NFL NFL's Meanest/Toughest SOB

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is it, whose that bad ass mother that will hit ya like a brick wall everytime you come across his path?
Whose that bad ass mother that will get up and laugh at ya when you hit him like a brick wall?
Whose the one guy that goes where angels fear to tread?

Offensively i think there is only two real contenders for this crown:
Hines Ward and Anquan Boldin - these two dudes go out of their way to make sure they get contact everytime they go near the ball. They wont run out of bounds, they will run back to the middle for extra yards everytime. No backwards or sideways jukes from these boys, full tilt straight ahead everytime they get the thing.

On defense its hard to split them as most guys are genuinely tough but for me Ray Lewis would have to be the one that seperates himself in this category. He fights every down to the end, goes past the level that many will. He plays injured every bloody week but never gives an inch away.

Re: NFL's Meanest/Toughest SOB!!!

Steve Smith is one mean mf!! Even beats the crap out of his own team mates. Agree with Hines Ward. If tough also means fearless going for the ball then these two are hard to top.

Brian Dawkins on D looks scary.

Steve Smith is one mean mf!! Even beats the crap out of his own team mates. Agree with Hines Ward. If tough also means fearless going for the ball then these two are hard to top.

Brian Dawkins on D looks scary.

Tough can be interpreted many different ways i guess, but however each individual interprets it may make this thread interesting as well.

Just on Boldin again, his courage to come back after that knock he got against NYJ last year was unbelievable.

No offence, but listing WR's as the meanest toughest guys in the NFL? Have you guys played football? WR's have it easy all week long and then maybe have to endure less than a handful of hits each Sunday.

This is a tough question but a few that come to mind are Bob Sanders, Lorenzo Neal, James Harrison, Albert Haynesworth, DeMarcus Ware.

If you are talking O, there is little way you can go past the oline... Too much stuff that doesn't get picked up in the trenches.

Ray Lewis deserved a mention on D.

Boldin gets it for toughness, not so much meanness.

Ward is a stone cold muther****er, 'specially when blocking (Ask Rivers)

[youtube]OPbraVljIrc[/youtube]
[youtube]4QGKlluCU0o[/youtube]
General clips (Including those above)
[youtube]nbLNFiQSTyE[/youtube]

Boldin? Are you kidding me? Who the hell fears Boldin? Ward, yeah I agree with because he'll shatter your face and end your career if it means it getting his fellow WR extra yards.

As far as the baddest, that would be Ray Lewis circa early 2000's. Not so much anymore. Rodney Harrison is not only 'bad' but dirty ( as voted as the dirtiest player in the NFL by his peers). Current players deserving of a mention for tough, fearlest hitting are Bob Sanders, Brian Dawkins, Shawn Merrimen and on offense, Brandon Jacobs.

No offence, but listing WR's as the meanest toughest guys in the NFL? Have you guys played football? WR's have it easy all week long and then maybe have to endure less than a handful of hits each Sunday.

This is a tough question but a few that come to mind are Bob Sanders, Lorenzo Neal, James Harrison, Albert Haynesworth, DeMarcus Ware.

Say you're saying running over the middle of the field or running the same way as the ball with your eyes firmly on the ball knowing you're about to get smashed by a LB or safety is not tough???

In AFL when someone takes a mark running the same way as the ball we all cream our pants about how gutsy it was (and it is). But defenders in the NFL have more 'freedom' to simply run through the receiver.

I think the WRs in this regard show a hell of a lot more guts/toughness than some D players.

Say you're saying running over the middle of the field or running the same way as the ball with your eyes firmly on the ball knowing you're about to get smashed by a LB or safety is not tough???

In AFL when someone takes a mark running the same way as the ball we all cream our pants about how gutsy it was (and it is). But defenders in the NFL have more 'freedom' to simply run through the receiver.

I think the WRs in this regard show a hell of a lot more guts/toughness than some D players.
Well the question wasn't toughness purely...

Well the question wasn't toughness purely...

Fair enough although can't agree with his assessment that WRs have it easy. Some do no doubt but plenty of others don't.

Easier to go with the toughness. What does "mean" mean actually? The ugliest? Dirtiest?

Fair enough although can't agree with his assessment that WRs have it easy. Some do no doubt but plenty of others don't.

Easier to go with the toughness. What does "mean" mean actually? The ugliest? Dirtiest?
I think 'mean' would probably be best served to mean 'unnecessary or overt aggression' without going overboard. (Ala Haynesworth 06, which would be dirty)

On that...
[youtube]CwxMRPTsYeo[/youtube]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ohhh. I meant.... Lemieux8? Haha.

In all seriousness though, I find it hard to go past Keith Bullock. Tha guy is nuts. Also, Jared Allen looks like one scary mofo when he plays. Seems like a good bloke off field though.

Try watching Boldin/Ward/Smith regularly and you will see what we are saying.

Those Ward clips are great but you can't even compare these guys at all to other positions who are taking a pounding and pounding others all game and at practice also.

If I were a WR I would want to be making a hit or two like that every game so I would be considered "a football player" as one of the clips said about Hines Ward.

I am not trying to take anything away from being a WR as it takes incredible skill and an amazing athlete to do what they do all game and the best WR's certainly do take a pounding. But meanest and toughest? Even then meanest and toughest ones like you guys have mentioned can't come close to some of the monsters in the NFL at other positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL NFL's Meanest/Toughest SOB

Remove this Banner Ad

Back