New Rule

Remove this Banner Ad

chucksnephew

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2008
swamp land
AFL Club
Gold Coast
On the weekend the umpires informed the players before the game that a new rule was made during the week that any down field free kicks would be paid by, where the ball lands it will be a 50m penalty from that point. Just wondering if that was introduced to all games and what people thought about it?

I havent heard of the rule but i think we got a goal from it on saturday, there was a downfield from a centre clearance then a 50 took the guy to goal square. I thought the 50 was cos the catani guy knocked the ball away after the whistle but it must have been for this rule.

yeah it is a free kick from where the ball bounces and a 50m penalty from that there. Terrible rule i believe, it is pretty much a 100m penalty and we had two called against us on the weekend for very soft decisions, and cost us two goals... hopefully it doesnt stay in for too long

Fortunately there were none awarded in our game. However it seems the head honchos at the league have got the rule wrong. In the AFL the rule is to stop the players from being infringed so that they cannot recieve the 1-2 (ala Sam Mitchell on Gary Ablett in last years Grand Final). In the AFL it is simply a 50m awarded from where the player is infringed. The new rule in the EDFL is some made up one.

Absolutely disgraceful rule. I dunno where they pulled this shit from, it isnt a rule in the AFL or anywhere. Seems like they've just made it up.

We were in shock when we were told before the game, and sure enough a soft downfield in the first quarter cost us 100m penalty and goal.

Shit will hit the fan if it costs a team the game. Wouldnt be suprised if it gets axed.

We had the same umpires from the Grand Final and they said before the match that they would only apply it to real blatant ones and to their word they did not call one for the day. I think if it is ruled like this it should not be a problem. However if you get inconsistancy across the different umpires things could get a bit messy.

Agree it is a shit rule though and one that seems to be made up from this air.

Dont think it was ever going to effect the result lucifer! Pink jumpers were great.

I was watching and wasnt sure what they paid it for cos i never heard of the rule. I thought it was cos a catani guy knocked the ball away but it didnt deserve a 50m penalty.

Dont think it was ever going to effect the result lucifer! Pink jumpers were great.

I was watching and wasnt sure what they paid it for cos i never heard of the rule. I thought it was cos a catani guy knocked the ball away but it didnt deserve a 50m penalty.

When you have crap umpires over-umpiring the game the rule is a nightmare.

Was very sceptical about the jumpers at first, but i reckon they were brilliant. Would be a very good alternate strip if ever needed.

Yeah i thought umpires were very ordinary on saturday.

I thought the jumpers would look crap but they did look really good. Looked better on some blokes than it did on others though.

I didn't see an Ellinbank game on the weekend due to the fact I went to see the mighty blues. But I was told of the rule and seriously thought they were pulling my leg. Absolutely ridiculous rule, but not only that, umpires in this league struggle to ajudicate the siple rules, let alone a messy rule. Need to find out who brought the rule in. Did the umpires go to EDFL, or did EDFL simply inform the umpires of the rule. The other thing that I got told was that coaches were told just before the game, if this is true, that is simply unacceptable. Why wouldn't the coaches be informed at least a week beforehand. I am sure EDFL will imply that Club delegates were told at some stage and they were told to inform their coaches. Again that is not acceptable either, the coaches should be informed directly, I know in many leagues they have communication with coaches alot in the way of coaches meetings 3 times a year where coaches are informed of certain things. The rule is a shocker and the way it was relayed to the clubs was just as bad!:thumbsdown:

Fortunately there were none awarded in our game. However it seems the head honchos at the league have got the rule wrong. In the AFL the rule is to stop the players from being infringed so that they cannot recieve the 1-2 (ala Sam Mitchell on Gary Ablett in last years Grand Final). In the AFL it is simply a 50m awarded from where the player is infringed. The new rule in the EDFL is some made up one.

The thing is sneak, you got the two best umpires in the league, if you are getting the 10 and 11th best or even worse they really do make some bad decisions with it. It makes it worse when you get an umpire that has been picked on all his life and his only opportunity to get back at those high school footy jocks is to pull them up for no reason just to frustrate the shit out of them and know they wont get a T**ty twister like they used back in the hike school days

The thing is sneak, you got the two best umpires in the league,

Best two umpires in the league? Were you at last years Grand Final? We got the two most officious umpires in the league. These blokes pay free kicks for the sake of it. No because they are there.

I didn't see an Ellinbank game on the weekend due to the fact I went to see the mighty blues. But I was told of the rule and seriously thought they were pulling my leg. Absolutely ridiculous rule, but not only that, umpires in this league struggle to ajudicate the siple rules, let alone a messy rule. Need to find out who brought the rule in. Did the umpires go to EDFL, or did EDFL simply inform the umpires of the rule. The other thing that I got told was that coaches were told just before the game, if this is true, that is simply unacceptable. Why wouldn't the coaches be informed at least a week beforehand. I am sure EDFL will imply that Club delegates were told at some stage and they were told to inform their coaches. Again that is not acceptable either, the coaches should be informed directly, I know in many leagues they have communication with coaches alot in the way of coaches meetings 3 times a year where coaches are informed of certain things. The rule is a shocker and the way it was relayed to the clubs was just as bad!:thumbsdown:

The EDFL informed the umpires of this rule, the umpires were directed to use it for only very blatant offenses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you seen the new rule actually written down or just going by what umpires say. I have seen the rule as it is meant to be from an email from the vcfl to direct umpires after last weeks game, and it says to pay only one of them.
Must of been a few complaints about is so the vcfl sent emails out to most leagues i think.

No I havent seen it in writing, it was more of a rash thing the teams were only told of about 20 mins before the game started. It would be good to see the written definition from the vcfl though

Remove this Banner Ad

New Rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Back