Next Generation

Remove this Banner Ad

McSweeney has a wonderful technique but so did Shaun Marsh and he averaged 30 at Test level, runs are what matter and he needs to score big in this Shield season to push the case.
53, 67, 117, 6, 55 and 127no in his last 3 shield matches. Hopefully can keep it going.

Last edited:
"Australia has a promising new batting hope, with NSW’s Sam Konstas becoming the youngest player to score a Sheffield Shield century since Ricky Ponting."

Oh wait, that was actually said about Teague Wyllie, who is currently nowhere near the WA XI.

Maybe we just hold our horses a bit and see how these kids develop over the next couple of years before having them in conversations about national selection.
I get where you are coming from, but with a quite a few more matches before the start of the test series, if he keeps playing like he just did, you are going struggle to find a reason to keep him out

I get where you are coming from, but with a quite a few more matches before the start of the test series, if he keeps playing like he just did, you are going struggle to find a reason to keep him out
The reason to keep him out is that he would be 19 years and one month old, with 8 first class matches and maybe 700-800 FC runs.

The step up in class is massive these days, bigger than it's ever been, it would be lamb to the slaughter stuff, just crazy.

Ricky Ponting had 2,000 FC runs before playing test cricket, and more recently Cameron Green had almost three years between FC debut and test debut. If we followed the same standard, Konstas would around 21 upon test debut, which is still very, very young for a test batter.

There is absolutely no need to rush these guys, none at all.

The reason to keep him out is that he would be 19 years and one month old, with 8 first class matches and maybe 700-800 FC runs.

The step up in class is massive these days, bigger than it's ever been, it would be lamb to the slaughter stuff, just crazy.

Ricky Ponting had 2,000 FC runs before playing test cricket, and more recently Cameron Green had almost three years between FC debut and test debut. If we followed the same standard, Konstas would around 21 upon test debut, which is still very, very young for a test batter.

There is absolutely no need to rush these guys, none at all.
As I said, I agree with the sentiment of not rushing players, but if those numbers continue in the next few rounds it wouldn’t shock me if he ends up in the team.

With Green potentially out for the series, someone will need to come in. Bancroft got a pair, Harris cashed in on a flat deck, and the young fella dominated.

There's only been three NSW players to make their test debut in the past ten years.
There's been 1 in the last 7 years and he got dropped despite averaging 144 at Test level with a century in his last match so a Tasmanian could come in.

CA (based in Melbourne) and the selectors (2 Victorians and a Tasmanian) will want their NSW boy in though!

still hanging on to Stonis for some reason...?

(also wouldn't they be better off playing the Melbourne game on the Cup Day public holiday, rather than as a D/N game on the previous day?)

maby they have asked for flatter tracks this shield season 3 out of 3 games were draws.
It would be great if the captains were trying to be creative and look at ways to push for results rather than let games Peter out for draws.

No issues with pitches allowing batsmen a chance to score runs, but still want to see some results.

It would be great if the captains were trying to be creative and look at ways to push for results rather than let games Peter out for draws.

No issues with pitches allowing batsmen a chance to score runs, but still want to see some results.
Junction Oval and the WACA got what they deserved, SA did well to hold on for their draw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Next Generation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back