List Mgmt. NGA, Father son watch

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFLs approach to the problem of declining Aboriginal draftee numbers is completely backwards. JUH, or NWM, or other top 20 picks were always going to get on a list. Allowing the NGA clubs to get the highest rated Aboriginal players will make no difference. It’s the lower ranked players, the ones coming from further back, that need better support. But how do you think the clubs will spend their (meagre) NGA resources? On the best prospects, or on the marginal ones, the ones who are harder work and need more support?

The whole thing is a joke. The AFL, not the clubs, has all the money. The AFL should do a broad-based Aboriginal development program itself, and abolish the NGAs completely.

The AFLs approach to the problem of declining Aboriginal draftee numbers is completely backwards. JUH, or NWM, or other top 20 picks were always going to get on a list. Allowing the NGA clubs to get the highest rated Aboriginal players will make no difference. It’s the lower ranked players, the ones coming from further back, that need better support. But how do you think the clubs will spend their (meagre) NGA resources? On the best prospects, or on the marginal ones, the ones who are harder work and need more support?

The whole thing is a joke. The AFL, not the clubs, has all the money. The AFL should do a broad-based Aboriginal development program itself, and abolish the NGAs completely.
I'm sure the clubs could see the value in putting resources into kids that they could pick up as rookies (any NGA not picked up in draft can automatically be listed as a rookie). For sure they would primarily focus on the best kids but that is the system. There is enough incentives for the kids, they have to buy in as well

I'm sure the clubs could see the value in putting resources into kids that they could pick up as rookies (any NGA not picked up in draft can automatically be listed as a rookie). For sure they would primarily focus on the best kids but that is the system. There is enough incentives for the kids, they have to buy in as well
Need a deal like the Suns got with the NT indigenous talent.....extra list spots made available for it to work.

I'm not entirely sure. I'm fairly sure there's still the restriction on eligibility to be a draftable academy player vs an honorary academy player.
Just now you can draft them wherever, doesn't need to be from pick 40 onwards.
Happy to be proven wrong on that though.

E.g. Wanganeen Milera would still not be available to us, but Keeler would have.
I am that's a big NO.

Keeler, the same as Newchurch were from Pt.Augusta which is our NGA zone.

City born/based indigenous lads like Wanganeen -Milera/Rankine etc aren't in any NGA (indigenous) zones...Benny Barrett is only eligible to Port because of his New Guinean heritage i.e. he's not of Australian indigenous heritage, same deal with Borlase for us being born in Eygpt.

I am that's a big NO.

City born/based indigenous lads like Wanganeen -Milera/Rankine etc aren't in any NGA (indigenous) zones...Benny Barrett is only eligible to Port because of his New Guinean heritage i.e. he's not of Australian indigenous heritage, same deal with Borlase for us being born in Eygpt.
That's what I said.

I am that's a big NO.

How is that young boy from Port Augusta going bicks that you told us about earlier in the year?

Saw a piece on afl website today that with imminent arrival of Tasmania into the AFL that the AFL will be doing the following

"Given the impending arrival of Tasmania – and with North Melbourne currently having access to the state's talent in its Next Generation Academy – the AFL has also committed to reviewing the zoning criteria ahead of next season.

"It is something we're committing to review, both the zones and the eligibility criteria for NGA players. We'll commit to having that in place for the 2025 national draft," the League's head of football performance Ned Guy said"

Power, Saints, North father-sons invited to state Combine - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1190731

Looks like Welsh only invited to local state combine. Might actually get him as a rookie with such a deep draft at this stage
I think it would be very dangerous to not nominate him F/S for the National Draft on the chance he slips to the rookie draft(not happening IMO).

I think it would be very dangerous to not nominate him F/S for the National Draft on the chance he slips to the rookie draft(not happening IMO).
Why would we not nominate him? We just have to hope that he drifts to undrafted and can then prelist him for the rookie draft, can we not?

Why would we not nominate him? We just have to hope that he drifts to undrafted and can then prelist him for the rookie draft, can we not?
I have absolutely no doubt we'll be nominating him for the National Draft.

Current rules mean clubs have to nominate before the national draft if a player will be a national or rookie father-son, with the tweak giving more scope to make decisions during the live draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Current rules mean clubs have to nominate before the national draft if a player will be a national or rookie father-son, with the tweak giving more scope to make decisions during the live draft.
That's the current rules. The 2024 tweak, I believe, means that, if undrafted, we could prelist him in the Rookie draft.
Happy to be corrected, if wrong.

That's the current rules. The 2024 tweak, I believe, means that, if undrafted, we could prelist him in the Rookie draft.
Happy to be corrected, if wrong.
Either way I would expect we nominate him just like Levi Ashcoft will be a Lion.

Good sign for Mitch Stevens that he's been selected for the U17's trial for Vic Country who play NSW/ACT at 10.45AM AEST Saturday at Avalon Oval. In the other game Vic Metro play Qld. Do well in these trials usually leads to being selected in the U17's Grand Final day curtain raiser. Live stream at the link.

Vic Country

#NAMESURNAMEHTSTATE PROGRAMCOMMUNITY CLUB
1ArchieTaylor178GWV RebelsCobden
2HugoMikunda179Geelong FalconsBell Park
3BrodieAtkins181Gippsland PowerDrouin
4ZacharyO'Keefe177Gippsland PowerMaffra
5JoshLindsay182Geelong FalconsNewtown & Chilwell
6TobySinnema179Dandenong StingraysDevon Meadows
7SamNiklaus183GWV RebelsWarrnambool
9HunterWright187Bendigo PioneersGolden Square
10RileyHilliard186Dandenong StingraysBeaconsfield
11QuinnHarvey188Dandenong StingraysLangwarrin
12ArchieLeclerc190Dandenong StingraysCarrum Patterson Lakes
13JesseMellor186Geelong FalconsGeelong West Giants
14NateMarchant189Dandenong StingraysMount Martha
15BenCoote191Geelong FalconsOcean Grove
16JobeScapin187Gippsland PowerInverloch-Kongwak
17WilBennett191Bendigo PioneersSwan Hill
18MitchellStevens184Gippsland PowerHeyfield
20CooperGlenwright-
McGuane
188GWV RebelsEast Point
21GeordieRichardson186Geelong FalconsGeelong Amateur
22OliverJohnston194Geelong FalconsNewtown & Chilwell
23JoshGranger196Dandenong StingraysBonbeach YCW
24ShaunWatson193Bendigo PioneersMildura
25FraserMarino195Dandenong StingraysBonbeach YCW
26TaironAh-Mu198Dandenong StingraysBerwick

NSW/ACT

#NAMESURNAMEHTSTATE PROGRAMCOMMUNITY CLUB
1LachlanCarmichael182Sydney Swans AcademyMosman Swans
North Shore Bombers
2JakeFairman175GWS Giants AcademyGanmain Grong Grong
Matong
3NedHardman175Sydney Swans AcademyMosman Swans
North Shore Bombers
4LouisJans180Sydney Swans AcademyManly Warringah Wolves
5LachlanMoresi179GWS Giants AcademyAinslie Tricolours
6TyShepherd183GWS Giants AcademyEastlake
7JackWarden178GWS Giants AcademyMangoplah Cookardinia
United Eastlakes
8CodyGardiner178Murray BushrangersNorth Albury
10NoahChamberlain191Sydney Swans AcademyEast Sydney
UNSW Eastern Suburbs
11KaidenMcNamara186Sydney Swans AcademyTerrigal-Avoca Panthers
12LucienSennitt185Sydney Swans AcademyEast Sydney
UNSW Eastern Suburbs
13HarrisonWilson187Murray BushrangersLavington Panthers
14RyderCorrigan185Murray BushrangersLavington Panthers
15JimHouston194GWS Giants AcademyHay
Pennant Hills Demons
16MaxKing191Sydney Swans AcademyCardiff Hawks
17JarvisHemmings180GWS Giants AcademyWilloughby
North Shore Bombers
18OscarClifton196Sydney Swans AcademyEast Sydney
UNSW Eastern Suburbs
22Bailey-DeanLatanis182GWS Giants AcademyIngleburn
South West Sydney
23RileyHayman183GWS Giants AcademyKellyville/Rouse Hill
East Coast Eagles
24LennyKoller195Murray BushrangersAlbury
25RileyHansen191GWS Giants AcademyBelconnen
26LiamHetherton194Murray BushrangersNorth Albury
30ReeveSimmons197Sydney Swans AcademyKillarney Vale
Cardiff Hawks

Half time VC by a point.
Very scrappy game, NSW/ACT lads look to be more physically developed to my eye probably because most are from the Swans/GWS Academies.

Mitch Stevens has taken a couple of decent marks and had a few touches, still lightly built and looks like he'll be a smaller unit than his old man Mark....kicking looks very decent.

One thing out of this match...The Swans have another absolute star coming their way in Max King. Not "that" Max King.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. NGA, Father son watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back