No suspension for Hird

Remove this Banner Ad

although this penalty seems alot, really it's not... $20,000 is 2 weeks pay for james hird... add on his televsion payments etc. it's less than that...

anyone that heard daniel ward on triple m on sunday would have heard him say that whilst he was suspended, he wasn't getting paid... assuming this is the case accross the board for all players, if james hird was suspended for 2 weeks, then he would have been penalised both finanically (around $20000) in wages, and not have played football...

so james wouldn't have batted an eye lid anyway, even though it appears the footy show are going 2 give him a chop out anyway

Fair result I think. A suspension would have been a joke. $20,000 is still a lot of money for any footballer so it is a fairly big hit.

I still don't agree with the $5000 for the club. They should have put that onto Hird's bill. The club had nothing to do with it.

I wouldn't expect $20,000 would mean a whole lot to Hird considering what he is probably making, even though it does seem a fairly hefty fine for something that wasn't that much of a big deal. As per usual something was blown out of proportion by the media and made something that most people wouldn't give a stuff about into headline news. Honestly who gives a rats arse if the players bag the umpires everybody else in the country does. Maybe if the umps actually use their "new powers" of explaining decision after the game properly like..."today i made some ****-poor descisions" players wouldn't crack the sads and have a go at them in which case Hird could have spent the $20,000 better like giving it to the Bullies...ha!

Originally posted by Adrian1
But why should they have to ?

As part of your employment if you had to go on a trip interstate would you expect to have to put your hand in your pocket and pay for yo accomodation ? Just because footballers are highly paid in relative terms why should they have to pay these sorts of things particularly if the club can get a sponsor to foot the bill.

Why SHOULDN'T they?

Melbourne has employed them, pays their wages ... is these guys had passion for their club perhaps they'd pay for the accomodation themself.

Yes, football has become more business and money orientated these days ... but that dosn't mean players should lose passion for the colours they play in!

Originally posted by Coach Required
LOL @ adrian1

go out and buy another membership !!

very witty retort. Just so you know though I actually have purchased eight memberships for the club this year for myself and family, so I don't think anymore are required at this point.

Just keep burying your head in the sand though Coach that everything is alright down at Tigerland.

Originally posted by bOmBeR_BoY1
Why SHOULDN'T they?

Melbourne has employed them, pays their wages ... is these guys had passion for their club perhaps they'd pay for the accomodation themself.

Yes, football has become more business and money orientated these days ... but that dosn't mean players should lose passion for the colours they play in!

Who knows as a last resort they may have asked them to do this, but there has been a great sponsor that has come out and provided the funds.

Jst because players don't pay for a nights accomodation does not mean they have no passion for the colours they play in. That is just stupid to suggest the two are linked

who said anything about everything being alright at tigerland adrian1??

we both have crap coaches and over rated players

the only difference is we have almost 26,000 members..... whats your tally? 21?

This is bloody ridiculous. However its good he didnt get suspended.

Umpires should be open to criticism as much as the players are. If an umpire isnt doing his job properly and is giving stupid free kicks (The Rioli 'almost a spear tackle' incident is a good example) then they should be open to criticism by anyone. If they dont like the criticism, dont umpire AFL games.

Originally posted by Coach Required
who said anything about everything being alright at tigerland adrian1??

we both have crap coaches and over rated players

the only difference is we have almost 26,000 members..... whats your tally?

21515 as at yesterday thanks for asking. You would think though the way many go on at Tiggerland that they had 40,000 members but in reality the difference between the numbers is really not that great.

And BTW I wasn't talking about coaches or players, but rather finances. You throw stones at Melbourne for acknowledging they are in a tight financial spot which amazes me considering Richmond are not that far behind us with former employees suing the club, the president guaranteeing loans and the Tiges considering asking the AFL for a handout.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depending on the nature of the "3 year commitment" that could be the true penalty.

It'll obviously be unpaid time, the question though is how much time?

Essendon have also been told to provide 'substantial' support to the initiative.

Originally posted by campbell
The apparent lack of integrety of the AFL is opened bare.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=143154

A total joke.Open slather guys, anyne can influence or say what they want and then say what their penalty will be.

And what's more amazing is that the AFL's own official site gave us this insight into the inner workings while other independant media outlets were trying to cover it up!

I mean really, Hird and Essendon were asked to provide submissions which also have dealt with what they considered an appropriate penalty, the commision then would have weighed up what they thought of the Essendon submission. If they thought it was reasonable they would have taken elements on board, if they thought it was a joke of a submission then things would have got a bit tougher for Hird etc. It's pretty normal

Not to mention that as the the AFL rules stipulated the maximum fine as being $5000, the suggestion had to come from Hird for a greater fine to be imposed. As above, if the AFL didn't think the suggested fine was big enough they would have said "higher James" or opted for the de-registration.

Originally posted by campbell
The spear tackle judgement is a rule. Remember Burgoyne last year.But don't let the facts get in the way.

But the spear tackle didnt even happen. How can the umpire judge something that didnt even look like a spear tackle and never did occur? If the tackle eventuates, then the umpire should call the free kick.. if nothing happends.. THEN DONT CALL IT.

hird is the richest player ever to play the game

his professional job, his afl contract, endorsments etc

easily the richest

he'd spend 20k on dinner

Yeah. Right.

Im just simply saying that umpires cant look into the future to view the oh so bad looking replays and make a judgment. So if the free kick DOESNT OCCUR, DONT PAY IT.. CALL PLAY ON.

It was dangerous looking but ive seen alot worse that hasnt been paid as free kicks.

Did it look bad because the player could have been seriously injured or did it look bad because it was an illegal tackle (Note: Not "had the potential" to be an illegal tackle)?

Originally posted by mustapha
Did it look bad because the player could have been seriously injured or did it look bad because it was an illegal tackle (Note: Not "had the potential" to be an illegal tackle)?

I hope they reward the next behind we kick as a goal... It had the 'potential' to be a goal...

Remove this Banner Ad

No suspension for Hird

Remove this Banner Ad

Back