New Radiohead album this weekend!!

Remove this Banner Ad

How much guitar do you want? Anyone can play guitar.

I think the new album is absolutely hypnotic, and don't think it would be improved by more guitar songs.

Radiohead have played guitar in every conceivable way in any variety of styles. From Jonny's sonic teeth shattering solos in Paranoid Android to the haunting simplicity of Street Spirit. The energy driven riffs of Bodysnatchers or Just to the understated chill of Separator or Reckoner.

They have done everything you can do with guitars, and while it sounds great, and great songs like Knives Out, In Limbo or Weird Fishes exist as tributes to guitar genius, I am not opposed to the band showing me the fullest range of their talents, especially if songs like Lotus Flower or Bloom are the result.

Exactly. Pretty sure i've mentioned similar sentiments in this thread. They've exhausted all options with the restrictive format of guitar, bass, drum kit and singer. Once they incorporated new instruments and structures they really have come into their own.

People requesting "more guitar" may need to realise that perhaps Radiohead aren't the band for them.

These are pretty alright.

Did you see this mdc: http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news...-DOOM-making-a-whole-record-together-probably

Two of my favourite dudes. Could be pretty awesome if it eventuates.

Hadn't seen that, cheers. There have been rumours floating around for a while about a DOOM/Yorke project, but my expectations were tempered by the Gazillion Ear remix which was mediocre at best.

I don't think Thom's electronic stuff suits DOOM's voice (needs more grit), so hopefully there'd be someone else also involved with production. Still, fingers crossed this happens.

Also, this made me lol:
DOOM on Yorke said:
he’s cool – he got a lot of ill ass ideas and shit, you know."

Exactly. Pretty sure i've mentioned similar sentiments in this thread. They've exhausted all options with the restrictive format of guitar, bass, drum kit and singer. Once they incorporated new instruments and structures they really have come into their own.

People requesting "more guitar" may need to realise that perhaps Radiohead aren't the band for them.

How can you exhaust all options with guitar, bass and drums? People have been writing new songs with those instruments for years.

I don't mind some of Radiohead's experimental electronic tracks but when they only do that exclusively I get bored with it. They have a much better sound when they incorporate guitars and I wish they'd use them more. Surely great guitarists like Jonny Greenwood and Ed O'Brien are of better use playing guitars then just mucking around with keyboards that any monkey could do.

I don't think Thom's electronic stuff suits DOOM's voice (needs more grit), so hopefully there'd be someone else also involved with production. Still, fingers crossed this happens.

yeah, I didn't like the remix either. I think that Doom can sound really good on tracks with non-gritty production, though (based mainly on the Dangerdoom album). The vocal track in the original Gazzillion Ear is particularly grimy too. I'm hoping that anything they make together will turn out better if Doom's rapping specifically for a Yorke track.

'Us Placers' isn't exactly the best song ever, but I'd be pretty rapt to hear Doom over something like that. I mean if the backing track was an original. You would have heard it before, but anyway:

[YOUTUBE]-xz8FXgLpI4[/YOUTUBE]

I don't know if you have the Radiohead/hip-hop mash-up album someone put out in '05, but I thought this was a pretty good effort, and in general think the guitar riffy stuff would work better with DOOM:

[YOUTUBE]Hg09_GLPGRA[/YOUTUBE]

Oh cool. Sounds good/

btw, I'm totally on the king-of-limbs-part-2-conspiracy-theory bandwagon now. this poster on another forum who posted when KOL was going be released before the official announcement now says that there is gonna be more. maybe just b-sides, but idk.

How can you exhaust all options with guitar, bass and drums? People have been writing new songs with those instruments for years.

I don't mind some of Radiohead's experimental electronic tracks but when they only do that exclusively I get bored with it. They have a much better sound when they incorporate guitars and I wish they'd use them more. Surely great guitarists like Jonny Greenwood and Ed O'Brien are of better use playing guitars then just mucking around with keyboards that any monkey could do.

Read that back, is it not contradictory? Ever have the feeling when you listen to a song that you've heard it before even though its brand new? I do, usually its a rock song using the same structures and compositions used many times before. It's boring, mundane and completely pointless.

Yeah any monkey could do it i'm sure, that statement is so ignorant i'm not even going to bother.

Read that back, is it not contradictory? Ever have the feeling when you listen to a song that you've heard it before even though its brand new? I do, usually its a rock song using the same structures and compositions used many times before. It's boring, mundane and completely pointless.

Yeah any monkey could do it i'm sure, that statement is so ignorant i'm not even going to bother.

How is it contradictory? Plenty of bands have come up with different songs and sounds using traditional guitar, bass and drums. Radiohead's sound on some of their earlier tracks on Pablo Honey and The Bends using guitar, bass and drums are completely different to the sound on their guitar, bass and drum tracks post The Bends.

You don't have to delve into electronica and using wierd instruments just to sound different, in fact a lot of Radiohead's electronica based tracks on their new album sound a lot like the stuff from Kid A and Amnesiac so in effect they are doing nothing new anyway.

I was also exaggerating about the 'any monkey could do it' stuff. I just think that it's a waste when you have two great guitarists at your disposal and just make albums pissing about with experimental electronica tracks.

same thing happens with electronic music; probably more so.

laughable to claim that the guitar, bass, drum kit and singer format is restrictive or that radiohead (of all bands :D) have "exhausted all options" with this format. thousands of bands still continue to successfully experiment with this sort of format. what rock song has the same structure/composition to this track:

[youtube]T3ez-DpwiqM[/youtube]

i think radiohead's most interesting stuff is when they utilise the guitar, bass, drum kit and singer format with electronic influences. which is prob why i rate httt.

also, arguably their most experimental track (treefingers) is a guitar track not an electronic track. :)

edit:

the bends is naff, ftr.

How is it contradictory? Plenty of bands have come up with different songs and sounds using traditional guitar, bass and drums. Radiohead's sound on some of their earlier tracks on Pablo Honey and The Bends using guitar, bass and drums are completely different to the sound on their guitar, bass and drum tracks post The Bends.

You don't have to delve into electronica and using wierd instruments just to sound different, in fact a lot of Radiohead's electronica based tracks on their new album sound a lot like the stuff from Kid A and Amnesiac so in effect they are doing nothing new anyway.

I was also exaggerating about the 'any monkey could do it' stuff. I just think that it's a waste when you have two great guitarists at your disposal and just make albums pissing about with experimental electronica tracks.

Possibly i was letting my own bias get in the way because i'm legitimately bored with the traditional composition that we're talking about. Very few bands if any are exciting me with buy just solely using the composition at the moment, i refuse to listen to music that is rehashed with different lyrics or a different riff. However i think the bolded is part is you being biased as well, the electronica clearly serves a purpose and they do it very well.

I love the creative freedom all the extra instruments afford the band, they can make sounds not possible with a traditional composition. How is that not a good thing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

laughable to claim that the guitar, bass, drum kit and singer format is restrictive or that radiohead (of all bands :D) have "exhausted all options" with this format. thousands of bands still continue to successfully experiment with this sort of format. what rock song has the same structure/composition to this track:

[youtube]T3ez-DpwiqM[/youtube

i think radiohead's most interesting stuff is when they utilise the guitar, bass, drum kit and singer format with electronic influences. which is prob why i rate httt.

also, arguably their most experimental track (treefingers) is a guitar track not an electronic track. :)

edit:

the bends is naff, ftr.

I agree, the way they can implement all facets is remarkable. I may have miss understood but i thought plugger was saying to ditch all the electonic wizardry and focus on the guitars which i think would be a great shame.

I also think the bends is a bit naff.

[youtube]T3ez-DpwiqM[/youtube]

edit:

the bends is naff, ftr.

Yeah but suspence, that is bloody awful.
;)

I listened to The Bends today for the first time in ages and it is a ****ing great album. I think people get carried away with ok computer because the worlds music media did. I'm not saying it isn't a very very good record but I'm still not convinced it is Radioheads best work.

Agree with this.
After 'The Bends' they started the slow process of disappearing up their own arses...

It's so far in front of the Bends it's not funny. If you didn't like OK Computer, I'm guessing you don't like Radiohead.

I love The Bends and Kid A is in my top 10 albums of all time does that mean I don't like radiohead?

Ok Computer is not to everyones taste and thats ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

New Radiohead album this weekend!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back