List Mgmt. Next Skipper

Who will be the Next Captain of St Kilda?

• Leigh Montagna

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Nick Riewoldt (will never retire)

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Jarryn Geary

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Jack Newnes

Votes: 54 38.8%
  • Jack Billings

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Jack Steven

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Mav Weller

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • David Armitage

Votes: 46 33.1%
  • Luke Dunstan

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, I have no idea what his ceiling is. He's pretty mysterious because I never really anticipated him getting to the level that he's gotten and some of what he shows from time to time is seriously impressive. His ability to break tackles and evade in tight and then run extremely fast and run and carry has been impressive the last couple seasons, but what was interesting today was his disposal was excellent. A marked improvement from last season.

His desire and aggression around the ball are extremely admirable. He's a great leader and I'm really thrilled we picked him up. If he continues to improve from here we have a pretty damn impressive player.
Agreed 100%. I hope his footy just keeps going from strength to strength, not because I want another gun player in RWB, but because he's a player I want playing for us for a long long time.

Probably one of the more passionate on the field too. You can tell he's a proud clubman and really loves the club.

I'd definitely be on board with something like - Armo C, Newnes and Weller VC

Weller has come from nowhere in captain material and I wouldn't feel let down! Bruce could be a smokey but not just yet. People bash geary because his disposal has been so bad last two years. I close my eyes every time he has the ball. Nearly all the time he finds a way to turn it over. He can shutdown an opponent for sure. I just get worried about his disposal and for that I don't think we need a maxwell type captain... Always thought newnes was in line for awhile but he is just a campaigner. Weller looks all heart and soul to me.

So, you still reckon you should have just delisted Mav, eh Bluey?

external

"Er..........."

Could be wrong but I thought he was a loose cannon at Gold Coast?

All I could ever work out was there was a lot of tension with Campbell Brown who he ended up in an aggressive fist fight with at training. To me that made him seem a better guy than I thought. I watched his last game at GC and he was near best on ground for them playing as a rebound back. He must have had close to 30 possessions. The year he arrived I was at the Junction oval preseason training and he won me over with his really respectful interaction with fans and just general excellent attitude. I have met him a couple of times since and he is never any different. He seems to be an extremely well mannered and polite young guy with impeccable interpersonal skills. He was completely the opposite to what i had him pigeon holed as.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know him personally and he is a great bloke to be around but doesn't have the seriousness or maturity to captain the football club IMO.

I think Steven, Newnes, Weller and even Geary are better candidates.

I'm not a huge fan of Armo as captain either, he's an awesome lad type who would be a great guy to chug beers with but his personality doesn't scream leader. Newnes isn't a jokey smiley type, he is intense and upright. He looks you straight in the eye until you get nervous. I would follow him into battle in a heart beat. A captain needs to be a spokes person, on field leader and face of the club at sponsor stuff, charity events etc. Newnes is personable but serious like Rooey and is the complete package.

I'm not a huge fan of Armo as captain either, he's an awesome lad type who would be a great guy to chug beers with but his personality doesn't scream leader. Newnes isn't a jokey smiley type, he is intense and upright. He looks you straight in the eye until you get nervous. I would follow him into battle in a heart beat. A captain needs to be a spokes person, on field leader and face of the club at sponsor stuff, charity events etc. Newnes is personable but serious like Rooey and is the complete package.
100% right.

Isnt Roo arrogant? I'm sure you said that previously.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Next Skipper

Back