Delisted Nicholas Winmar

Remove this Banner Ad

Code:
Pos Number Player           Age    Games    Price        2009            2008            2007       
                            DT     SC     Played    DT Avg    SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg
FWD 17 WINMAR, Nicholas        18    0    $89,500    $94,200    0    0.0    0.0    0    0.0    0.0    0    0.0    0.0

Watched a bit of the Marngrook Footy Show where Raph was a guest.

Talked about Winmar. Raph said he was a good mover, but had trouble with his shins in the pre-season. About 2 weeks away from playing.

Is known as "Cuz".

http://www.saints.com.au/season2010/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/98256/default.aspx

Speaking exclusively to saints.com.au, Winmar said; “I had no idea I was going to get drafted to the Saints and to be honest I thought I would be staying in Perth. But now I am here I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.”

“It has been pretty disappointing but I guess most first year guys go through it, so I am now really focusing on next year and getting my body right for pre-season.”

“Lenny Hayes was the first person I heard from after I was drafted, and watching him now, along with Nick (Riewoldt) and Brendon (Goddard), they are just a step above everyone else in the way they prepare and train.”

He is fast, but don't get too excited. Flashy, not much substance to his game. Much more upside to Hutchings imo, but he's gone:(

Much more upside to Hutchings imo

?

Hutchings gives it everything, but at 181cm and without being real quick or a long kicker, he didn't need any injury setbacks.

Clearly the Saints see more than you do, having invested pick 32 (rather than rookie list spot) on Winmar.

by "jet" do you just mean "fast"? Or is there a little more than that to him?

I can't really put other word's in Lovell's mouth, but I did get a surprise in one game when he took off - certainly quicker than his draft camp 20m sprint time (although noing his repeat sprint time was pretty decent). A good size at over 6'2 and is a nice kick.

Gotta get rid of that soft tissue stuff, and I think the club put the cue in the rack for the rest of this season to get him right to have a decent crack at it next year. Would surprise (under Lyon's current approach to younger players) to see him play AFL next year, but I'd expect him to start causing a few headaches in the VFL.

He just doesn't get the footy enough
That was my point with Hutchings - he can actually get it
No clubs ever made an error with a draft pick:rolleyes:

He just doesn't get the footy enough
That was my point with Hutchings - he can actually get it
No clubs ever made an error with a draft pick:rolleyes:

Saints have made errors before, but its obviously a bit soon to make that call in this case. It's no more apparent an error now than it was a year ago.

Fair call. Obviously want to use him as an outside receiver who has pace. Have seen him play for about 7 years now, and was really surprised he went so early, if at all. Best of luck to him, he's a nice young bloke, hope he gets a chance and gives it his best.
Am a huge Hutchings fan - quality person, unfortunate he lacks a bit of pace and maybe height. 1 kid who would give it absolutely everything and make every sacrifice needed. Hoping someone gives him another crack.

Repeating the AFL's pre-draft prediction:

Draft range: 32-77
There is a genuine possibility the Saints could select him with their first pick at No.32. The club's recruiters rate enormously Winmar's versatility and ability to run from half-back. A fluent mover and penetrating kick, Winmar was ranked equal second in the kicking test at this year's draft camp. Collingwood and Hawthorn have also been linked to Winmar.

Not sure how anyone could be surprised, nor why another team's supporter would want to shitcan a 19yo on this board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was wondering the same thing Bourky, is he anychance of cracking into our seniors?

Status update please.

Facebook status?

He played Friday night against your mob. Limited minutes. Nothing special, but not much to judge him on.

What's your new user name going to be?

Good prospect, but hard to see him playing any games in the first third of the season. After soft tissue injuries in 2010, he'll need to have a sustained run of good performances in the VFL (unless we have a run of injuries to the Gram, Geary, Clarke, Dempster, Polo and Ray types).

Saw him play for WA in '09 and his class is obvious. He seems a bit laconic, but he will be a v good player. Won't really need to work like a ferret anyway, will cruise outside and be the designated receiver as often as they can get it to him imo.

Reckon he'll play well v Cats.

Re: 2011 Player Reviews

Nick "Cuz" Winmar #17

2010 was a year to forget for Nick Winmar, with various injuries ending up in stress fractures and an early end to the year.

A more promising pre-season in 2011 led to an AFL debut in round 9, in which he was dumped heavily in tackes twice and had a limited impact on the game. Despite this, he was given another opportunity the following round in Perth - but again not was prominent.

He has looked sore at times in VFL games, but always puts his body (which is yet to fill out) on the line. We just haven't seen enough of his top end speed - although there were glimpses from time to time. He remains a lovely kick of the ball (this was evident in draft camp testing).

He only played 12 VFL matches, averaging 15.4 possessions.

However, the Saints have seen sufficient potential to have awarded him a 2 year contract extension during 2011.

He had a good mentor in Brendon Goddard, and has also been able to tap Raph Clarke for advice.

I know this board dosen't get used much but can someone please enlighten me on how Nicky Winmar has progressed.

Thanks.

NICOLAS WINMAR

VFL Senior Games: 14
VFL Senior Goals: 3
VFL Senior Averages: 11.5 disposals, 2.86 marks and 1.71 tackles
VFL Dev Squad Games: 2
VFL Dev Squad Goals: 1

2012 Player Rating: 3/10

Nicolas Winmar is one of the most interesting young players on the Saints list. There is no doubt he is loaded with talent and the club has enormous faith in him, evident by giving him long term contract couple years ago. The biggest issue with Winmar is has really struggled to perform on a consistent manner and has now found himself behind a lot of first year players in the pecking order.

Winmar’s season is tale of two halves, before being dropped to Development Squad and after regaining promotion to seniors.

Before being dropped
Disposals: 9.4
Marks: 2
Tackles: 1.4

In first half of year it appeared he was just cruising around and not really showing any real intensity or care in world. He had 4 games where he recorded fewer than 10 possessions and in all honesty it probably took too long to drop him to Development Squad.

After being back in seniors
Disposals: 15.2
Marks: 4.5
Tackles: 1.5

It’s fair to say that something clicked when he was dropped and this is one of the positives with being aligned with VFL side. If we were standalone he would have just been playing in seniors all year as there is no development squad. The pressure from beneath is positive as it keeps the Saints guys on their toes.

In last 5 games he really showed signs that he might actually make it, which is positive for Saints as he gives us some pace & hardness out of defence or on the wing. He has great ability to break the lines and can hit target by foot, although overall his disposal was below par, which I think came with lack of confidence.

Overall in 2012 Winmar collected 15 or more disposals on only 2 occasions and both those games he had it over 20 times. In 6 games he had less than 10 disposals.

There is no doubting that 2013 is a massive year for Winmar, he will need to be performing consistently from the start of year as likes of Newnes, Cripps, Dunell, Siposs, Saad, Milera have all gone passed him and can play the same role as Winmar.

If he can have a big preseason and performs next year it will be massive bonus for club as he does bring bit of x-factor and pace that is needed. Hopefully he takes a lot of confidence from way he ended the season and carries that into 2013.

Photo appears with approval and courtesy of Dave Savell.

247687_488869694459097_353883663_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back