Nine snubs Melbourne Storm again

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL fans in Q & NSW face the same problems NRL fans elsewhere have.

TV stations dont earn ad dollars showing events few viewers want to see.

Cherry picking the big games will work for the TV stations, not sure it will help us tragics week in, week out.

Foxtel seems to be the only answer at this stage to watch our teams play.

However, I thought in Q'ld and NSW afl fans at least get to watch some games live, albeit games they might not want to watch in particular.

^ Where's MelT when you need him? I am sure he or RobbieAndo would be able to fill us in.

Anyway, I am so looking forward to the *live* coverage of the Storm/Rhinos game at 1am Tues morning on Ch.Nein:D

^ Main Event either takes it live or close enough to Melbourne coverage on FN

C10 is national coverage on SAt nights, forget Sat arvo or Sunday arvo

Just a FYI - Seems coverage levels are the same this year. Just checked the guide for R1, FS has Dragons/Eels @ 11.30pm, Broncos/Cowboys @ 1am

i know that ch 10 shows the Saturday 2pm game live and that ch 7 shows the 1pm game live into the northern states.
ch 10 can sometimes show the 7.30pm game live depending upon whether the swans or lions are playing.

So it's at least 2 FTA AFL games live into NSW and QLD.
and it's NO FTA NRL games live into VIC.

Thanks guys.

We certainly have a long, long way to go.

So we were right AuckMel, some afl games are broadcast live into the northern states.

And to sum up :thumbsdown: down to the NRL for not inserting a clause in their contract when they signed the tv rights deal to show nrl games live or as close to live as possible into afl states.

And another :thumbsdown: to Ch.9 for not doing so because the ball's in their court.
Irrespective of Ch.9 claiming rl does not *rate* in afl states, at least the afl had the guts and foresight to overcome this barrier with their tv rights deal.

They get a much, much better deal than us. No doubt.

We've seen the ratings for SOO and and Grand Finals (which granted have had the Storm in them) and they're very good. It's frustrating 9 wont give games outside of these a chance, but we're stuck with that for now.

The NRL must work towards at least getting the Storm games shown live or near to it into Victoria on FTA tv when they sit down for the next rights deal. 10 takes massive ratings hits with their coverage, but at least they have the balls to support their code of choice.

And another :thumbsdown: to Ch.9 for not doing so because the ball's in their court.

Disagree here (& Auckmel re: the stations having "balls" for abiding by their contractual obligations)

It's not up to a private broadcaster, with responsibilities to their share holders to promote another private business to the detriment of their own bottom line. They are not a charity.

Do not kid yourself, 7/10 would not show a second of AFL live into the northern states if not forced to. Hence C7's desperate dance with Foxtel/Main Event in an attempt to satisfy the FNF demand, whilst avoiding getting reamed in the ratings. Simple fact is, whoever takes RL into Melbourne live on FN will get equally slaughtered as the AFL would if they had live FTA for FNF

It's up to the NRL, not the boradcaster to ensure that lack of live coverage into developing states IS a deal breaker, just like the AFL did last time round.

The stations don't like it, but just like the Victorian AFL ratings were far to important to pass up on the rights, the northern states, and in particular Sydney are far to important to pass up for whoever wins the RL rights.

Who wants live footy on a friday night? That would be 30 years away.

Lets get the Storm on tv first. And yes, I know it's up to the NRL to ensure this happens.

I still think 10 deserves a lot of credit despite having to show games. They seem far more supportive of AFL than 9 do for Rugby league, and especially outside their main markets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have to be. The AFL made it abundantly clear during the tender process that no coverage of Swans games was a deal breaker.

C10 would not show the games if not forced to, as they get killed in the ratings when they do. I do not equate that with "being supportive"

With the Storm, so long as the live coverage is their away games only.

They have to be. The AFL made it abundantly clear during the tender process that no coverage of Swans games was a deal breaker.

C10 would not show the games if not forced to, as they get killed in the ratings when they do. I do not equate that with "being supportive"

With the Storm, so long as the live coverage is their away games only.

Correct MelT...especially with the paragraph I have underlined, the Storm needs as many bums on seats as possible, though one thing to remember with that comment, Storm home games in Melbourne are shown live on foxtel against the gate and even though foxtel subscriptions aren't that great, we still get a decent crowd at home games considering.

yeah fair point CC, though FTA is a different kettle of fish. You have to remember that we live in the land of the cheap where people still expect everything for free. Lots of people around that still refuse to get Pay.

Butr was pretty much on the same track as you there, too counter productive to show the home games but not the away games. Particularly on cold, winter nights.

ch 10 can sometimes show the 7.30pm game live depending upon whether the swans or lions are playing.

Never live, but near live (on about a 30 minute delay).

Channel 7 have shown the VFL/AFL live into Sydney on a Saturday afternoon for 30 years as was pointed out previously (as a kid it was what I lived for, then Sundays it was off to Penrith Park to watch the Panthers, those were the days).

FNF was not even replayed on FTA in Sydney until the last 5-10 years, nor was Sunday football shown at all.

The AFL should be congratulated for making sure that this has been rectified to some degree and the NRL would be negligent if they didn't do the same in 2013.

As things stand I wouldn't have held my breath, but the with the Independent Commission on the horizon I'm sure it will be dealt with appropriately.

Channel Nine is a blight on the game of rugby league. An absolute joke. The sooner FTA rights can be wrestled from them, the better for the game on a national level. With any luck, Channel Seven will make a push in the not-too-distant future now they have committed to Matt Johns and his rugby league program.

Agreed jaysway. The Storm will be dealing with the Melbourne Rebels in 2011, they will need Channel Nine to step up to the plate for Storm fans living in Melbourne. Anything less than live games or at worse, one hour delayed coverage, isn't good enough.

Agreed jaysway. The Storm will be dealing with the Melbourne Rebels in 2011, they will need Channel Nine to step up to the plate for Storm fans living in Melbourne. Anything less than live games or at worse, one hour delayed coverage, isn't good enough.

Spot on, like ch7 do for friday night fixtures in Melbourne, not having to wait till some sh**house movie then the news has ended to watch the game at midnight. was extremely frustrating when living in Melbourne

at the next TV deal the NRL need to say "no NRL for you (any channel) unless all storm away games are shown live into Vic" next..

of course in the soup nazis voice and attitude

Remove this Banner Ad

Nine snubs Melbourne Storm again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back