NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Something against Brisbane? Bloody hot without a decent beach but surely one of their sides will play finals.....

Haha no nothing against Brisbane. I didn't consider geography when spending 3 seconds thinking about this.

By the way Southbank has a beautiful beach.....ha

Another year when anything can happen, like last year I reckon injuries will play there part.

Wow Stuyd.....you have a significantly greater rating and opinion on Kiel than I have....thought he was handy, but nowhere in the same class as Payne. Payne wins the hard balls - Kiel will be up forward.. interesting. Good for the Sharks if youre right.

Maurie,
Kiel must of improved immensely under the Vfl system.not only played all games but won the Best Clubman award for Box Hill in 2011.So has obviously made his mark at this level.Thus he will be a asset for Southport as a very good player and clubman... something all clubs need, ie dedication to the club both on and off the field.
I agree, still maybe not at Paynes level on the playing field, but should cover a substanial portion of .

Wonaemirri to Thunde is official, should be an exciting player to have in the league. Good replacement for Tungatalum who is looking doubtful.

Don't know where the money will come from,

but ,

AFL Cairns has announced that they are submitting a proposal to join the NEAFL next year

Any thoughts fellas. .?

Don't know where the money will come from,

but ,

AFL Cairns has announced that they are submitting a proposal to join the NEAFL next year

Any thoughts fellas. .?

There has been a bit on talk about that previously. Overall I support the idea but an 11 team comp is not much good. All 10 teams in the current structure are competitive so how would it work? Will the nt stay or be elevated into sanfl? Could be a straight swap.

On the subject of expansion , I'd like to see a team based in Sydney with a south pacific focus. Those islanders have sporting ability and have always played the rugby codes. With izzy fallou the afl is trying to change that. The team could be similar to nt thunder, a core of hardened footy players with indigenous players from everywhere. The pacific islander team would have a core of players and a few talented young guys from the islands.

A possibility?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they will struggle
Can't see the Cairns effort working
Cost to run a team in NEAFL is large and that is if you are SEQ based, Thunder works because there are large contributions from Rio Tinto, Era, NT Government and Australian Sports Commission

Cairns will be guaranteed no money from the Qld Government, can't see any funding from mines (Clive Palmer may be available !!!!) and the will need at least 4 full-time employees including a full-time coach.
I would suspect an annual budget of a million dollars and also I would suspect some resistance from the local clubs (as is the the case in NT)
As a long term proposition one would have to be very sceptical.

With regards to the Pacific Islands idea, it is even less likely to occur.
AFL Pacific based from QAFL and it is a constant struggle to get funding for this program, complicated by players needing work visas and absolutley no
funding from the Pacific Islands themselves. The programs at present are run on a shoe string.

Those islanders have sporting ability and have always played the rugby codes. With izzy fallou the afl is trying to change that. The team could be similar to nt thunder, a core of hardened footy players with indigenous players from everywhere. The pacific islander team would have a core of players and a few talented young guys from the islands.

A possibility?

ive said simmilar on this forum. its no mistake the AFL recruited both campaigner and izzy. they are both 'islanders'. its a no brainer what the AFL are doing. they see all this islander talent in the NRL and want some of the action.

some of the nancy boys dont like it. they claim race doesnt have anything to do with ability....well, go and buy some chinese ping pong players....

Can't see the Cairns effort working
Cost to run a team in NEAFL is large and that is if you are SEQ based, Thunder works because there are large contributions from Rio Tinto, Era, NT Government and Australian Sports Commission

Cairns will be guaranteed no money from the Qld Government, can't see any funding from mines (Clive Palmer may be available !!!!) and the will need at least 4 full-time employees including a full-time coach.
I would suspect an annual budget of a million dollars and also I would suspect some resistance from the local clubs (as is the the case in NT)
As a long term proposition one would have to be very sceptical.

With regards to the Pacific Islands idea, it is even less likely to occur.
AFL Pacific based from QAFL and it is a constant struggle to get funding for this program, complicated by players needing work visas and absolutley no
funding from the Pacific Islands themselves. The programs at present are run on a shoe string.
They will need a doctor as well mate

From NEAFL site today - 18's did win premership last year but reserves certainly didnt

MORNINGSIDE MIXES IT UP IN 2012 By Terry Wilson (Gold Coast Bulletin)
A MIXTURE of former club stalwarts and young hopefuls is the recipe the Morningside Panthers will be working on this NEAFL season.
In the wash-up to last year's grand final wipeout by the Northern Territory Thunder, it is rebuilding time at Esplen Oval again with a host of wisened older hands departing the scene.
But, as usual, the Panthers will be looking at a crop of rising talent to keep the club up with the front-runners of the competition.
Not many clubs could come back after losing so many top-liners, but the Panthers have become used to it, according to new coach Aaron Rogers.
Gone from Morningside are Jacob Gough and Nick Clark (retired), Peter Yagmoor (Collingwood), Jackson Allen (Gold Coast Suns), Tom Bell (Carlton), Jack Lawler (Darwin), Caleb Brown and Luke Ferguson (back to Mayne), Josh Bruekers (Wynnum) and Austin Lucy (Mackay).
That group represents a sizeable chunk of ability, so the Panthers are turning to the well-used policy of focusing on development from within with the help of some Panther legends.
Morningside's under-18s and reserves won flags last year , so the basis of a future is there.
Gains include Daniel Duffield (Kedron), Jamie Hackett (Redland), Jamie Elliott (North Cairns), Josh Sugden (Toowoomba) and Chris Hunt (Western Magpies).
The hopefuls from the under-18s and reserves include Andrew Bissett, Jordan Bourke, Dan Poultney, Jack Ryan, Will Wolbers, Brodie Tebutt, Sam Adam, Ryan Johnson, Josh Smith, Brian Coleman-Broom, Rhys Power, Nick Bartoli-Simmonds, James Nightingale and Michael Wyld all looking to cement places in the senior side this season.
But, with all due respect to the newcomers, there does not appear to be any big-name signings.
``The Morningside policy over the last 20 years, I guess, is to really focus on developing talent from within,'' said Rogers.
``We don't have the resources to go out and recruit big names, so again we'll give the young players every opportunity we can.
``We have a really good batch of young guys who have been exposed to senior football over the past few years, a bunch who have had around 20 games.
``They've been exposed to it and they're working hard in the gym, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they go.''
So will Panther old boys Craig Edwards, Paul Sherwood and Barton McGuckin, who are back in the red, white and black assisting Rogers.
``I'm really happy with our coaching panel,'' he said.
``They are old boys who did a lot in their own footy careers and who can pass on their knowledge.''
Rogers, one of five 2012 NEAFL North division coaches with a background at ACT club Eastlake, has taken over at Morningside from John Blair.
Rogers, who joined the Panthers in 2010, played a handful of early-2011 games before doing his knee so badly he decided to retire. He sat on the coaching bench with Blair for the remainder of the 2011 campaign.
As a player, Rogers was drafted from Sydney as a 17-year-old by Melbourne before moving back to Sydney, then spending time with Glenelg in the SANFL

ive said simmilar on this forum. its no mistake the AFL recruited both campaigner and izzy. they are both 'islanders'. its a no brainer what the AFL are doing. they see all this islander talent in the NRL and want some of the action.

some of the nancy boys dont like it. they claim race doesnt have anything to do with ability....well, go and buy some chinese ping pong players....

Really? Considering the AFL said exactly this at the time....:rolleyes: Surely you didn't have arguments with people who thought otherwise??

Two clubs competing for former Fremantle Rookie - Casey Sibasado. Has walked out on WAFL club and heading to QLD. Outstanding athlete from all reports and can play at either end. Come to the Sharks Casey!!

Two clubs competing for former Fremantle Rookie - Casey Sibasado. Has walked out on WAFL club and heading to QLD. Outstanding athlete from all reports and can play at either end. Come to the Sharks Casey!!

So that's where he's gone. Was pretty much forced out of the WAFL because the 1 game he played for Freo in the final round last year meant that he became worth a lot of points under the WAFL's points cap and Perth couldn't fit him in.

Handy key position player, plenty of talent. Just never had the application. Was subbed off in his AFL game halfway through the 3rd quarter because he was knackered playing out of the goalsquare, giving you an indication of his fitness level.

A good news story re the Vultures on NEAFL web site...seems a few of the domesday posters in here were way off the mark......its ok to be envious lads...:)

A good news story re the Vultures on NEAFL web site...seems a few of the domesday posters in here were way off the mark......its ok to be envious lads...:)

I think Mr Mellor might be a little ambitious with some of his comments. Adam Tarrant & Michael Hammill will be big losses to cover. The loss of Amua Parika & John James might sound like a lot on paper but will prove vital when game time comes around. He also hinted about being a key forward short. you would of thought they had a ready made recruit in Morrison who was absent last year for some reason or another, rumour has it that he is involved with Coorparoo Kings.
The loss of Lake and Jameison who both made the club humb both in front and behind the scenes will prove to be a huge loss. The jury is out as to what Mellor can produce but from all reports and grumblings that everything is not as rosey as the article made out.

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back