New music discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 albums of the year so far:

Outfit - Too Hot to Sleep
Ducks Ltd. - Harm's Way
Sam Evian - Plunge
Ride - Interplay
Next Time Passions - Coffee & Regrets
Yo - 희망열차를 타고 우주로 가요 (Hopetrain to Universe)
Beth Gibbons - Lives Outgrown
The Decemberists - As It Ever Was, So It Will Be Again
Animal Ghosts - Swell
Richard Thompson - Ship to Shore

It's late July and I have purchased 1 new album, SPC ECO's How Did We Get Here?

This has to be the worst year for music since the Dark Ages. :)

I have purchased a number of Deluxe Editions/Box Sets including the brilliant Spell Blanket: Collected Demos 2006-2009 by Broadcast and Unreadable Communication: Anxious Recordings 1991-1993 by Curve. Two of the UK's most under rated bands from the last 30-35 years.

The only albums I've added to my library this year are Glass Animals, Pearl Jam, Vampire Weekend and Middle Kids, but I haven't been listening to much new music this year. All good albums though.

Didn't Childish Gambino, Denzel Curry, Glass Animals and Eminem all drop an album on the same day? Not all my cup of tea but seems like there's plenty of new releases this year.

I thought the new Pond album had some good stuff on it.

They are probably a band I should like more but their albums are pretty consistent in quality.

One thing I never expected to say about Glass Animals is that they put out a bland, vanilla album, but here we are. Really struggling to get into it.

One thing I never expected to say about Glass Animals is that they put out a bland, vanilla album, but here we are. Really struggling to get into it.
Give it a couple of listens before you write it off, I thought it was a lot less creative than their earlier work on first listen but it's really starting to grow. There's definitely some nice hooks in there.

Give it a couple of listens before you write it off, I thought it was a lot less creative than their earlier work on first listen but it's really starting to grow. There's definitely some nice hooks in there.

Theres definitely some nice tunes and some ear worms, but three songs have almost the same chorus melody. Not sure if that was intentional but its just all a bit safe

Quite enjoying Enough of the Sweet Talk by Lime Cordiale. I kinow they are a bit of a divisive band and while I didn't love or hate their first two albums, I can see how their sound could irritate. But this album shows a bit more variety, a bit more musical craft.

Also listening to The Deluge by Fanning Dempsey, must say, the initial sound wasn't what I was expecting, I was expecting a very familiar sound, but it starts off a bit different before settling back into their routine. Need to give it a couple more spins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New Pumpkins wasn't a bad listen, the Playlunch album was fun too
I listened to this the other day. It's undeniably better than pretty much anything since the end of the 90s, it sounded good and sounded like the Pumpkins, but ultimately, it didn't grab me. If I want to listen to the Pumpkins' sound, I'll listen to their old stuff. I'm certainly not averse to hearing good stuff from old bands, I've been there the whole time for Pearl Jam and love each new release, Green Day and Foo Fighters both released albums that were their best in years and I put on high rotation for a bit. Not sure what it was exactly, maybe just the songs were good without any one song being a standout.

Theres definitely some nice tunes and some ear worms, but three songs have almost the same chorus melody. Not sure if that was intentional but its just all a bit safe
The more I listen to this, the more I enjoy it and personally, I think the three in a row of Tears in Space, I Can't Make You Fall in Love Again and How I Learned to Love the Bomb are creative and different. Found myself randomly humming the tunes.

Return to form for Jack White and his no frills
'No Name' album.
Reckon his best work since peak Stripes..back to rock roots. Outstanding riffs and no fillers.

Remove this Banner Ad

New music discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back