New Inquest in to the death of Mark Haines - Tamworth

Remove this Banner Ad

One day later, and there still appears to be no news about the directions hearing. The Tamworth newspaper (the Northern Daily Leader) is available for registered users through the eresources at the State Library of NSW, so I checked that, hoping for some sort of update, but I couldn't find anything.
:(

I keep wishing the courts would put out their own news reports. What's the point of having "public" hearings if the public doesn't know what happened? Even if there's a coroner's finding at the end of an inquest, there will be a lot of information left out and not much to explain why the coroner focused on some things and not others.

Links:

Eresources at the State Library of NSW (there's a fantastic range of sources, so it's well worth a look if you're in NSW)

Register your [NSW] public library card for eresources

NewsBank (lots of newspapers, including those in Australia - I think there's usually a delay of a day or so after publication before they're available through the library)

Northern Daily Leader (Tamworth, Australia) on NewsBank (can be viewed as either an image or text)

Well, Upcoming inquests now has that directions hearing again:

Friday 9th August 2024
Inquest into the death of Mark Haines
Directions Hearing
Forensic Medicine and Coroner’s Court Complex, 1A Main Ave, Lidcombe
Courtroom Three at 10AM
Before Her Honour Magistrate Grahame, Deputy State Coroner

I suppose this means it wasn't held last week.

The directions hearing should have been held yesterday (9 Aug 2024) but I can't find any news about it.

If it went ahead there might have been news about whether the inquest hearings will resume on 28 October 2024 in Tamworth and whether more hearings will be needed at some other time after that week, and maybe news about whether the police investigation has a new Officer in Charge or why the coroner's people were asking for one. That's what I was hoping for, anyway.

For future reference, here's the case number according to the NSW Online Registry:

Case number 2022/00343305

Remove this Banner Ad

New Inquest in to the death of Mark Haines - Tamworth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back