New AFL Video Game - Part 4 - READ FAQ BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL Game Part 3

Oh, I get it now.

It's like AFL Live 2004, where you could play multiple seasons, but there was no draft. You have the same lists each year.
After the Finals Series, it went straight to the 'Pre-Season tournament.'
The player stats were stored, but the attributes of the players would remain the same.

You say that players age but do their attributes change?

I can understand why some people would like the flexibility of being able to tinker with all the teams manually but...

No drafting and no trades done unless you do them manually? Most trades involve draft picks anyway. This does sound like a bit of a lazy effort but if the effort is instead put solely into the gameplay then I'll be satisfied.

OK so I understand that you cannot edit the current AFL players' appearances but can, for instance, you change their guernsey numbers? (example Chris Judd from #5 to #3 on Carlton)

Thanks

Oh and just one more question please,

When the game initially starts up, will there be, like in FIFA 10, an Arena mode where you have one player or an entire team and just the ability to kick around and take shots at goal etc? Big thanks

Oh and just one more question please,

When the game initially starts up, will there be, like in FIFA 10, an Arena mode where you have one player or an entire team and just the ability to kick around and take shots at goal etc? Big thanks

Nope, training is in a separate menu item.

Re: New AFL Video Game - Part 4

There are multiple season in that your record is stored and the players individual stat's are stored form season to season.

Players are retired by you just taking them off the club list.

Players are traded by adding them to another clubs list.

You can create a player and add him to any list.

If you just want to play the game for multiple seasons with the same players then you can. If you want to simulate what is happening in the real world then you can.

Sorry for the confusion, I hope this is clear?

Hang on a sec. You're saying we need to retire and trade players ourselves? What about with the AI? Say an opposition team has 5 players retire. Does that mean that it's up to us to either transfer some players to their list or create some new players for them? Or will the AI just procure 5 random players to take over?

Or what about looking several (in game) years down the track. Say I'm 5 years into my season mode, and I've had 10 players retire in that time. Do I then have to trade/create 10 new players for my list? If so, could I not just create 10 superstar teenagers with max stats? And I would have to name them, wouldn't I? So if I have no knowledge of this years draft, I'll have to make up 10 new names out of thin air. Seems like an awful lot of work for something that should be extremely simple.

And you say we can "simulate what is happening in the real world". Doesn't that open the door to exploitation? I could just put Riewoldt, Brown, Franklin, Ablett & Swan in my team with absolutely no repercussions.

I don't like the sound of this at all. Why couldn't you guys have just included random names in the draft like in previous AFL games and all other sporting games. Look at the FIFAs and the Maddens. They just have randomly generated players fill the draft/scout list, and it works fine. Just as long as the names aren't "Lance Riewoldt" or "Dane Pavlich". :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do the topics get locked when they reach 1000 posts?
I've noticed that some posts have been moved from part 3 to part 4.
:confused:

Request from the DBA of the Big Group. Threads over a 1000 posts cause significant load to the MySql backend database. So to keep BigFooty, BigSoccer etc running at a reasonable pace they ask us to do this.

Hang on a sec. You're saying we need to retire and trade players ourselves? What about with the AI? Say an opposition team has 5 players retire. Does that mean that it's up to us to either transfer some players to their list or create some new players for them? Or will the AI just procure 5 random players to take over?

Or what about looking several (in game) years down the track. Say I'm 5 years into my season mode, and I've had 10 players retire in that time. Do I then have to trade/create 10 new players for my list? If so, could I not just create 10 superstar teenagers with max stats? And I would have to name them, wouldn't I? So if I have no knowledge of this years draft, I'll have to make up 10 new names out of thin air. Seems like an awful lot of work for something that should be extremely simple.

And you say we can "simulate what is happening in the real world". Doesn't that open the door to exploitation? I could just put Riewoldt, Brown, Franklin, Ablett & Swan in my team with absolutely no repercussions.

I don't like the sound of this at all. Why couldn't you guys have just included random names in the draft like in previous AFL games and all other sporting games. Look at the FIFAs and the Maddens. They just have randomly generated players fill the draft/scout list, and it works fine. Just as long as the names aren't "Lance Riewoldt" or "Dane Pavlich". :p

very good points.

My thoughts exactly, Can you explain this a little better please??

How will goal kicking work? Will the camera change from the side view and will we be given a image of the goals like in AFL 07? Curious to know how easy/hard it is to slot a goal from say 20-40-55 metres out.

Few Queries Bigant mate, I know they might have been already answered/not answered.

All Australian? Yes/No/Can't answer yet?

Createable teams, will there be a whole heap of generic logos and jumpers like they had in rugby league 2?

And also, this might sound a little weird but is there any chance us bigfooty members could have our surnames in the game? Like we compile a list and when the commentators do their recording they could add our names in? Obviously might have to wait till next version, although they might have to add all the new draftees in anyway...

Cheers mate, love your work.

So if im reading correctly, you can edit players teams, attributes and do all list management manually, that's great news for someone who wants to manage/update their own rosters.

However it seems this is the only way that lists can change, even in multiple season mode, so their is no ai list management at all.

This does take a lot of the fun out of doing a multiple season mode, however ai trading and draft would be more difficult and time consuming to program than people think, so obviously big ant are focusing on getting the gameplay right first, and a full on career mode with realistic trades, drafts etc will come in later versions.

For now I guess the hardcore players could always write some script that retires players, makes trades and generates and drafts rookies.

And then go and make all the required manual changes in their game.

If you read between the lines, proper player\list management stuff will come in the release after this one.

For me I'm not into DreamTeam\SuperCoach games or Football Manager games. I just want a footy game that's fun to play in single player and online.

Everything else is window dressing...(IMO).

They will probably say the player number, most likely.

its so bad when they do that though. imagine when we create our own team, the commentator would just be saying numbers the whole time
Thats what It'd be cool if we could get our surnames put into the game commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back