New Lead Singers

Remove this Banner Ad

Bont the Lord

Debutant
Apr 11, 2024
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hi
This may have been done before but the uproar about Linkin Park has got me wondering. Besides ACDC and Van Halen to some degree what other band has had any success after replacing their lead singer? INXS and Queen tried it but for me they have come across as glorified cover bands.

Manfred Mann had two different lead vocalists, Paul Jones from 1962 to 1966 and Mike d'Abo from 1966 to 1969. They evolved into
Manfred Mann Chapter3 then Manfred Mann's Earth Band with lead vocals and brill guitar by Chris Rogers [and other?] who had a big hit with "Blinded by the Light".

Paul Jones did vocals on "Do Wah Diddy Diddy", "If You Gotta Go, Go Now" and "Pretty Flamingo".
Mike d'Abo did vocals on "Just Like a Woman", "Semi-Detached Suburban Mr James", "Ha Ha Said The Clown", "Mighty Quinn", "My Name is Jack" and "Fox on the Run".
Paul Jones went on to have a successful solo career [he was still performing last time I heard!] and I love his vocals on "High Time", "I've Been a Bad Bad Boy" and "Sons and Lovers" but Mike D'Abo's voice sounds very similar to me.

Iron Maiden started with Paul D’Anno before becoming well known with Bruce Dickinson. I’m sure there’s a couple of other examples I can come up with but it’s late and I’m tired :p

Cannibal Corpse are one I could think of, made their name with Chris Barnes but I think Corpsegrinder is a better vocalist personally.

Alice in Chains made a necessary change with their comeback after Layne Staley's passing, Duvall is great and he can play guitar too, voice very similar to Layne too.

Pantera had three forgettable glam metal albums with Terry Glaze up front. Enter Phil Anselmo and they took off.

But assuming the OP meant successful bands who replaced their lead singer and remained successful:

Fleetwood Mac. Peter Green was their founder and original singer.

Pink Floyd. Syd Barrett left and Waters/Gilmour took over the vocals.

Deep Purple. In Rod Evans' era they were moderately successful, Ian Gillan replaced Evans and they went from strength to strength. Gillan was fired and replaced with David Coverdale for another great era.

Dutch Symphonic Metal Group The Gathering started with a male lead singer from 1989 to 1993 before going through a few short-term lead singers.

In 1994 they found soprano singer Anneke van Giersbergen who was their lead singer during the bands most successful era, and when she left in 2007 she was replaced by Silje Wergeland who has been their lead singer ever since.

Remove this Banner Ad

New Lead Singers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back