Next Generation

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 2109389

Makes you wonder how the bloke is anywhere near the national setup tbh. Some levers being pulled in the background for sure.
Yeah I don't get it. With Warner, yes, his path was unusual but his technique was always pretty sound. JFM is not like him.

This isn't the first time Ponting has talked JFM up either.

I didn't understand the amount of attention he got for the WC squad, he was playing on roads in India and partly in the UAE. Yet he actually struggled in the BBL, and then later in the MLC. He'd struggled in the Caribbean, seeing the pitches are very slow, and the ball won't come onto the bat like it does in the IPL and UAE.

Watching the MLC, it's like , this is why he wasn't picked for the WC, and understandably. He needs to learn to play on all different surfaces and learn how to build an innings rather than go from ball one every time

1726214789608.png

Fraser-McGurk can be trained, but he is not the answer at the top, that said, neither is Steve Smith...
Much as I don't like him, Bancroft and Renshaw should at least get a chance to forge a career as our openers.

Our Best XII: Bancroft, Renshaw, Head, Smith (if we must), Marsh, Green, Carey (+) (*one more chance)
Our batting is shite:
Our bowling is something to be envied:
Starc, Hazlewood, Boland, Johnson (f he can stay fit), Bartlett (f he can stay fit), J. Richardson (f he can stay fit). Lyon or Todd Murphy.

- This is the early where we needed a Chris Hartley or Darren Berry.. damnit Gilly

He is very positive about Fraser-McGurk. Concerns me.
Ponting had JFM at the IPL and what i took from the podcast was that he was more hopeful from a red ball point if view rather confident. Warner always had a good technique he was just super aggressive but he fundamentally played straight.

Ponting admitted he had no handle on Shield cricket which probably highlights what I’ve said.

Inglis is already 29. Surely Carey is moved along sooner rather than later? If not Inglis might fall through the cracks and not play much test cricket, which would be a shame. He deserves a crack at it but the clock is ticking and Aus might elect to go with a younger face for a longer term by the time opportunity presents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inglis is already 29. Surely Carey is moved along sooner rather than later? If not Inglis might fall through the cracks and not play much test cricket, which would be a shame. He deserves a crack at it but the clock is ticking and Aus might elect to go with a younger face for a longer term by the time opportunity presents.
Check when Gilchrist debuted

Carey is better than Inglis. We’re not dropping Carey because it would be “a shame” for Inglis not to play test cricket, or to stop a younger player stepping up.
Debatable. Carey deserves the summer as the current option but he's hardly been flawless.

It's just my opinion that Inglis will probably win us more tests with the bat than Carey. Will Inglis lose us more tests with missed opportunities behind the stumps? I think that gap in ability has closed.

FMD.

So we need to pick players now because they might miss out.

I've heard it all now.

Debatable. Carey deserves the summer as the current option but he's hardly been flawless.

It's just my opinion that Inglis will probably win us more tests with the bat than Carey. Will Inglis lose us more tests with missed opportunities behind the stumps? I think that gap in ability has closed.

Inglis is not flawless either.

He was sloppy behind the stumps at times in the World Cup when he came into the side with several missed chances and stumpings at times.

Carey has gotten better over the past couple of years and was excellent behind the stumps on low tracks in the 2023 tests series against India in India

I also recall Carey winning a test off his own bat with 98* in quick time to help win the 3rd test against NZ earlier this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Next Generation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back