News Nice touch by the Geelong players

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
There's a sad story in todays Hun about an 11 year old who is about to die from a tumour and is hoping to make it to christmas.As he knows he's about to die he picked out his own coffin,a Geelong Football Club box,and has put his membership number and favourite player [Selwood] number on it.He's also got all the Geelong players to sign it.

The devoted football fan - who has spent his past fragile week compiling a football record, putting in order every statistic from every game this season - has also chosen his coffin.

His eyes lit up as he explained that it's a custom-made Geelong Football Club box with his membership number at one end and Joel Selwood's No.14 on top.

The entire Cats side has signed his coffin.
Link to the story in todays Hun

Hopefully Seth can make it to christmas

Terribly sad, poor kid and family glad the club and players helped it out.

Put a damper on my Xmas thinking bout this tbh

The poor darling. That's just horrible for him and his family. Lovely of the Geelong boys to help, though very sad.

Stories like this certainly put a lot of other things into perspective.

Heartbreaking. I am glad that the players could give him such a fantastic season! Words are inadequate at this point.

as a parent there is nothing worse than reading stories like this. What a brave bloke and it's great that the boys at the club could do something for him that lightens his load.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is so terribly sad...poor little fella. I really like how footy clubs respond to things like this, so much of what they do goes unpublished. Here's hoping his family gains strength from his fight. :(

What a terrific kid. He has courage and wisdom way beyond his years, and all due kudos to all his family for the way they've so obviously brought him up.

Nobody deserves to endure that sort of horror, let alone a champion boy like Seth.

That our club responded as requested is heart warming, but then, how could you not?

I know this goes against the grain but the Geelong players are the worst for volunteer/community work or help with special needs people. I approached the club about donating anything for a auction for a handicapped school to raise money for much needed resources. The club said yes and when it was forward to the players to sign a football or a jumper they said no.

It was that poor from the players that when Sydney Swans were asked they sent a full jumper signed with all the players and they are not even in the same state. That really left a sour note.

Dont get me wrong, this is not a hate post. Im a passionate Geelong fan as any body but i was surprised with this response from a personal experience.

Sure this is a nice touch however in the big picture they are actually very poor considering this is the only school for handicapped kids in Geelong.

JS, Understand your disappointment, but afterall you must remember we're dealing with people in jobs, the basic human element is number 1.
That's why there's a Christmas.

I know this goes against the grain but the Geelong players are the worst for volunteer/community work or help with special needs people. I approached the club about donating anything for a auction for a handicapped school to raise money for much needed resources. The club said yes and when it was forward to the players to sign a football or a jumper they said no.

It was that poor from the players that when Sydney Swans were asked they sent a full jumper signed with all the players and they are not even in the same state. That really left a sour note.

Dont get me wrong, this is not a hate post. Im a passionate Geelong fan as any body but i was surprised with this response from a personal experience.

Sure this is a nice touch however in the big picture they are actually very poor considering this is the only school for handicapped kids in Geelong.
Actually a fair few players do charity work on a consistent basis. Primarily, Selwood, Mackie and Hawkins. In fact I think that's the only thing Sel really writes on his Twitter. How he made friends with a disabled toddler. How he went to the Geelong Hospital. How he is doing a marathon for disabled kids. How he asks for donations for sick kids. He's a good guy, would not mind at all if he was captain.

Sorry Johnsmith05 but my personal experience is completely different. We had direct contact with James kelly and Jimmy Bartel and they were awesome.

IThe club said yes and when it was forward to the players to sign a football or a jumper they said no.

Talk about being an ungrateful and whining. The club said they would help but they couldn't do a signed jumper. You call them 'poor' and otherwise go out of your way to besmirch them.

Have you thought why they said no? Logistics? Commercial agreements precluding such activity? Did they know you weren't some con trying it on? Maybe they have a plan on how they do community work.

Charity is for the individual concerned to decide how they want to contribute and not to be told how they must contribute.

i find that very hard to believe. mostly because i doubt that the PR machine at the club would come back with the message 'well, the players said no'.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Nice touch by the Geelong players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back