new irish player

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, was flagged earlier in the week. Thank Christ he's a Gaelic player not a hurler. What's your opinion on Clark(e)? Seems to turn it over a bit. Goes hard like Setanta, can't question his endeavour, just wonder if that's enough.

Yeah, was flagged earlier in the week. Thank Christ he's a Gaelic player not a hurler. What's your opinion on Clark(e)? Seems to turn it over a bit. Goes hard like Setanta, can't question his endeavour, just wonder if that's enough.

you think he turns it over...? mybe a couple of time's last round' but more often than not he use's the ball to great affect' and your right you can't question his endeavour, he's got better footskills than some afl players who have been playing the game there whole life's

Ciaran Sheehan. What a name!

For those too lazy to click the link, I'll post the article.

Sheehan in line for AFL switch
27 April 2009

Cork under 21 football star Ciaran Sheehan is on the verge of joining fellow county man Setanta O hAilpin at the Carlton Blues.

The 18-year-old, who is preparing for next Monday's All-Ireland under 21 final against Down, is expected to join the Aussie Rules outfit later this year as an international rookie, with Carlton having already forwarded the relevant paper work to the AFL authorities.

The young attacker is set to travel to Melbourne for training with the club in July after his Leaving Cert before returning to Ireland for the remainder of the summer.

"We've been following Ciaran since he was 15," said Carlton recruitment officer Gerard Sholly.

"We've followed him closely and maintained contact with him, and he's already been over to Australia because he has family in Perth. Carlton has now lodged the papers with the AFL.

"He will come over here in July, I believe, to do some training with them and then head back to Ireland before coming back."

Sheehan will link up with fellow Corkman Setanta O hAilpin, while current Cork senior footballers Michael Shields and Aisake O hAilpin have previously played for the Melbourne club.

I knew he was coming too

book19_300.jpg

Here is another article from the HUN which also sheds a bit of light on the story...

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,,25384790-5014663,00.html

Sheehan is a product of the same AFL camps that have unearthed Colm Begley, Martin Clarke, Setanta O'hAilpin and Michael Quinn.

Gerard Sholly, who runs the camps for the Blues, confirmed the news this week.

Sholly described Sheehan as an outstanding athlete who would play in the midfield with the Blues.

Sounds good to me :thumbsu:

They have obviously been watching him for a while so they know enough about him to suggest he can make a fist of it so i'm happy if they are...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you think he turns it over...? mybe a couple of time's last round' but more often than not he use's the ball to great affect' and your right you can't question his endeavour, he's got better footskills than some afl players who have been playing the game there whole life's
thylacine60 has had enough of celtic_pride.

Another celtic would send him round the twist.

Clarke kills his team mates with floating punts... his skills are not his strong point...

Will certainly make a point of getting out to training in July, even if I have to brave the Melboourne cold, and check this guy out. I'm really pleased that the club have been following him for 3 years now, and they are not just plucking some Irish kid out of nowhere just for the sake of it.

Will certainly make a point of getting out to training in July, even if I have to brave the Melboourne cold, and check this guy out. I'm really pleased that the club have been following him for 3 years now, and they are not just plucking some Irish kid out of nowhere just for the sake of it.

I can tell you HBF that from my dealings with Sholly that he Terry Wallace esque when it comes to spin!...

fiddle-de-de, toi toi toi, better stock up on the potatoes Jimmy.

Seriously though I hope this lad turns out alright, might have to start taking some risks with the new teams dominating the draft...

But he is, he's a dual player, hasn't decided fully what way he was going to go, because if we're honest the days of dual players are past us. Now a days there's a lot more training and such, there's just not time in the week to be a dual player.

I was hoping and praying that he'd choose hurling. He's one hell of a promising player, but he was probably always going to choose football, but at least I thought that either way, we'd get to see him in the Cork jersey and a great audition he'd be to either of the panels. But now, no no, not football, not hurling, ye've done it again, taken one of our fine promising prospects and convinced him to go play a game he's never played in a country thousands of miles away at something he'll probably only ever be average player at a mid table club instead of being a star at one of the best counties in the game, in either code.

Of course this is me being happy for the player, I'm happy for him. Meh..I can be bitter for a while.

I think Bluebear knows and he's holding out on us...

November 07 was reported he signed up with us:

http://archives.tcm.ie/laoisnationalist/2007/11/01/story26959.asp

August 08 was reported that he was coming over to train:

http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php/20080807145850638

Since then, nothing...

setanta17 14th October 2008 said:
However Icke said the club may sign another Irish recruit in the near future and are considering Cork’s Ciaran Sheehan and Zach Tuohy from Laois, who has already completed a trial with the club.

“We keep in regular contact with Zach,” Icke said.

“He’s doing an AFL program back in Ireland and hopefully diligently working to that program. He’s keeping us updated. He sends us DVDs of his games. We’ve also got Ciaran Sheehan very much on our radar. When the time comes we’ll make a decision on one or either of those boys.”

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509009

I was all over this about 2 hours ago......but then I had to keep treating patients. :mad:

They have no sense of priorities......its all me, me, me.:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

new irish player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back