Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers, Houston Astros
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/12/nine-serves-up-fast4-tennis.html

Have played this format a couple of times down the local club - very frustrating format. The no lets rule is ridiculous.

So Tennis Australia is trying to entice new people to the game - not sure why they think shortening the format to make it nothing like what the average viewer sees on TV is the answer...

The no lets rule seems bizarre to me, top players could easily take advantage of it.

What?

This is a glorified exho, as long as they don't try to implement these rules into real tennis then I don't care. Although, the no lets rule really should be a thing, it was tried on the challenger tour last year, I have no idea why players didn't like, speeds up play and takes away most of the arguements that come up between player and umpire, especially at that level.

What?

This is a glorified exho, as long as they don't try to implement these rules into real tennis then I don't care. Although, the no lets rule really should be a thing, it was tried on the challenger tour last year, I have no idea why players didn't like, speeds up play and takes away most of the arguements that come up between player and umpire, especially at that level.
I am talking about the rule in general, rather than its role in the exhibition tournament.

What?

What - most arguments are from dodgy line calls not lets. Lets are pretty straight forward to call and you might get 3-4 in a match.

Fun fact - despite the Big 4 pulling in tens of millions of dollars every year, players ranked outside of the top 70 typically run at a loss, when it comes to prize money/endorsements v travel expenses/coach expenses etc. Many players are obviously supported by wealthy parents or by their respective national tennis federation. Ernest Gulbis, for example, has a gazilllionaire investment banker father and actress mother.

Cant think of too many other popular sports where you struggle to make a living as the 70th best player in the world. The likes of Zac Dawson makes a living from AFL, FFS.

As for umpires - the top level chair umpires only make 60-80k.

This article kind of puts things into perspective

http://graphics.wsj.com/us-open-32/

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Takes away from the skill of the sport and brings in too much of a luck factor on serve. Like Ash Agar said, you can get an ace from the ball just dropping in the court. Its bullshit.

Tennis rules haven't changed for centuries. Its one of the beautiful things about the sport.

Lets waste about one minute total each match. Thats the average amount of time it takes Nadal to pick his arse between serves!

Takes away from the skill of the sport and brings in too much of a luck factor!
How is it any different
Takes away from the skill of the sport and brings in too much of a luck factor on serve!
I disagree that it takes away from the skill of the sport, if anything you could say it adds to it by having to react differently off the return of serve if it hits the net.
How is it any different to hitting the net during a rally?

How is it any different

I disagree that it takes away from the skill of the sport, if anything you could say it adds to it by having to react differently off the return of serve if it hits the net.
How is it any different to hitting the net during a rally?

Brings in another luck factor....net cords during a rally are enough. Will just bring frustration and head shaking.

What do they mean by Nadal v Verdasco/Philippoussis? It's only one match isn't it?

Who knows who cares its just gonna be a media holocaust of promos and gimmicks. I wonder how many times they'll be plug this campaigner. I already hate him more than nazis and the shit hasn't even started.

resizer.aspx

Yeah I'll think I'll watch the sydney international rather than this ch9 endorsed mickey mouse setup match

Remove this Banner Ad

Nine Serves Up Fast4 Tennis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back