MotleyLemon

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Pretty simple, who do you prefer?

Pick 9 vs Pick 16 in the 2012 draft.

Thurlow has had his share of injuries/difficulty breaking into a good side, whilst Vlaustin has been an almost constant since drafted.

Both playing a HBFish role, Vlaustin probably better one on one, Thurlow better at racking the footy.

vlastuin has composure, and wisdom well beyond his years. smart, makes good decisions, and is hard as a cats head, will potentially be a captain one day.

thurlow is going to be a very impressive player, but i feel vlastuin is going to be like selwood... (no I'm not saying he's THAT good, but in that mould).

I haven't ever recognised Thurlow, Vlastuin plays as hard and direct footy as one could hope and has held down his spot in the side since day dot. Vlastuin.
This just negates your whole argument.

If you'd watched Geelong games, you'd have seen Thurlow. Or at least seen him and gone "wow this guys looks the goods".

I'm gonna have to go with Vlastuin for his composure, leadership abilities, and hardness for the footy. To be fair, though, Furlow hasn't been able to string enough games together since his debut to be compared imo

Good poll. Similar type players, both good kicks (think they both lead there club for kickouts). TBH I've never actually noticed or even knew who Thurlow was until he smashed a 119 in SC and I picked him up;). Since then I've looked out for him on the field in Cats games. Got good upside, been dubbed the next Enright by a few of the commentators and probably most of the cats fans.

Didn't vote though, haven't seen enough of Thurlow yet for it to be fair.

Vlaustin as I feel he is more of a match winner. Still has to develop his running ability but he played an awesome game in the losing Carlton final and kicked 3 from HBF against West Coast in his first year. Going to be an absolute gem for us once he eventually moves into the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vlaustin as I feel he is more of a match winner. Still has to develop his running ability but he played an awesome game in the losing Carlton final and kicked 3 from HBF against West Coast in his first year. Going to be an absolute gem for us once he eventually moves into the middle.
Honestly, I'm not sure he ever will permanantly.

Reckon the coach will be happy to have him at half back in the Corey Enright mould. He's reliable defensively, a good leader, tough as nails and good overhead. Could see him playing 200 games as a general across half back.

Honestly, I'm not sure he ever will permanantly.

Reckon the coach will be happy to have him at half back in the Corey Enright mould. He's reliable defensively, a good leader, tough as nails and good overhead. Could see him playing 200 games as a general across half back.

Had a similar discussion with a Richmond supporting mate. He wants Vlaustin to stay as a defender, he's great in one-on-ones and overhead, but perhaps doesn't find the footy that well. There'd probably be no need to move him in there either, if Reece Conca would just do something...

Thurlow played a couple of games as a wing/half forward last year and didn't look too bad, but I think he's more of a HBF/wing type. Was a bit quieter than usual on the weekend with 16 touches, but that was still 16 more than Vlaustin :p

Had a similar discussion with a Richmond supporting mate. He wants Vlaustin to stay as a defender, he's great in one-on-ones and overhead, but perhaps doesn't find the footy that well. There'd probably be no need to move him in there either, if Reece Conca would just do something...
Agreed. I'm not sure why every kid that's 180-190cm that shows promise simply has to move to the midfield. Why can't Valstuin be a half back his whole career? He has the skillset for it, and should only improve in those areas. He's not a noted ballwinner, not noted for speed or athleticism, he's a good kick and a composed kick but he's not a particularly surgical or damaging or long kick. To me, he is much more suited to being a medium defender.

Agreed. I'm not sure why every kid that's 180-190cm that shows promise simply has to move to the midfield. Why can't Valstuin be a half back his whole career? He has the skillset for it, and should only improve in those areas. He's not a noted ballwinner, not noted for speed or athleticism, he's a good kick and a composed kick but he's not a particularly surgical or damaging or long kick. To me, he is much more suited to being a medium defender.

Spot on.

He and Thurlow probably would be a very good complementary HBF pairing, come to think of it.

I probably haven't seen enough of Thurlow to compare him. Both will be very solid players for many years though

To be honest, I would much rather Vlaustuin play in the middle as the tough contested/clearance player ala Miles then go rest down back and play the Thurlow type. The one thing that irks me with dimma is that he tries to play players out of position. Captained Vic Metro and a majority of the time was in the middle. Its a waste of talent having him down back. He used to be a composed midfielder the was cool under pressure, now (IMO) he's turned into a panicky half back that fumbles a lot more than he used to and looks a lot less composed

I'm scared that Dimma has stunted the development of some of our younger guys by playing them out of position.

100% certain if Thurlow and Vlaustin were playing for the opposite clubs you wouldn't say that Rainman
Has nothing to do with the clubs, all about positioning. Vlastuin looks like a future midfielder and thurlow has been earmarked by Geelong supporters as a future half-back

Has nothing to do with the clubs, all about positioning. Vlastuin looks like a future midfielder and thurlow has been earmarked by Geelong supporters as a future half-back
You'd prefer a B-Grade Mid over Corey Enright II? o_O

To be honest, I would much rather Vlaustuin play in the middle as the tough contested/clearance player ala Miles then go rest down back and play the Thurlow type. The one thing that irks me with dimma is that he tries to play players out of position. Captained Vic Metro and a majority of the time was in the middle. Its a waste of talent having him down back. He used to be a composed midfielder the was cool under pressure, now (IMO) he's turned into a panicky half back that fumbles a lot more than he used to and looks a lot less composed

I'm scared that Dimma has stunted the development of some of our younger guys by playing them out of position.
Hardwick said Vlastuin doesn't have the tank to play full time in the midfield yet. Playing him in defence until he has one makes sense.

If Vlastuin can develop into a rebounding defender like Houli I wouldn't mind if he stayed in defence though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Vlaustin vs Jackson Thurlow

Back