Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate I was responding to the claim people want him as pure outside player rather then mixed.

I am not talking about sharking hit outs.

You are making an argument to something I wasnt talking about.

I'm not sure why it's so hard to get.

I'm not sure why it's hard to get why shifting out of the line of the oncoming player and reaching for the footy is the percentage option when you've got hands and agility like Nick Daicos. Much more likely to get you the clearance rather than a repeat stoppage - even though it gets tutt tutts from the hard brigade on the rare occasion that he fumbles - or misjudges slightly and doesn't get there first. Nothing to be gained from head on contests unless we're in our end game mode - it just gets repeat stoppages.

It was strange, they actually couldn't move on the ladder, regardless of the result. I don't know why they didn't put in.

Their club culture is rotten, I don’t know why but they have a total loser mentality that started in 2020 and hasn’t been fixed since. Check out the Amazon Prime doco about the Covid season and you’ll see what I mean.

Their club culture is rotten, I don’t know why but they have a total loser mentality that started in 2020 and hasn’t been fixed since. Check out the Amazon Prime doco about the Covid season and you’ll see what I mean.

I remember well WC’s attitude in 2020, their hatred of the ‘hubs’, etc. Lots of whinging and whining. And coming from Simpson.

You may be right - that’s when the mental rot probably set in.

I'm not sure why it's hard to get why shifting out of the line of the oncoming player and reaching for the footy is the percentage option when you've got hands and agility like Nick Daicos. Much more likely to get you the clearance rather than a repeat stoppage - even though it gets tutt tutts from the hard brigade on the rare occasion that he fumbles - or misjudges slightly and doesn't get there first. Nothing to be gained from head on contests unless we're in our end game mode - it just gets repeat stoppages.

I am not talking about stoppage plays. You are.

I'm talking about 1 off moments in games with head on loose balls spillage where oncoming traffic is coming.
Him reaching vs taking 2 extra steps and using his body to turn and protect whilst he gathers is a better option then losing that contest by reaching in whilst the opposition crack in at 100% and take ot or knock it away.
N.Buckley used to make good use of said technique.

There was an example of it vs Lions in the 2nd half.
Anyway it's one small part of his game that I think he can improve on. Given the level he's already at I'm sure he will.

I am not talking about stoppage plays. You are.

I'm talking about 1 off moments in games with head on loose balls spillage where oncoming traffic is coming.
Him reaching vs taking 2 extra steps and using his body to turn and protect whilst he gathers is a better option then losing that contest by reaching in whilst the opposition crack in at 100% and take ot or knock it away.
N.Buckley used to make good use of said technique.

There was an example of it vs Lions in the 2nd half.
Anyway it's one small part of his game that I think he can improve on. Given the level he's already at I'm sure he will.
So you want the best loose ball player in the league by a big margin - both in terms of collecting them and creating from them - to change his approach in loose ball situations, because every now and then, his attacking approach to loose balls which is to clear from contact in the process of collecting isn't a good look... It's a wee bit nuts Loki.

So you want the best loose ball player in the league by a big margin - both in terms of collecting them and creating from them - to change his approach in loose ball situations, because every now and then, his attacking approach to loose balls which is to clear from contact in the process of collecting isn't a good look... It's a wee bit nuts Loki.
I'm not suggesting changing his entire loose ball game.
You and a couple of your friends have a real habbit of putting an argument forward that is taking the original comments out of context or just not plainly said. Also ignoring the rest of the comments in that post.

It's fine you are being either deliberately obtuse or ignoring the situations I'm referring too.
And I have an idea why, which would have something to do with oppositions similar criticism of him.

I'm not suggesting changing his entire loose ball game.
You and a couple of your friends have a real habbit of putting an argument forward that is taking the original comments out of context or just not plainly said. Also ignoring the rest of the comments in that post.

It's fine you are being either deliberately obtuse or ignoring the situations I'm referring too.
And I have an idea why, which would have something to do with oppositions similar criticism of him.
I just disagree with you.

My anology is to the old fashioned cricket commentary - where they crititicised a batsman for getting out to playing an attacking shot, but ignored the overall outcome of a player playing the same shot heaps of times and hitting heaps of 4s. Or like telling Steve Smith at his peak to not play across the line as he's increasing the chance of LBW.

Or in basketball when the consensus was to pass to the mid range shot instead of taking the 3, because you miss too many 3s, until someone actually did the maths on it and worked out - take the 3 and don't go for the mid range safer shot.

So yes, shifting off the line of the ball or trying to pluck is as an exit strategy will occasionally be costly, but watch how often it also works for him.

Last edited:
Agree somewhat jimmy. Peter could actually do what Nick does.
Cruelly cut down with leg injuries.
Spent his career up forward as a result.
One of the enduring Collingwood urban myths. Peter started as a forward and moved to the midfield. Had injury troubles, especially around 85-87 but then returned to the midfield for close to his most 2 productive midfield seasons in 88-89. 1988 was B&F and AA (equivalent) as a mid. It was Lethal who moved him back forward for his final few years. What a move for 1990

No. Nick is. But Nick does have some physical willingness/handling learnings to do to make him take the next step for genuine inside/outside midfield star.

Yes yes someone drop some contested ball stats here which is not what I'm talking about especially given what sometimes comes under "contested" banner.

Nicks a genuine generational player but he is also in year 3 and has a current weakness in his attack on the pill in a 1v1 contested situation where he has to put his head over it and body on the line. He has improved in this area in 24 so will likely iron it out more over the next 12 to 24 months.
Reckon it may be growing legs a bit though. I don't think it is a big issue and will get ironed out. He has been soi far ahead of the oppo as a junior then 1st season and a half wasnt in a many contested situations he is still working that part out. For mine Pendles is a good comparison, even though bigger in stature. He had to learn the same thing and has never been overly physical like a Cripps/Danger. Early days however hs pulled out of a good number of contests in a much more obvious way than Nick. Like Pendles, Nick will work it out.

He will also be better than Pendles cause he has virtually everthing Pendles has plus a serious goalkicking ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon it may be growing legs a bit though. I don't think it is a big issue and will get ironed out. He has been soi far ahead of the oppo as a junior then 1st season and a half wasnt in a many contested situations he is still working that part out. For mine Pendles is a good comparison, even though bigger in stature. He had to learn the same thing and has never been overly physical like a Cripps/Danger. Early days however hs pulled out of a good number of contests in a much more obvious way than Nick. Like Pendles, Nick will work it out.

He will also be better than Pendles cause he has virtually everthing Pendles has plus a serious goalkicking ability.
Something else he's obviously got over Pendles is pace.

I just disagree with you.

My anology is to the old fashioned cricket commentary - where they crititicised a batsman for getting out to playing an attacking shot, but ignored the overall outcome of a player playing the same shot heaps of times and hitting heaps of 4s. Or like telling Steve Smith at his peak to not play across the line as he's increasing the chance of LBW.

Or in basketball when the consensus was to pass to the mid range shot instead of taking the 3, because you miss too many 3s, until someone actually did the maths on it and worked out - take the 3 and don't go for the mid range safer shot.

So yes, shifting off the line of the ball or trying to pluck is as an exit strategy will occasionally be costly, but watch how often it also works for him.
You can have your 1 wood, and when its a weapon better than anyone else has, it's your go to. Doesn't mean that occasional use of the 7 iron isn't warranted. I think Nick will learn to be a bit more physical in certain situations like many super skilled mids need to early in their career. We are at risk of over discussing it because he is already on objective measures the best mid in the game for that last 2 seasons and will only get better.

You can have your 1 wood, and when its a weapon better than anyone else has, it's your go to. Doesn't mean that occasional use of the 7 iron isn't warranted. I think Nick will learn to be a bit more physical in certain situations like many super skilled mids need to early in their career. We are at risk of over discussing it because he is already on objective measures the best mid in the game for that last 2 seasons and will only get better.

US Open rough is usually so thick that conventional wisdom had you playing irons off the tee and those whose 1 woods were their one wood weren't considered that likely to win. Bryson Dechambeau ran the numbers and worked out that playing your second shot from 100 metres closer to the hole on every hole trumped playing your second shot from the fairway an extra 3 times a round - even with the hideous rough.

Reaching in rather than crashing the contest is a risk in some situations, but a risk worth taking if you are good enough to pull it off often enough.

I think we'd be mad to try to drill Nick into crashing in, as it will reduce his strengths and ability to exit with the footy. He might get slightly better at judging it, so it looks soft a bit less regularly, but hopefully he keeps his general approach to loose balls, which does involve looking for exit routes without crashing into blokes.

US Open rough is usually so thick that conventional wisdom had you playing irons off the tee and those whose 1 woods were their one wood weren't considered that likely to win. Bryson Dechambeau ran the numbers and worked out that playing your second shot from 100 metres closer to the hole on every hole trumped playing your second shot from the fairway an extra 3 times a round - even with the hideous rough.

Reaching in rather than crashing the contest is a risk in some situations, but a risk worth taking if you are good enough to pull it off often enough.

I think we'd be mad to try to drill Nick into crashing in, as it will reduce his strengths and ability to exit with the footy. He might get slightly better at judging it, so it looks soft a bit less regularly, but hopefully he keeps his general approach to loose balls, which does involve looking for exit routes without crashing into blokes.

That “conventional wisdom” was thrown out years ago by Mark Broadie. Don’t believe Bryson’s bullshit.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That “conventional wisdom” was thrown out years ago by Mark Broadie. Don’t believe Bryson’s bullshit.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Broadie might have done the original analytics, but Dechambeau bought into it an backed it over the way others were trying to play the course:

His first US Open Win went against the way the others were playing the course.

"I don't really know what to say because that's just the complete opposite of what you think a U.S. Open champion does" Rory McIlroy said

Broadie might have done the original analytics, but Dechambeau bought into it an backed it over the way others were trying to play the course:

His first US Open Win went against the way the others were playing the course.

"I don't really know what to say because that's just the complete opposite of what you think a U.S. Open champion does" Rory McIlroy said
Probably a topic for elsewhere - but bryson wasn't doing anything particularly different to the other big hitters. He didn't invent bomb and gouge.

Agreed but that doesn't mean there isn't any place for another option that may better suit a particular play. I don't think the implication is we ant or need Nick to be crash and bash just that on the odd occasion he hasnt committed to the contest as much as he could have. Reaching in and grabbing the ball as an attacking option is still his one wood but having other plays helps also. It a really minor problem but he has no problems that are nay bigger than minor.

Agreed but that doesn't mean there isn't any place for another option that may better suit a particular play. I don't think the implication is we ant or need Nick to be crash and bash just that on the odd occasion he hasnt committed to the contest as much as he could have. Reaching in and grabbing the ball as an attacking option is still his one wood but having other plays helps also. It a really minor problem but he has no problems that are nay bigger than minor.
Agree, but my point is that he's always likely to err to avoiding body contact - even if he errs less often. There will always be "squib" moments unless he changes his approach.

Nick never has to crash a pack. I don't care what it looks like, if him crashing packs is pleasing a couple of cheeto key pushing turds on bigfooty so they can feel better about themselves, then I don't care. I don't care if opposition players give him grief about it. He has so many bows to his game that 99% percent of other players don't have. They bag him for not crashing in , love to see them burn through the G past players , running bounces and kicking a goal.

Let players of his ilk, play to their natural senses & strengths. Just accept he doesn't have to bash and crash. There's a reason why Steph Curry in the NBA wouldn't be told to crash O Boards.

I hate the human nature that someone can do everything right and get no plaudits, but the one thing that isnt to everyones Elses " perceived standard" is magnified

People , not just pies fans, should be grateful to witness his abilities. I rate it similar to Judd , he was a marvel to watch before he got banged up

Nick never has to crash a pack. I don't care what it looks like, if him crashing packs is pleasing a couple of cheeto key pushing turds on bigfooty so they can feel better about themselves, then I don't care. I don't care if opposition players give him grief about it. He has so many bows to his game that 99% percent of other players don't have. They bag him for not crashing in , love to see them burn through the G past players , running bounces and kicking a goal.

Let players of his ilk, play to their natural senses & strengths. Just accept he doesn't have to bash and crash. There's a reason why Steph Curry in the NBA wouldn't be told to crash O Boards.

I hate the human nature that someone can do everything right and get no plaudits, but the one thing that isnt to everyones Elses " perceived standard" is magnified

People , not just pies fans, should be grateful to witness his abilities. I rate it similar to Judd , he was a marvel to watch before he got banged up

Huh this is just not true with Nick Daicos. Even opposition supporters who bring up this topic concede he is a star and great to watch.

I am also full of praise for him, what I find funny is any pointing out of potential improvement is met with akin howls of killing Bambi.

Thank God Gone Critical understood the topic at hand and the points made. Obviously he has also observed it. Again it is only one off pieces of play. No one had an issue with N.Buckley being well rounded and find it interesting they don't want Nick to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back