Nintendo Reveals Their New Controller!

Remove this Banner Ad

nonchalance

Premiership Player
Mar 14, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Gaming Revolution? Or Final Nail in the Nintendo Coffin?

And I have no idea what to think.

hands-on-the-revolution-controller-20050915054852879-000.jpg

For months, years even, we've been hearing Nintendo reiterate that it does not want to be part of the same battle that Sony and Microsoft are deeply entrenched in. However, with a system like GameCube, the comparisons are inevitable. With Revolution and its one-of-a-kind approach to the controller, drawing these parallels just became a lot more difficult. This was an important message from Nintendo in our meeting. It wants to explore uncharted waters, be a blue ocean company, and not find itself sailing the bloody waters where the competition resides.

Revolution guarantees this. The main source of input is nothing short of unexpected and untraditional. It is essentially a wireless, square remote that works something like a computer mouse would in 3D space. Imagine sticking your hand into a virtual box and having your TV understand how it's moving in there. Now you're getting the idea.

Main Controller Features

* 3D Pointing. Sensors understand up, down, left, right, forward and backward.
* Tilt Sensitive. Controller can be rotated or rolled from side-to-side.
* Buttons Included. Has a trigger on its backside, face buttons, and a D-Pad.
* Multifunctional. Has an expansion port which can be used with different types of controller peripherals. Analog stick with two trigger buttons planned for left hand.
* Wireless. Totally wire-free. Currently there are no details on the max distance, source or power, or otherwise.
* Rumble Built-in. Included as a standard in all the controllers.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/15/commentary/game_over/revolution/
http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651224p1.html

Well.
We have two similar consoles and one different one.

That controller is perfect for anyone who ever ducks and weaves whenever they play games. Myself being guilty of that one.

I certainly hope that they're also going to release standard controllers incase the S hits the proverbial F and this thing doesn't work properly.

Stevolution said:
That controller is perfect for anyone who ever ducks and weaves whenever they play games. Myself being guilty of that one.

I certainly hope that they're also going to release standard controllers incase the S hits the proverbial F and this thing doesn't work properly.

You can plug Gamecube controllers into it.

CarnthePies said:
I do not know what to say... if I had to use a DVD remote for my Playstation 2 I don't think I'd use it.

Same for Nintendo...

It's not a remote.

It's a mouse that you can move in three dimensions, plus tilt.
Imagine a flight simulation where you're effectively holding the plane in your hand. Tilt it left, the plane tilts left, tilt right to turn right, tilt forward to dive, etc etc.
Imagine an FPS in which you hold a little ball with a stick in it in one hand. The stick controls movement. In the other hand you have a gun with control buttons. The mouse/keyboard combo finally has an actual competitor.

There's other stuff, but those are the two that sold me.

nonchalance said:
It's not a remote.

It's a mouse that you can move in three dimensions, plus tilt.
Imagine a flight simulation where you're effectively holding the plane in your hand. Tilt it left, the plane tilts left, tilt right to turn right, tilt forward to dive, etc etc.
Imagine an FPS in which you hold a little ball with a stick in it in one hand. The stick controls movement. In the other hand you have a gun with control buttons. The mouse/keyboard combo finally has an actual competitor.

There's other stuff, but those are the two that sold me.

It'd make a Cricket game very interesting. Using the controler as a bat to swing. Lots of possibilitys. Interesting to see what the developers some up with.

Now THIS is interesting. Just when a number of the games buying public have come out expressing their apathy for the PS3 and X360 (Not saying I'm one of them, I'll happily admit do being a shameless graphics whore, I just can't help it!!) Nintendo comes along and shakes things up. Things were looking a little bit iffy for Nintendo I must admit. As much as I love my cube it hasn't lived up to its (rediculously high) expectations, and I really thought they were taking this 'revolution' think a bit too far and I was expecting something much more gimmicky. At least if the Rev is not a success, it could be a very interesting turning point in the way we play games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm all for innovative approaches, good on Nintendo for their idea.

Even if Nintendo's new console fails,the fact remains that they dominate the hand held market which enables them to keep on trying new things.

There are some great possibilities there. Holding one in each hand you can play realistic sports games. Just need one strapped onto each foot and you can kick or handball a virtual footy. Online you could play kick-to-kick with people from around the world!

Unfortunately the reason nerds play computer games is usually because they don't have the dexterity to play sport. Now you're going to ask them to actually move their limbs? Nintendo are either brave or stupid. Time will tell.

Needs a recharge dock, too.

Appleyard said:
There are some great possibilities there. Holding one in each hand you can play realistic sports games. Just need one strapped onto each foot and you can kick or handball a virtual footy. Online you could play kick-to-kick with people from around the world!

Unfortunately the reason nerds play computer games is usually because they don't have the dexterity to play sport. Now you're going to ask them to actually move their limbs? Nintendo are either brave or stupid. Time will tell.

Needs a recharge dock, too.

I think cricket is an extremely good option there. use the controller as the bat. From what I've seen, looks like they'll have a dock on the finalised version. Your right, though could be a very bad move, or a great one.

It'll be interesting to see how third partys adopt it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nintendo Reveals Their New Controller!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back