Need a big game from Roughy, Taz and Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 4, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
IMO all 3 have been poor this season in comparison with their very high standards.
Roughy's stats look ok but he has been very junk time this season.
Lewis was so great last year in the absence of Mitch and others but this year has looked so slow in terms of decision making and also physically (although he's never been fast).
As for Hill, had a great breakout season last year and even got tagged in a couple of games from memory but seems to lack any confidence this year and always ends up turning the ball over after running around in circles. Semi surprised he is still getting a game
Need a massive lift from these 3 next Saturday. Can't afford any passengers or even good players underperforming

They can all find a bit and lift I reckon, particularly as two of them have the opportunity to be 4 time premiership players and are Vice Captains of our side but I reckon it's simple - they need to focus on footy as fun and their opportunity to get away from the woes of the world and it will click.

Both blokes would have a bit on their plate mentally with best mate Franko not in a good space (along with Gibbo), wedding and baby on the way and ultimately, the weight of footy immortality weighing down on their shoulders - you can't tell me they wouldn't be thinking these things.

Hilly - if you ask me his problem is he is trying to think too much - first option must always be to run 30 metres before he even looks for looks to kick or handball - that is breaking the lines and why he is in the side, not because of his elite kicking. That said, his running is elite.

Last edited:

IMO all 3 have been poor this season in comparison with their very high standards.
Lewis was so great last year in the absence of Mitch and others but this year has looked so slow in terms of decision making and also physically (although he's never been fast).
As for Hill, had a great breakout season last year and even got tagged in a couple of games from memory but seems to lack any confidence this year and always ends up turning the ball over after running around in circles. Semi surprised he is still getting a game
Need a massive lift from these 3 next Saturday. Can't afford any passengers or even good players underperforming

Not sure if serious, they've all been good.

It's not just these guys, every player needs to be switched on or this will get away from the team. The Hawks need to hit beast mode, like they did in last year's Grand Final.

You only hope there is some petrol left in the tank, history is littered with younger, hungrier, quicker sides doing jobs on established teams in GF's. Our older players must surely be feeling it after 3 finals and travel.

If this teams wins this, I don't care if our current golden era ends round 1. next year. But make no mistake, there is a lot playing against them.

Big games from everyone, or we might as well not turn up.

So the heat is on these 3 players? Hodge has been up and down. So has Gunston. So has Shiels.

Instead of putting the heat on specific players, talk about the team.

Our 22 blokes working together will win it. If 1 or 2 players are down, the rest pick up the slack. Do you forget Mitchell had 13 possessions in the 2013 Grand Final...and we won.

Threads like this are pointless. Be happy you are watching a once in a generation team. Enjoy the GF because you may never seen another one.

Taz has pretty much had a reasonable dose of leather poisioning in 3/4 of his games this year....but doesnt seem to hurt teams as much like he has previously.

I suspect his role has changed a little and age must be catching him slowly.

Would love to see him burst out of the middle on the run and kick a couple like he used to last year.

Would be handy in the GF.

Gonna be a big week.

#playyourrole

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

i've liked how Roughy and Lewis have been playing

but i personally would like to see Hill and Birchall produce better than what they have recently, i'm not talking possession numbers, i'm talking about being more competitive and showing more passion for the contest, i think they are slightly off and an improvement will go a long way to us repeating last years GF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Roughy had a good game but felt the whole game he was NQR, maybe carrying something or just not feeling 100%. As is the mark of a really good player though I felt he willed himself to make an impact.

Thought Roughy had a good game but felt the whole game he was NQR, maybe carrying something or just not feeling 100%. As is the mark of a really good player though I felt he willed himself to make an impact.

Agreed and Lewis likewise. Seems every time Lewis has a chance to win a contested ball he is inclined to toe poke it out or try to handball through traffic with no effect. Taking the heat first and then offloading used to be his go.

Lewis seems to be carrying something since the Shitney game in Round 8. Missed two games after that with a shoulder and looks like it is still bothering him.

Hill is getting more attention this year but has looked better in the past 6 weeks (Eagles game he was poor). Still not as clean as last year but is starting to run and carry and kick goals again which is a good sign.

Roughie is our second leading goal kicker in the finals despite not playing amazingly well. Three or four goals on Saturday would go a long way to us winning.

Hale is the one who needs to lift the most for mine. It's his last game so hopefully he finds the ball and makes Nic Nat accountable by pushing forward. Needs to clunk a couple of marks as he is a liability once the ball hits the deck.

So the heat is on these 3 players? Hodge has been up and down. So has Gunston. So has Shiels.

Instead of putting the heat on specific players, talk about the team.

Our 22 blokes working together will win it. If 1 or 2 players are down, the rest pick up the slack. Do you forget Mitchell had 13 possessions in the 2013 Grand Final...and we won.

Threads like this are pointless. Be happy you are watching a once in a generation team. Enjoy the GF because you may never seen another one.
Great post Phil!
Teams need all 22 players to succeed. We can have 3 players get 35+ pos. or a bag of goals & still lose!
No passengers, a team effort will get us there.

Geez we are hard on Rough at the moment. The comment about being junk time is off as he had a crucial tackle in their defence when free had their tail up. Then booted a huge goal on half time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Need a big game from Roughy, Taz and Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back