News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this make it my "club" board now for AFLW?? So very confusing but i hope you dont mind. I guess we wait for more details when BOTH parties hold a media conference. ATM, they are talking to their local audiences.

As a Tasmanian, if there is a "map" on the jumper, I hope it will be small. something like a logo cut out of one of the stripes. I don't really like a "map" like jumper for non-SoO teams, especially one which is still very much linked to a Melbourne based team. Also, if it is small, they can wear the same top in Melbourne and Tasmania.

The thing I want most out of all this is a chance for Tassie girls to play together at home in Tas. That is good enough (for now) and more than we have ever been given. Things like the name or jumper are nice but it will always be.......artificial I guess to one side.

This could work because it is a "new" club. A north semi-move to Tas won't as you guys have a proud history and a lot of Tasmanians respect that and know, deep down, it will be a bastardization of 2 "clubs". We don't want a Kangaroos Tasmanian club, we want our own.

Wouldn't that logic resign the women's team to 2nd class citizen status before they even start though?

If the AFLW NMFC team is considered an equal partner to the male incumbent team then there shouldn't be any badging of their team name that wouldn't be acceptable for the male equivalent.

If it were the AFLW NMFC team then that would be correct.

But it isn't. We just hold the license.

It's both Tasmania's and the NMFC's ALFW team and accordingly compromises have been made to suit both parties.

Having both North and a whole State behind it has much higher potential for growth.

5 times+ at least.

We had two affiliate VFL teams at one stage, neither was named North Melbourne or the Kangaroos. Why the **** are people caring that our WAFL team contains the word Tassie. It's our team and it's not a step to relocation but if you want to be petty and not support it and see the club fail then go ahead.

It was our bid and it's our team. How is it not strengthening the club?

North nearly relocated.

North need more revenue.

North engage Tasmania for AFL games.

North revenue massively boosted.

North on/off field improve.

North want womens team.

North get a license with Tasmanian branding.

North get a State in addition to home support.

North in front of other "big" Melb clubs for a license.

North "supporters" have a cry about it.

:thumbsu:

Bollocks. I was there too. They were killing our club. This is an initiative by a strong club to benefit itself. The Huddle isn't called the North Melbourne Huddle but it's as NMFC as anything could be.

The YET TO BE DECIDED name we choose to give out AFLW team has zero to do with the fight we had a decade ago.

http://m.nmfc.com.au/news/2017-07-28/norths-tasmania-aflw-plan

Ok this article sets out it will be The north melbourne "tassie kangaroos". Im happy enough with that. Just like the north Melbourne nzi kangaroos or the north melbourne hypertec kangaroos. The tassie government is our sponsor

Again, the link I posted earlier basically reinforces that this is a pure 50/50 North Melb and Tassie side, the questions I have are:

How prominent is the map of tasmania on the guernsey?
Will the team be reffered to as Tasmania/North Melbourne or Tasmania?
When watching the game will the commentators refer to the club as the Tassie Roos/ Kangaroos or North Melbourne?
Will the media increase the calls for North to go to Tassie? If you don't think that has ramifications you need to have a rethink. It affects membership/recruitment and even influences the AFL.
Strengthening our ties in Tasmania is great now as financially it's beneficial and we are doing very well but then are we obliged to keep competitive to maintain our good work?

I reiterate it's great the club got this going it is truly fantastic, more North is always a great thing but we have to be very wary of the long term here. When Jabba floated that we should move to Tassie the resulting quote from Simon Lethlean prior to his indiscretion was "AFL footy boss Simon Lethlean, second only to McLachlan, was asked about the radical proposal on Melbourne radio. He said while the AFL could not make clubs relocate, “everything is a possibility”." that hardly is a reassurance that we won't at least have fight like the GC again in the future. Keep in mind the Arden St Precinct hasn't actually got approval yet so it can't be used as comfort (yet).

Keep in mind St Kilda got a licence with no strings, St bloody Kilda let that sink in.

I am cautiously happy with this. I need more info.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the look of the jumper, but using Tassie is as bad as using Norf on it imo, I don't think slang of names should be used officially, i think the Map+Kangaroo and having smaller font Tasmania and North Melbourne where that bulging Tassie name would be ideal.

I get it that some people won't like the Tas roo jumper, but it would be only for Tassie home games? Arden St games will be the stripes.
Think forward 5 years, will be entrenched in this comp, while Hakws, * , Swans etc be wishing they were in.
For once we don't get shafted to the end of the line like 2025? or never!
I'm pretty sure we knew it would be like this. much rather in now, than saying 'if only' or 'what if' for the next years.

I was surprised to read that 29% of the participants in the AFL academies are in the North Melbourne academies in Tasmania. That is an amazing statistic and a tribute to the great community work being done by our Club. As someone who has volunteered at The Huddle I am aware of the great work being done by people like Laura Kane and Bridget Barker and I know how devastated they were last year when we missed out on involvement in AFLW. I am delighted that this year their work has been rewarded. While other clubs are taking from the community through poker machines, we are putting into communities and being recognised for that.
As a long time North supporter I am well aware that we have only survived this long by being creative. We have a relatively small membership base; we get relatively small crowds to our matches; we don't have poker machines; yet we are surviving and thriving despite all that. A key to our strategy is partnerships: with Tasmania; with Wyndham; with the Scanlon Foundation and so on. These partnerships are successful because we give as well as take. For those who are so worried about a map of Tasmania on our AFLW jumper, it might be worth remembering that back in Bob Ansett's day North Melbourne was the first club to embrace commercial sponsorship and we were very happy to put Courage Breweries on our uniform.
Congratulations to all those at our Club who have been behind this successful initiative!!! You can count on my support.
100%
Excellent post!

Man there are some ******* crybabies on this board

Assuming that's pointed at me.

They are all legitimate questions, thinking that we should be wary and prepared long term is hardly crying about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back