop. If these clubs stopped payments they wouldn’t have a club. And the gall of the gisborne bloke, living in a town of 20,000 on the doorstep of Melbourne. A real ‘pulling the ladder up behind us’ mentality.

Just get rid of the ridiculous and unenforceable salary cap. It’s done way more harm than good.

A VCFL that is run by the country leagues, for the country leagues is the only solution. An AFL run organisation, headed by a metro-centric, private schooler, with no knowledge of country footy is never going to work.

The powers that be think the salary cap is working. they claim that those they have spoken to think it’s been a huge success.

Maybe it’s about time they go and speak to some people that are not “definitely going to give them the answers they want to hear”

It’s extra workload on an already thinning volunteer base, and it’s a death sentence for those clubs who want to do the right thing.

The powers that be think the salary cap is working. they claim that those they have spoken to think it’s been a huge success.

Maybe it’s about time they go and speak to some people that are not “definitely going to give them the answers they want to hear”

It’s extra workload on an already thinning volunteer base, and it’s a death sentence for those clubs who want to do the right thing.
Yep, when Madigan asks his mates in the VAFA they’d be raving about it. They can find $150k+ jobs for players, safe in the knowledge country clubs can’t get near them because they have a ridiculous salary cap limiting payments. And with more and more top country juniors receiving scholarships to these schools, it’s only going to get worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few paper bags up here.

On SM-S911B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nothing here we didnt already know. Kudos for whoever instigated the story and put it out there for the broader public to see. Doubt however it will result in any change from the AFL. They will only pull their heads out of wherever it is when country footy is stuffed. Its on life support now.

What it is doing is letting country clubs compete with city clubs. Prior to the salary cap introduction premier metro clubs were spending 300-400k a season. No one was coming to the country to play. Yep some clubs go well over and hide it, but really it's community footy, there's a lot of effort involved to hide it.

I think it's a bit rich from Charlton, they've paid quality players good money too. Barker and he's mates weren't cheap.

If you scrap the salary it becomes a real free for all, I think you'll see more country clubs fold if that's the case, they may spend big for a year and lose all their players the next year and have no club.

Madigan is in charge but doesn't want to hurt he's ammos mates and their comp, if you drop the ammos points and metro clubs points then mote players will head to the country and keep clubs alive. Having leagues localise things like points and salary just drops the standard of the league if the neighbouring league doesn't follow suit. He's got zero idea about community football

I just can't fathom why football is run like this in Victoria, yet it operates so differently in Western Australia.

There are none of these problems in the west. Their biggest issue is population decline in the bush - things like player points and salary caps barely register on the radar.

What does WA do right that VIC doesn't in your opinion? What would be the main takeaways if VIC were sit down and analyse how WA does it?

What it is doing is letting country clubs compete with city clubs. Prior to the salary cap introduction premier metro clubs were spending 300-400k a season. No one was coming to the country to play. Yep some clubs go well over and hide it, but really it's community footy, there's a lot of effort involved to hide it.

I think it's a bit rich from Charlton, they've paid quality players good money too. Barker and he's mates weren't cheap.

If you scrap the salary it becomes a real free for all, I think you'll see more country clubs fold if that's the case, they may spend big for a year and lose all their players the next year and have no club.

Madigan is in charge but doesn't want to hurt he's ammos mates and their comp, if you drop the ammos points and metro clubs points then mote players will head to the country and keep clubs alive. Having leagues localise things like points and salary just drops the standard of the league if the neighbouring league doesn't follow suit. He's got zero idea about community football
Bit rich having a dip at Charlton Trent, back then(Barker would have been about 25 years ago) the trend was to pay a couple to top up your locals and win a flag. Having a look at a few of the NCFL sides today you will find 8 to 10 very well paid imports. Not having a go at them though, if they make it spend it any way you want, however the capacity to raise funds is easier for some than others. Scrap points and salary cap at least to put everyone on an almost even playing field.

What does WA do right that VIC doesn't in your opinion? What would be the main takeaways if VIC were sit down and analyse how WA does it?

Less bureaucracy would be a start.

Country Footy WA (the country football peak body) comes under the WA Football Commission and consists of an eight-person board, five office staff as well as 10 regional officers, who mainly do game development and clinics.

There are no regional admin hubs and football runs in the same way as it did when the VCFL ran country football in Victoria. Given the spread of leagues around the state and the fact that the majority of leagues have eight clubs or less, hubs would be a waste of money.

The key difference is that leagues are autonomous and can make their own decisions without the peer group pressure applied by the AFL or the WAFC. There are rarely occurrences when CFWA or the WAFC gets involved in an issue - the most recent ones I recall when they did were the Goldfields semi-final two years ago when both clubs played an ineligible player and the other was when Brookton-Pingelly was found to have breached its salary cap each year for five years. On both occasions, the league asked CFWA for guidance.

Last edited:
Bit rich having a dip at Charlton Trent, back then(Barker would have been about 25 years ago) the trend was to pay a couple to top up your locals and win a flag. Having a look at a few of the NCFL sides today you will find 8 to 10 very well paid imports. Not having a go at them though, if they make it spend it any way you want, however the capacity to raise funds is easier for some than others. Scrap points and salary cap at least to put everyone on an almost even playing field.
Had their recruits turned out to be better then what they have produced, or they were able to get the coaches brother and a handful of blokes out of Flat we wouldn't be hearing from them.

I am assuming the $45k was directed at Jenkins? I don't believe the figure is $45k. But I'm sure he doesn't go home with empty pockets either. 8 hr round trips don't come cheap for anyone.

Are they suggesting if Mitch Collins' brother inlaw was a former 150 odd game, absolute mountain of man, AFL player they wouldn't have invested in him?
No because they already went there in 2016 with Hooper on a 2 game deal that netted them a flag and resulted in the league changing the rules. no $$ involved there either I'm sure. Yeah, I'm still jaded.

Sea Lake draw from a huge area and have the best following in the league. Their kids are as good as any. They have solid talent coming through for a few years. However the free hit they got a couple of years ago with the Woomalang crew being 1 pointers still doesn't sit well with many in the league.

The facts are, there less kids coming through across the board resulting in a smaller talent pool to draw from, so all clubs are paying well over market value.

Sorry, I should add I don't agree with the reported dollars that are getting thrown around, But banning player payments all together is not the answer.

Last edited:

NCFL Central discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back