Are you happy with Andrew McQualter?

• Yes

Votes: 103 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 30 22.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

I will give the only information that I can.

This decision was made on the basis of 2 reasons.
1. The health of Steven King (he was the lead applicant)
2. The existing relationships McQualter had with the Richmond players seeking trade.

I have had discussions in the past with McQualter and he is good with the kids however I didn't get to see the full presentations as I wasn't part of the process. He inspires confidence and will certainly have his own way of doing things.

Lastly this has been finalised since last Wednesday it was just decided to announce post grand final out of respect to the AFL and in particular the teams in the lead up to the grand final.

This decision plus the grand final has thrown a lot of what i've been doing up in the air and made significant differences, I have to get back to it as some player targets, contract options and what the senior coach has presented has changed what the club is looking for and when.

I have my personal opinions on the appointment but will keep them to myself as this stage as I am busy and still working for the club.

I will be able to give full details 2 days post draft as that is when finalisation of my contract.

I wish Andrew all the best on what is going to be a very challenging role moving forward. I expect further changing to the coaching and development team to follow.

They can't be the 2 main reasons and if they are the club is in more trouble than even the most pessimistic supporters think

I don't mind McQualter as an appointment on face value however.

Disappointed if both of those reasons played a significant part

Unless Kings health condition is really serious, would hate that he missed out because of it.

McQualter's relationship with Tiger players should have had no bearing - it's not like any of them are H.Reid - I'd rather they just appoint the best coach. Hopefully he is...

The first played a very serious part. I do firmly believe even still it was a very close thing and McQualter was always at least second on the board of options.

Only those in the room who made the decision will know the reason they chose Mini over King & Skipworth.
Yes there will be hearsay and conjecture as to the reasons, and the information may very well be 100% true, but like in every establishment I've worked at, people pass on information from their perspective, and not always the facts.
I'm going to trust the process as we've had a pretty good track record in the past.

If it was a case that King was the first choice with health ruling him out, and McQualter and Skipworth were very close, I could see the Tigers players being a positive for McQualter.
Not to the point where it flips a decision, but its always a plus when a coach can bring a couple of experienced players who fill a list need(age)

2. The existing relationships McQualter had with the Richmond players seeking trade.

I have had discussions in the past with McQualter and he is good with the kids however I didn't get to see the full presentations as I wasn't part of the process. He inspires confidence and will certainly have his own way of doing things.

Lastly this has been finalised since last Wednesday it was just decided to announce post grand final out of respect to the AFL and in particular the teams in the lead up to the grand final.

This decision plus the grand final has thrown a lot of what i've been doing up in the air and made significant differences, I have to get back to it as some player targets, contract options and what the senior coach has presented has changed what the club is looking for and when.

I have my personal opinions on the appointment but will keep them to myself as this stage as I am busy and still working for the club.

I will be able to give full details 2 days post draft as that is when finalisation of my contract.

I wish Andrew all the best on what is going to be a very challenging role moving forward. I expect further changing to the coaching and development team to follow.
Always appreciate whatever you can contribute on subjects like this. I am sure you proof read it several times before posting to be safe.
On the Richmond players thing hopefully this more means his knowledge of the players and what they can add and contribute to better the team more than "If you hire me they will come"
Pretty sure the people running the show wouldn't be appointing a coach just on the grounds of getting a couple of mid-ranged mid-aged players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you let us know what happened with Schofield? How far did he get?

Nowhere and Skipworth was never really in consideration.

I just want to point out the process was completely exhaustive in reducing the field and whom the club targets were as well as the first presentations. The points I made were just final considerations at the very last stage of the process.

Very random choice, probably won't last trialling him for a few seasons. Would have preferred Simpson just to stay instead of giving someone an apprenticeship learning how to senior coach after their brief 2023 caretaker Richmond gig.

The bolded is disappointing and what I was concerned about.

We shouldn't be making a decision as big as the one for Senior Coach based off the preferences of some Richmond role players.

Comes across as farfetched IMO, both of the reasons. No club is making a coaching decision based on 2 or 3 players who may or may not join and I doubt King went from has the job to not having it because of a medical episode related to fatigued during a very busy few day period.

I like your posts mate and I’m not trying to shut down what you bring to the board, because it’s great value. Just thinking out loud.

You say “the only information I can”, presumably from an angle of confidentiality/not leaking privileged info, and then proceed to give pretty much the only info anyone would ever worry about being leaked.

If I had a legitimate inside scoop but wasn’t allowed to leak it, and posted to the effect of “I can’t say too much but just keep an eye on an S Bolton on a four year deal to West Coast”…that’s pretty much all there is to it at that point. There’s really nothing else to leak.

What would classify as a breach if those two posts don’t.

Again not really trying to have a shot at you so hope it doesn’t come off that way, more just thinking that reads as a pretty big breach of privileged access to me, if true, so wondering why that’s where the line is drawn in what you can or can’t say.

I like your posts mate and I’m not trying to shut down what you bring to the board, because it’s great value. Just thinking out loud.

You say “the only information I can”, presumably from an angle of confidentiality/not leaking privileged info, and then proceed to give pretty much the only info anyone would ever worry about being leaked.

If I had a legitimate inside scoop but wasn’t allowed to leak it, and posted to the effect of “I can’t say too much but just keep an eye on an S Bolton on a four year deal to West Coast”…that’s pretty much all there is to it at that point. There’s really nothing else to leak.

Again not really trying to have a shot at you so hope it doesn’t come off that way, more just thinking that reads as a pretty big breach of privileged access to me, if true, so wondering why that’s where the line is drawn in what you can or can’t say.

Not involved in the coaching process. My NDA covering whom the coach is, up until the coach was announced which it was internally this morning.

I can't give any other comments other than that i've been pulled off of any negotiations with Richmond players, my board has been completely shuffled and that I will be involved in all other negotiations between now and during the draft but not in the draft board (only in potential on the day live trades)

Very random choice, probably won't last trialling him for a few seasons. Would have preferred Simpson just to stay instead of giving someone an apprenticeship learning how to senior coach after their brief 2023 caretaker Richmond gig.
How is it different as to when we appointed Simmo?

I'm not going to be as polite as you, but to me it all sounds like absolute bull shit.

If it was a case that King was the first choice with health ruling him out, and McQualter and Skipworth were very close, I could see the Tigers players being a positive for McQualter.
Not to the point where it flips a decision, but its always a plus when a coach can bring a couple of experienced players who fill a list need(age)
Surely King's health cannot have been a factor, all reports are that the collapse was nothing life threatening and the most likely cause was dehydration and/or fatigue.

I cannot imagine the selection panel thought "oh no he didn't drink enough water, he isn't head coach material."

Surely King's health cannot have been a factor, all reports are that the collapse was nothing life threatening and the most likely cause was dehydration and/or fatigue.

I cannot imagine the selection panel thought "oh no he didn't drink enough water, he isn't head coach material."
Reports arent necessarily 100% truthful. They may not disclose the real reason to protect Kings privacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach NEW HEAD COACH - Welcome to West Coast: Andrew McQualter

Back