Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

out of necessity we’ve played him predominantly on the inside this year, but ideally we get him some support so he can go to a 35% inside 65% outside player similar to the breakdown for GAJ. He’s been good on the inside but it’s on the outside where he can do the most damage.

Yup. Good mixture.

The conversation are about times where he has to go in for it himself. Not about staying on bottom of packs.

I must be seeing things then because I’ve seen Nick in the middle of packs every game, he weaves, sidesteps and glides out of a lot of them or lightning hands from them as well. He’s not a nose down bore into a contest Titchell type but I’ve seen him do that as well.

It's where he reaches in instead of body lining the pill and protecting it with his frame.

Nick is not that small that he has to resort to that technique.

Last night there was an example had he took 2 extra steps and put his body over it absorbed the contact he would got possession.
Instead he reached in from distance whilst the Lions opponent similar size bodylined the ball and knocked it free of Nicks reach.

These are the types of examples he needs to fix and what people are referring too.

Not the hyperbolic crap sideswipe and Kirby like to spout about trying to turn him into Titch or Tay style inside mid and trying to get concussion like Selwood or L.Ball.
They do that to put an argument up that NO ones actually made, to try appear "rational" in there response and belittle the actual point with an out of context argument.
People read it add a like and then proceed to talk about a comment that hasn't been made...

In other words you have no idea about what is being described when people talk about elite inside/outside players.

It's not about becoming Taylor Adams it's about becoming well rounded like Nathan Buckley became.

Like Judd, or Ablett jnr or Swan when needed they put the body on the line.
Nick is still working on it but will get there.

That’s your imagination. And the reason I know that is because of your stream of consciousness posts on how you want footy to be tougher.

Suggesting ND has some sort of shortcoming in 1v1 contests is nonsense.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was scragged at stoppage and off the ball all night (again), but gee he was the reason was got back in it. That second quarter was something else.

The skill to take two bounces at full tilt with guys right on your heels… then kick the goal… what a freak.

Scumps are Blind to that

Spot on gets hold at every Ruck Contests but Scumps some how don't see it

No. Nick is. But Nick does have some physical willingness/handling learnings to do to make him take the next step for genuine inside/outside midfield star.

Yes yes someone drop some contested ball stats here which is not what I'm talking about especially given what sometimes comes under "contested" banner.

Nicks a genuine generational player but he is also in year 3 and has a current weakness in his attack on the pill in a 1v1 contested situation where he has to put his head over it and body on the line. He has improved in this area in 24 so will likely iron it out more over the next 12 to 24 months.

Why risk Injury like that when he super damaging with ball in hand

We need players who can get the Hard Ball and get it to Nick

His weakness is he sometimes ball watches and lets his opponent hurt him when they get the ball and his tackles dont stick a lot of the time.
Not the only one with Tackling Issues

That’s your imagination. And the reason I know that is because of your stream of consciousness posts on how you want footy to be tougher.

Suggesting ND has some sort of shortcoming in 1v1 contests is nonsense.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The person/s with the imagination is certain group of supporters who can't see what is evidently there at times in games.

Nick at times could go harder in certain situations. Anyone who denies it is being will fully ignorant.

So what if I'd like footy to stop being bastardised into a non contact game.
What's that got to with anything, nothing that's what.

It's where he reaches in instead of body lining the pill and protecting it with his frame.

Nick is not that small that he has to resort to that technique.

Last night there was an example had he took 2 extra steps and put his body over it absorbed the contact he would got possession.
Instead he reached in from distance whilst the Lions opponent similar size bodylined the ball and knocked it free of Nicks reach.

These are the types of examples he needs to fix and what people are referring too.

Not the hyperbolic crap sideswipe and Kirby like to spout about trying to turn him into Titch or Tay style inside mid and trying to get concussion like Selwood or L.Ball.
They do that to put an argument up that NO ones actually made, to try appear "rational" in there response and belittle the actual point with an out of context argument.
People read it add a like and then proceed to talk about a comment that hasn't been made...
Class players can occasionally look as though they didn't commit when they are trying to take the pill while spinning out of the traffic and taking off rather than simply get wrapped up in a tackle for a meaningless ball up. Ricky Barham tried to execute a blind turn in the 81 grand final with Doull coming the other way and lost the pill in the process and many said he jibbed it including Thorold Merret- a committee member who said it to his face during the three-quarter time huddle sending our team into a fierce back and forth which distracted them from Hafey's message.

The story goes that Parkin pointed at our huddle and said-"Look at them-they are already beaten" or something to that effect. The verbal fracas is a true story. How could any one be so frigging dumb as to tell one of our match winners he is a jib when we are leading at three quarter time in a grand final?

Another one of those teeth gnashing tales for the books in the legendary history of this football club.

People heavily criticize and talk down Nick’s game because growing up you're taught to be a hard player, take on the tackler and put your head over the ball.

Nick has found a loophole in the system. He doesn't have to get his body beaten and bashed week in, week out, despite playing as a pure contested ball winner due to personnel and circumstances.

He's an incredibly smart footballer. I think we should all just appreciate that what he does is very effective.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Class players can occasionally look as though they didn't commit when they are trying to take the pill while spinning out of the traffic and taking off rather than simply get wrapped up in a tackle for a meaningless ball up. Ricky Barham tried to execute a blind turn in the 81 grand final with Doull coming the other way and lost the pill in the process and many said he jibbed it including Thorold Merret- a committee member who said it to his face during the three-quarter time huddle sending our team into a fierce back and forth which distracted them from Hafey's message.

The story goes that Parkin pointed at our huddle and said-"Look at them-they are already beaten" or something to that effect. The verbal fracas is a true story. How could any one be so frigging dumb as to tell one of our match winners he is a jib when we are leading at three quarter time in a grand final?

Another one of those teeth gnashing tales for the books in the legendary history of this football club.

That example is not what I'm referring too.

This is right.

We don't want Nick to be an inside contested machine. We want him to be the one getting it in space or receiving.
Nick is so good that he can win his own ball, pass it to himself and kick the goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is right.

We don't want Nick to be an inside contested machine. We want him to be the one getting it in space or receiving.

We do but there are times in games you also need to be the one to have a go.
Nick has improved a fair bit here this season but there are still moments he needs to fix which is what I said originally.
But offended posters that I dared to criticise a small part of his game try turn it into a different argument out of context arguibg things that were never said.

He can't be purely outside 100% of the time and frankly the best players are never that. That's Lipinski.

People heavily criticize and talk down Nick’s game because growing up you're taught to be a hard player, take on the tackler and put your head over the ball.

Nick has found a loophole in the system. He doesn't have to get his body beaten and bashed week in, week out, despite playing as a pure contested ball winner due to personnel and circumstances.

He's an incredibly smart footballer. I think we should all just appreciate that what he does is very effective.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Most of the time you're better off keeping your feet and staying in the contest than crashing into your opponent.

Nick is an attacking player, so he'll sometimes be looking to take the ball or knock it to his advantage whilst avoiding body contact - in order to burst into the clear. Lots of carry on about soft when it doesn't come off. Lots of wows when it does.

Last edited:
That example is not what I'm referring too.
I'm not fussed if he is protecting his body. Just as a genius can be forgiven his flaws more readily than a common garden variety plodder in any sphere of work or art, I would be happy for Nick to short step when running with the flight of the ball or avoid shoulder dislocation in a collision and miss months while being applauded for his courage.

But the fact is Nick win's a huge amount of contested ball and is a very effective tackler for his size. His game has no flaws in my opinion and we are blessed to have him.

Nick has improved a fair bit here this season but there are still moments he needs to fix which is what I said originally.
But offended posters that I dared to criticise a small part of his game try turn it into a different argument out of context arguibg things that were never said.

He can't be purely outside 100% of the time and frankly the best players are never that. That's Lipinski.
But he isn't purely outside 100% of the time. Nick wins plenty of his own ball.

He's been our primary hit target - moving through and collecting it at the feet of the ruckmen. There is nothing more inside than the feet of the rukmen at stoppage. He's averaged more clearances a game than Lochie Neale this year. 3rd in the league for total clearances - only 12 behind Cripps as the most. He's very much an inside/outside mid already.

He's been our primary hit target - moving through and collecting it at the feet of the ruckmen. There is nothing more inside than the feet of the rukmen at stoppage. He's averaged more clearances a game than Lochie Neale this year. 3rd in the league for total clearances - only 12 behind Cripps as the most. He's very much an inside/outside mid already.

Mate I was responding to the claim people want him as pure outside player rather then mixed.

I am not talking about sharking hit outs.

You are making an argument to something I wasnt talking about.

I'm not sure why it's so hard to get.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back