No flag without GUN forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 5, 2004
Niddrie
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Airport West & Man Utd
Dermie on SEN1116 stated that the cats can't win flag without a gun forward or two. Adelaide got through twice but did have Modra during the year and Jarman in the finals.
I hate to say it but I agree with him.

i disagree, the game is changing heaps and teams are becoming less reliant on one single forward. You obviously have to have a top line forward line to win a flag just like you need a top backline and midfield, but whether or not you need a star in there is arguable. If we had our team with lloyd for instance at full forward replacing somebody else we would be considered close to premiership favourites and there would be no talk about our lacking forward line but if we were to make a grandfinal and the player we have become so dependent on, lloyd, was shut down we would be in serious trouble. this is why i believe we are just as good to have a group of players who are able to kick a few goals and midfielders who are willing to push forward and kick the odd goal. At the moment we are very capable of kicking high scores the only difference to us doing it and st kilda doing it is gehrig might kick 7 of the 20 instead of 2 or 3 players kicking 2 each. if we can get players like ottens and playfair to fire and take some good marks and make a contest at the least we have enough other talent in the forward line with the likes of chapman, ablett, johnson and kingsley who are all able to kick 4+ goals on their day. A forward line with brilliant mid size and smalls and a player who can take a contested mark is equally as good if not better than a team with a lack of depth but one star in the forward line.

All things being equal, Dermie has a point.Our forwards are too reliant on ball delievery.How many create chances from nothing or 50/50 balls.We lack creativity. Obviously the best Ive seen at this was Gary Senior but we dont have any Key forwards that comes close being to a Fevola or a Lloyd or a Richardson.Evan Ronnie Burns as flawed as he was, was still incredibly creative. Johnson maybe, hes kicked six against Brisbane and that takes something that most dont have.Basically,Im not looking for a 100 goal player but Im looking for threes forwards that have the skill to kick a bag of 8 on a given day but mostly gives 10-12 between the three of them.

I tend to agree with Ablett Factor, in the way that I find our forward line at full strength would be very hard to match up on. We have Ottens who would take the best tall defender, then you would have Playfair who would take the second best tall defender, then Kingsley who takes the third tall defender. Then you obvioulsy have Junior who takes the best mid sized defender, Steve Johnson who takes the next midsize defender, then you could throw Haynes, Mackie, Gardner or Chapman in to the mix.
You would not think that every one in our forward line would have a down day and we would only need around 3 or 4 from one or two of them and then around 2 or 3 from everyone else and with the midfield drifting in with a few goals, there is around 100 points and more often than not that will win you games.

I definetely think everybody is being too critical of our forwards. Give it another month to settle down and see how they are meshing then. You have to realise that Playfair and Ottens are completely new to the mix.

Ablett and Johnson have the creativity to make a 50/50 contest go our way, and Byrnes looks like he might have that quality.

Yes Geelong is reliant on delivery, but tell me a side that isn't. The ball doesn't have to come in lace out, it just has to be moved quickly. A.lynch was so effective at Brisbane because it came in so quick. Each quick wasn't perfect but he knew where it would be and he could create a contest for Akermanis,McRae, Hart etc. Ottens will do the same, but it just has to come in quick, he certainly won't be outmarked.

Going back a bit but was Peter Sumich a gun forward? Very good yes ,but a gun?
Steve Johnson ,GAJ and either Otto or King will be the keys if we are to win a flag. If we do win the flag this year i reckon i will go into the SEN studio just to see the look on Dermies face as he talks about the game.

Its a pretty soft observation really, the liklihood is we wont win one without a good key forward, but that does not mean thats the reason we cant win it. I'd say 2 of our bigger problems are still kicking for goals and delivery into the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turbocat said:
I serriously doubt Henry will ever be a Star.Gardiner would have to show more than he has so far but may be very good player if he can become consistant at his best level

Charlie has shown some outstanding form, he just needs to put it together on a consistent basis.

i saw an interesting article in inside footy this month about tom lonergan and it showed all the clubs young tall forwards and they are basically all no names. Guys like thurstans and hansen who are starting to show abit now are 22 years of age and our list was fairly young so it made me think you have to be abit easier when criticising our younf forwards.

ablett factor said:
i saw an interesting article in inside footy this month about tom lonergan and it showed all the clubs young tall forwards and they are basically all no names. Guys like thurstans and hansen who are starting to show abit now are 22 years of age and our list was fairly young so it made me think you have to be abit easier when criticising our younf forwards.

This is like Catch 22 or the chicken and the egg.
Currently we have young forwards that have not reliased their potential, so we have no guns and can not win a flag however if they reach their potential they may well be considered guns and then give us a chance to win a flag.
Few players are considered guns before they actually reach that level.
The questions is do the players on our list have the natural gifts to take them to the top , and I feel most of our young talls lack something

Turbocat said:
This is like Catch 22 or the chicken and the egg.
Currently we have young forwards that have not reliased their potential, so we have no guns and can not win a flag however if they reach their potential they may well be considered guns and then give us a chance to win a flag.
Few players are considered guns before they actually reach that level.
The questions is do the players on our list have the natural gifts to take them to the top , and I feel most of our young talls lack something

yeah i am the same as you and am not set on any of our young talls at this stage but the article showed me that none of the young talls on any list would please me at this stage either.
but we recruited some guy from the bush this year who they say can play a bit ;)

ablett factor said:
yeah i am the same as you and am not set on any of our young talls at this stage but the article showed me that none of the young talls on any list would please me at this stage either.
but we recruited some guy from the bush this year who they say can play a bit ;)

Yeah , .. so they say.
Dont get me wrong. The players on our list are not poor players but few have the package.
KK is frustrating because the man has the so man of the requirements to be a better than average player.
McCarthy on the have is one of the few forwards on our list that can actually get of the ground.
Mackie is so talented he reminds me of an aboriginal
Hard to judge Lonergan but from what Ive seen he's close to being our best potential key forward
and so it go on. Id dont want to be totally negative but AFL is just so dammed tough, youve got to be better than good to succeed

WestCat said:
Charlie has shown some outstanding form, he just needs to put it together on a consistent basis.

When????

I think we have to hang our hats on Nathan Ablett and Tom Hawkins

I think the rest are just average

Jack-Packenham said:
When????

I think we have to hang our hats on Nathan Ablett and Tom Hawkins

I think the rest are just average

for me the only thing stopping gardiner from being the answer to our centre half forward problem is about 3 or 4 centimeters, nothing to do with his ability. He has shown glimpses of brilliance such as the prelim against brisbane and other matches where he has done really well for a quarter or so.

ablett factor said:
for me the only thing stopping gardiner from being the answer to our centre half forward problem is about 3 or 4 centimeters, nothing to do with his ability. He has shown glimpses of brilliance such as the prelim against brisbane and other matches where he has done really well for a quarter or so.
as much as I was thankful for charlie chipping in with those 2 goals at the time I'd hardly call it brilliance. I do rate charlie as a player though and think that he will be value for us in years to come.

Sumich not a gun? What are you talking about!
Sumich was a brilliant player - 100 goal full forward and performed very well in big games! Including Grand finals

Jack-Packenham said:
Dermie on SEN1116 stated that the cats can't win flag without a gun forward or two. Adelaide got through twice but did have Modra during the year and Jarman in the finals.
I hate to say it but I agree with him.

geez , how can he say thatwith ottens in front of the stix......hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha, good to see his showing his true colours after reaching the zenith of his 2005 season in R1

Bojangles17 said:
geez , how can he say thatwith ottens in front of the stix......hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha, good to see his showing his true colours after reaching the zenith of his 2005 season in R1

I really starting to lose patience with these Richmond guys dropping in on our board. Look you idiot, get over it.If Ottens is such a bad player what have you lost.The question you should be asking is why you passed on Moloney.Meyer and Patterson are the kids you got for him, sit back be positive for these guys.
We didn't get Ottens to make a difference in a thrashing like last night, we got him to improve our tall man list which has done.

henneman_dud said:
playfair and gardiner will be stars of the future

Both can't kick

It does not matter how good you look when you get the ball. If you can't kick you might as well not get the thing in the first place

Remove this Banner Ad

No flag without GUN forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back